Sign in to follow this  
amcintyre

Hoover Concept One

RISadler    10
RISadler

I have one! In perfect sucking condition!

kyle2    10
kyle2

Hoover really sucks.........in a good way. LoL

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

And they last forever! Remarkable, sturdy old machines - not the modern-day ones!

svw    10
svw
And they last forever! Remarkable, sturdy old machines - not the modern-day ones!

Tell me about it! - I'm sure they design them nowdays so that they won't last - everythings plastic and replacement parts cost almost as much as a new machine so it's not even worth trying to repair...

RISadler    10
RISadler

My mother got tired of vacuming, so she bought a Stihl ... and as Stihl makes power machines for real men, my father now does all the vacuming.

svw    10
svw
My mother got tired of vacuming, so she bought a Stihl ... and as Stihl makes power machines for real men, my father now does all the vacuming.

Stihl vacumes - that's interesting...never heard of them before. The only stihl I think my hubby would be interested in is the still brewing kind...

kyle2    10
kyle2

Its veeerry Stihl, not as loud as a hoover............:grin:

RISadler    10
RISadler

Quiet? What, with a 2-stroke petrol engine?

Mustlovebooks    10
Mustlovebooks
Tell me about it! - I'm sure they design them nowdays so that they won't last - everythings plastic and replacement parts cost almost as much as a new machine so it's not even worth trying to repair...

I think everything is designed to break just after the warranty period has expired. My mother has a fridge which she inherited from her father and he bought it in 1957! It still works like a dream! One of those round-shaped ones.

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
I think everything is designed to break just after the warranty period has expired. My mother has a fridge which she inherited from her father and he bought it in 1957! It still works like a dream! One of those round-shaped ones.

These Pepsi and Coke fridges easily sell for 5, 10, 15 000 rands and work perfectly.

pepsi.jpg.6a254340eef932fc3f0af0406b9c5882.jpg

Today most appliances are made under "planned obsolescence" programmes and policies. This means that

products have a limited lifespan after which it becomes obsolete. Sad but true.

coke.JPG.13ffd22e3459d6a90d7bac3383764ce7.JPG

mrmouse    12
mrmouse

the Philips fridge we keep our medications in was purchased in 1971 it works perfectly and has never missed a beat , it maintains a constant 5deg cel with ease all year round , we carry loads of meds and would be hesitant to use a modern fridge for them .

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

But remember it is virtually impossible to get gas for the old fridges, freezers, etc, if the pipes get damaged and the gas leaks out. We were lucky with our 60 year-old-fridge a couple of years ago and it is still working fantastically!

kyle2    10
kyle2
But remember it is virtually impossible to get gas for the old fridges, freezers, etc, if the pipes get damaged and the gas leaks out. We were lucky with our 60 year-old-fridge a couple of years ago and it is still working fantastically!

They don't make em like they used to hey Lily? LOL:bigsmile:

svw    10
svw
They don't make em like they used to hey Lily? LOL:bigsmile:

How right you are - like a good whisky or a red wine - well brewed........

mrmouse    12
mrmouse

IVE GOT GAS!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

mrmouse    12
mrmouse

On a more serious note the new fridges are more efficient , do run on environment safe gas and are better insulated than the old units in general , a modern fridge uses up to 60% less energy than a 20 year old fridge , they may not be as robust or nostalgic but are probably better . I commissioned a 10 year old aircon in a new installation last week and it draws 70 % more power than a 2012 Gree aircon of the same size and BTU`s and even more on heat , that is why heat pumps are becoming popular for water heating ,the new gasses are extremely efficient at absorbing and releasing heat/cold .( But I still like my old Philips ).

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
IVE GOT GAS!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

The difficulty would arise, I imagine, as to how to transfer your "gas" into the thin pipes of a fridge or freezer! And then, of course, one might question the smell in the kitchen? lol