Sign in to follow this  
Cheetah10

Sellers playing Cat & Mouse game in ratings.....

Cheetah10    10
Cheetah10

Surely... Once I've been notified that I have won the auction and do immediate checking out and payment.... my job (as buyer) is done......and I can be rated......

I have several sellers (of late) who sits back and wait for me to rate them first and only after they are rated.... then only do I get my rating.....

Gives one the feeling that they are expecting a negative rating and witholding just in case they get one so that they can give you a negative as well.....

Sellers should be compelled to rate once payment is received.....

ziggy2000    10
ziggy2000

Yes, I agree. As a seller I rate as the payment reflects.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I also rate as soon as payment has been received. It's the right thing to do!

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Surely... Once I've been notified that I have won the auction and do immediate checking out and payment.... my job (as buyer) is done......and I can be rated......

I have several sellers (of late) who sits back and wait for me to rate them first and only after they are rated.... then only do I get my rating.....

Gives one the feeling that they are expecting a negative rating and witholding just in case they get one so that they can give you a negative as well.....

Sellers should be compelled to rate once payment is received.....

Also been having this - shades of DK!

Makes me very irritated indeed!:disgusted:

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

We rate our buyers immediately a cleared payment has been received. The buyers part of the transaction is to make payment (within the sellers terms) and once thats been done they should be rated positively as they have fulfilled their part of the transaction.

I have previously posted that the negative rating option for sellers to rate buyers should be removed. My point is that the only time that a buyer should be rated negative is when an snc is filed and completed in the sellers favour. A negative rating with the caption "Sale not completed by buyer" should be automatic on completion of the snc. This would cut out revenge ratings as well as cut down on bobs administration work with dealing with sellers who revenge rate buyers for giving them a negative.

Another thing that would be useful and with bob's IT expertise I would think be very easy to implement would be to automate feedback. A box could be created on the sales page where a seller ticks off that the buyer has paid. Once this box is ticked, feedback would be automatically left to the buyer using a rating comment that each seller can customise and set. Ebay have this facility and it is very useful.

wayjen    10
wayjen

"....and sellers rate buyers on the basis of prompt payments and ease of transaction".

Bearing the above in mind, the Buyer pays promptly and you issue a tracking number within seconds or at times of posting the item(s) (some Buyers think this is a receipt). The Buyer has no clue what to do with this number even though they ask for the tracking number and or you tell them what it is for and what to do with it yet they still bother you with emails and messages to BoB because they want their parcel. Emails run back and forth and BoB gets involved and at the end of the day things turn nasty and the Buyer leaves a negative or in some cases the Buyer leaves a negative without contacting and or communication between them and the Seller.

Now whilst the Buyer has paid promptly and the Seller must rate a positive the whole experience has left a bitter taste in the Sellers mouth and that is also a factor here.

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

I rate when I post the parcel so that I don't miss any buyers out, it is usually only a few days at most after payment is received.

I don't agree with sellers that withhold ratings, and also not buyers who just don't bother to rate.

Some buyers, especially if they buy in bulk, will rate only one of the transactions, instead of all of them, but the expect the seller to rate them for all the transactions.

amcintyre    10
amcintyre

Compared to everyone else here, I am a small time seller - I only sell two or three items per week. I send the buyer a message through BOB immediatly after the auction has closed, thanking them for their support etc and giving them a overview as to what they need to do : complete the sale and make payment etc. As soon as payment is made I rate the buyer positively and then send them a second message showing what tracking number their item will be posted under and when posting will take place. I would never change a positive rating to a negative - and haven't as yet.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I follow the same procedure as amcintyre! Cannot recall more than one instance where I had a problem.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Some buyers, especially if they buy in bulk, will rate only one of the transactions, instead of all of them, but the expect the seller to rate them for all the transactions.

I find this fascinating - it is so easy to rate traders. Depending on the purchases - I try to make sure each item (no matter how small) is rated independently on its merits.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
"....and sellers rate buyers on the basis of prompt payments and ease of transaction".

Bearing the above in mind, the Buyer pays promptly and you issue a tracking number within seconds or at times of posting the item(s) (some Buyers think this is a receipt). The Buyer has no clue what to do with this number even though they ask for the tracking number and or you tell them what it is for and what to do with it yet they still bother you with emails and messages to BoB because they want their parcel. Emails run back and forth and BoB gets involved and at the end of the day things turn nasty and the Buyer leaves a negative or in some cases the Buyer leaves a negative without contacting and or communication between them and the Seller.

Now whilst the Buyer has paid promptly and the Seller must rate a positive the whole experience has left a bitter taste in the Sellers mouth and that is also a factor here.

