Sign in to follow this  
alloway65

Unadulterated Numismatic C**p (UNC).

alloway65    10
alloway65

I bought a (UNC) Uncirculated Crown on BoB a few weeks ago and from the pictures on the sellers BoB selling page it looked like a nice Crown, hence I bid on the Crown and won. Refer below pictures....the pictures of the Crown advertized was far superior to the picture I managed to scan from the relative BoB selling page.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3515[/ATTACH]

The Crown I received was as per the three scans below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3516[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3517[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3518[/ATTACH]

Can you spot the similarities between the advertized Crown and the Crown I received apart from the year of the Crown?

I immediately e mailed the seller as follows:

Dear ****,

I am a bit puzzled that you class this coin as UNC, your BoB pictures bear no resemblance to the coin received...the milling is blunt/worn how could this be with an uncirculated coin. Also something has been spilt/deposited on the obverse of the coin.

I have bought some crowns in the past that were sold as uncirculated which were definitely not UNC.........but this is the worst ever.

I just hope that you packed the wrong coin.

Have a good day

Best regards

David

alloway65

I am still awaiting a response!

RISadler    10
RISadler

Seller probably meant the coin has been uncirculated for the past fifty or so years.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn
Seller probably meant the coin has been uncirculated for the past fifty or so years.

bwhahaaha...ha.

David get your money back.

alloway65    10
alloway65
David get your money back.

I am not fazed by losing a few Rand, it is the principle the gets my goat......that a "respected" Numismatic BoB seller does not have the common courtesy to respond to my e mail/apologize!

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Yes and if you ask for your money back,no matter if it's R1 or R10 000,hopefully the seller will know not to place false advertised products in the future.There is one huge difference between the coins.

Empirex    10
Empirex

What a shocker...

But put it in some sulphuric acid overnight and it should come out just fine :biggrin:

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

The Dummies guide to coin collecting ...

QUOTE=alloway65;144170] I bought a (UNC) Uncirculated Crown on BoB a few weeks ago and from the pictures on the sellers BoB selling page it looked like a nice Crown, hence I bid on the Crown and won. Refer below pictures....the pictures of the Crown advertized was far superior to the picture I managed to scan from the relative BoB selling page.[/uOTE]

NEVER buy an ungraded coin from sellers with heavenly promises

You will almost ALWAYS lose about 80% of what you have paid for it ...

And even that would be a lucky guestimate grading wise ...

JUST STAY AWAY FROM FOOLS – good grief – how simple is it?

(I have done the same so I am actually talking to myself)

Pierre

alloway65    10
alloway65

As I mainly buy for the silver in the coins and only with certain exceptional Victorian Crowns I pay more than the silver price, the norm being paying around or less than the ruling silver price...therefore I don't really have much to loose.

But I must say I have I picked up some superb Crowns that have graded very high....some of which are listed on BoB. But I am always on the look out for proper UNC Silver Crowns.

One of my best buys was a batch of Silver Medallions that I bought for about 10% of the ruling silver price at the time!