Sign in to follow this  
Empirex

Krugerrands

Empirex    10
Empirex

In terms of the 1 oz Kruger; are there any specific dates that are in more demand / higher value than others?

I'm not talking about proof sets or the like, just your regular Krugerrand. Let's assume all coins are in the same condition.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

This is an interesting question. I'd like to know the value of 1967 KR's.

PBGold    10
PBGold
This is an interesting question. I'd like to know the value of 1967 KR's.

Nope, all the same.

Although some collectors may search for one of each year and would be willing to pay a premium.

RISadler    10
RISadler
Nope, all the same.

Meaning the same number of coins are minted each year?

PBGold    10
PBGold
Meaning the same number of coins are minted each year?

No, meaning the year itself does not affect the value.

The amount of Krugerrands that have been produced every year has varied considerably. During the Apartheid years S.A. was pumping out hundreds of thousands of Krugers every year, but once we got boycotted it dropped dramatically.

Never really recovered.

jwither    10
jwither

I am not aware that any of these coins carry a premium by date. These coins are not graded often either and I would not pay any premium at all for one if it was. There is some collecting of US American Gold Eagles but not much. And only MS-70 carry any premium of notice, including the 2003 PR-70 which sold on Teletrade several years ago for an absurd $36,000.

I primarily attribute this to the fact that completing such a set is prohibitively expensive for the average buyer and those who can afford it would prefer to buy real coins because these are bullion regardless of the fact that they are "legal tender" and shaped like a coin.

Recently, the authors of the coin book "Top 50 US Moderns" exchanged over 100 posts with other members on the NGC Message Boards about the list in their book. Some of the AGE were in their list. By my reckoning. almost every one of those coins are "dead money" because the only "compelling" reason to buy them is they are in this book and NGC has created a "Registry Set" for them. It is a pure marketing gimmick.

I would equally rate SA Krugerrands as "dead money" from a numismatic standpoint. Who is going to "collect" these given that a full set costs over 80 THOUSAND USD?

Edited by jwither

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Thanks for the response. I just thought 1967 ones might have more value than others.

Empirex    10
Empirex

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.

jwither    10
jwither
Thanks for the response. I just thought 1967 ones might have more value than others.

I not know that it does not for a fact. What I was explaining is why I would not pay a premium for it. What I described is true for any coin that fits this profile. I once was interested in the Swiss 1000 CHF gold commemorative proof coins minted from 1984 to about 1995 or so. The mintage for all of them is 500 or less. I bought two of them but ended up selling them at a loss. Though the mintage looks low and they are not easy to find, no one really wants them.

RISadler    10
RISadler

Well, logic dictates that if you slap a date on something, make two less than last year ... it'll be classed as rare by collectors and command a premium. Add some hogwash, arbitrary grading system and you're gold. :awesome: