Sign in to follow this  
Chernann

Seeking information - difference between Prestige vs Proof sets

Chernann    10
Chernann

I'm looking at acquiring a Natura proof set, but after some research I couldn't find any information about the difference between a Prestige set or a Proof set. Is this just the packaging or is there a difference in the strike/blank quality?

PBGold    10
PBGold
I'm looking at acquiring a Natura proof set, but after some research I couldn't find any information about the difference between a Prestige set or a Proof set. Is this just the packaging or is there a difference in the strike/blank quality?

Packaging basically and a lower release on the Prestige sets.

Prestige in wood box, Proof in Leatherette. The coins themselves are exactly the same and are proof quality.

The term 'proof set' is therefore a bit misleading.

Chernann    10
Chernann
Packaging basically and a lower release on the Prestige sets.

Prestige in wood box, Proof in Leatherette. The coins themselves are exactly the same and are proof quality.

The term 'proof set' is therefore a bit misleading.

Thank you for the clarification! In terms of numismatic value, does anyone really care in the aftermarket about what box it came in, especially since they are in a precious metal? I'm approaching this from a background as a US based collector so the large premiums on a box is a new one to me.

jwither    10
jwither

Actually, I consider the term "prestige set" misleading. The coins are proof strikes so it is a proof set. The US Mint also released "prestige sets" for awhile sometime between the late 1980's and mid-1990's. None that I recall were particularly expensive but all of them were overpriced, at least for awhile. I recall that the difference was that these sets included the proof American Silver Eagle. The difference in the packaging did not justify the price difference. I consider them a marketing gimmick, regardless of where such a set is from, and today the US sets do not carry much of a premium to my knowledge.

Chernann    10
Chernann
Actually, I consider the term "prestige set" misleading. The coins are proof strikes so it is a proof set. The US Mint also released "prestige sets" for awhile sometime between the late 1980's and mid-1990's. None that I recall were particularly expensive but all of them were overpriced, at least for awhile. I recall that the difference was that these sets included the proof American Silver Eagle. The difference in the packaging did not justify the price difference. I consider them a marketing gimmick, regardless of where such a set is from, and today the US sets do not carry much of a premium to my knowledge.

Thanks, this echoes my thinking. I found it confusing that essentially the same coins would command a different premium in a different box (as opposed to having been slabbed). That would make an empty wooden box worth thousands of rand to the right buyer!

jwither    10
jwither

It is just another way to seperate people from their money by fooling them. And if the premium is several thousand Rand, that is absurd.

Timeless Value    10
Timeless Value

Proof vs Prestige

And in some instances the proof sets and in lower mintage than the prestige sets!!!! Makes you wonder which is more valuable.