Maybe then you should amend your rating text without changing it to a negative - something such as:

"Buyer paid timeously - but the ballache that followed made the whole experience one not to be repeated in a hurry..."

alloway65    10
alloway65

I have just received my first negative.....very upsetting!!!!

The seller rated me positive as I always pay within a few hours if not sooner. Then the Crown I received was load of rubbish compared to what was advertized. I wrote the seller a courteous e mail asking him to explain...no response in over two weeks...so then rated him negative.

By return I received a revenge negative rating and a notation calling me liar!!!

I have taken this up with Cuan.

Some Sellers!!!

Cheetah10    10
Cheetah10
Compared to everyone else here, I am a small time seller - I only sell two or three items per week. I send the buyer a message through BOB immediatly after the auction has closed, thanking them for their support etc and giving them a overview as to what they need to do : complete the sale and make payment etc. As soon as payment is made I rate the buyer positively and then send them a second message showing what tracking number their item will be posted under and when posting will take place. I would never change a positive rating to a negative - and haven't as yet.

This is good, but I am easily irritated when I check out (immediately as I do) and also do my payment whilst checking out and then..... when I get back to my e-mails ..... there is one from the seller telling me in no uncertain terms that an snc will be filed if payment is not reflected within xxx hours along with some other (obvious) rules applicable to the sale of his product......

The question is always..... Am I doing him a favour for buying from him..... or is he doing me a favour for listing his items??....

voldermort    10
voldermort
The question is always..... Am I doing him a favour for buying from him..... or is he doing me a favour for listing his items??....

& this seems to be the problem.......there is no favour bn done by either - one is offering an online service whilst one is shopping conveniently from home. It is called business.

Cheetah10    10
Cheetah10
& this seems to be the problem.......there is no favour bn done by either - one is offering an online service whilst one is shopping conveniently from home. It is called business.

Exactly..... and in my case.... being way out in the bushveld bundus.... I'd say the scale is more in favour of the seller doing me a favour.... I see things I need/want and can get it from the comfort of my own lounge.... Thanks sellers.... (although.... mostly.... I see things I don't want and don't need.....but it just seems to be such bargain and so innovative... I get it anyways)

svw    10
svw

Being both a buyer and seller on bidorbuy I have had the experience of dealing with both sides of the coin.

As a seller I rate as payment is received - sometimes things may get a bit hectic with trying to photograph and edit pictures for new listings - packing parcels for posting etc. etc... so I have made a point of once finishing with posting and e-mailing the buyer the tracking number to double check that I have rated them before filing a copy of their order with the tracking slip stapeled to it.

I also feel very strongly about the fact that it is very important to keep a buyer up to date with their order from the time they have won their auction or completed a buy now with e-mails. Internet buying especially for first time buyers can be very daunting and from this point of view as a buyer even though I am used to trading online I feel that there are some sellers who either in their choice of words can be very abrasive without even realizing it or what is even worse is just no contact whatsoever - this really frustrates me when I have paid etc. and then after a couple of days I have to e-mail the seller looking for my tracking number as I always try to work by the principal that once a buyer has paid I will always send them an e-mail stating when I will be posting their parcel - which is normally the next working day.

It concerns me deeply that some sellers can be so lax in their attitude towards buyers - ultimately you can have 1000 buyers but 1 unhapply buyer can be more detrimental to a business which on a trading platform such as bidorbuy effects all sellers good or bad.

Edited by svw

wayjen    10
wayjen

I agree to a point that a bad rating does have an affect on how you work on BoB or Buy and that's why communication between the Buyer and Seller is important.

Take our example here, we sold an item and the Buyer was not happy and rated us negatively. The Buyer did not contact us before the rating and did not contact us when we offered a refund (this was done twice) and I had to ask BoB to get involved. It took BoB intervention to finally get feedback from the Buyer and we have refunded him (should reflect in next few days).

It concerns me too that Buyers do not communicate with Sellers. It concerns me too that some Buyers assume that because they have a good track record that they can dictate your terms and conditions then have a problem when things go wrong and you have to leave a rating which is not positive.

Cheetah10    10
Cheetah10

I will never rate a seller on the quality of a product he is selling..... he is the middle man, BUT..... the correspondance and actions that take place after being notified that I received a sub standard or defective item..... that is important and my rating will be based on that....

Which brings another issue to mind.... If I receive a defective item..... am I compelled to send it back at my expense??.... The guy charged me R200 for shipping and when I sent it back..... it cost me R37.50..... He refunds me for the item..... not for my shipping....

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

@cheetah10 - if the item was defective the seller should have refunded you the shipping (both times!) in terms of the CPA.