Sign in to follow this  
Miss Jewels

New postal insurance regulations

Miss Jewels

I'm just wondering how the new postal insurance regulation of minimum R100.00 insured parcel will affect buyers and sellers?

Iems bought for under R100.00 can still however be insured, but should a claim arise, the post office will not enter into any formal claim.

A scenario is : Buyer wins an item for R85.00, however, the item is worth R250.00 The calucation on the item is R1.70 which the buyer pays. Ideally, the insurance should be R5.00 (if calculated on the value), but not many sellers will insure it for this amount as it is an expense on their side. The parcel is now lost....and there is no formal insurance - no claim. Seller now has to reimburse the buyer or alternatively, send another item. This is going to be a huge loss for sellers which is not going to go down too well.

My question would be to the IT department as to whether an option can be given at the checkout for the minimum insurance of R2.00 on all items under R100.00, and thereafter the standard insurance which is already automatically calculated.

voldermort
I'm just wondering how the new postal insurance regulation of minimum R100.00 insured parcel will affect buyers and sellers?

Iems bought for under R100.00 can still however be insured, but should a claim arise, the post office will not enter into any formal claim.

A scenario is : Buyer wins an item for R85.00, however, the item is worth R250.00 The calucation on the item is R1.70 which the buyer pays. Ideally, the insurance should be R5.00 (if calculated on the value), but not many sellers will insure it for this amount as it is an expense on their side. The parcel is now lost....and there is no formal insurance - no claim. Seller now has to reimburse the buyer or alternatively, send another item. This is going to be a huge loss for sellers which is not going to go down too well.

My question would be to the IT department as to whether an option can be given at the checkout for the minimum insurance of R2.00 on all items under R100.00, and thereafter the standard insurance which is already automatically calculated.

I'm not the IT Dept, sorry, but I do know that any item sent registered is automatically insured for R100 if a claim arises. Therefore items under R100 should ideally then be sent registered.

Miss Jewels

Thanks voldermort. We were at the PO today and sent parcels off. They still scan in the "required" insured total, be it R20, R30 or R60 as stipulated on the form. This means that they will still accept any amount. Their advise is that all items be insured for over R100 in case of a possible claim. It is not done automatically for insured parcels. Not sure if your PO works differently?

voldermort

Where I go if the item is insured at anything less than R100 eg: R60, R80 it is still charged at R100, apparently they won't/don't insure a parcel for less than that amount. That is the reason why if I possibly can, anything under that amount is always sent registered.

Seeds for Africa

Personally I dont think it even makes sense to insure for less than R100. We have had less than 5 parcels go missing out of over 5 000 sent in the last 12 months.

Miss Jewels

I've just contacted our PO again and explained to them the feedback I've been getting on the forum. The postmaster is not there today but one of the cashiers told me he was not even aware of this! Eish...that's bad. Thanks for the help voldermort regarding this. Grant, I absolutely agree with you on your point, but in the last 6 weeks myself, as a buyer and seller, have had 5 parcels gone missing/received empty. This is scary, but a reality.

lilythepink

Our PO also says that if an item is valued/declared at under R100.00 the parcel still has to be insured for R100.00. This has always been the case.

Seeds for Africa
Grant, I absolutely agree with you on your point, but in the last 6 weeks myself, as a buyer and seller, have had 5 parcels gone missing/received empty. This is scary, but a reality.

I guess it depends on what you are sending - seeds isnt something the average crook is going to steal.

alloway65

Just checked some PO receipts now, for the value stated even under R100 we were 2% of that value....R50.00 insurance....charged R1.00 for this insurance.

Miss Jewels

I thought I was not mad...thanks alloway65. We need to follow this up with out PO's.

alloway65
I thought I was not mad.

Now that is a rash statement to make...who agrees????

Miss Jewels

lol alloway65! I thought after all this time I was doing my posting wrong, but it was definately a boo boo from our post office. The "thought" should be in the bold letters like yours:toung:.

alloway65

I naturally have a loud voice and in my Corporate days I used to use it a lot....but I still like to slightly raise my voice on the Bob Forum...but not as loud as CAPS!!!!!:blush: