Sign in to follow this  
wishmewell

Lost confidence

wishmewell    10
wishmewell

In November 2009 I purchased a ring from a seller called Alass which I never received.

Many others at the same time never received their purchases from this seller and I was repeatedly asked to be patient by BidorBuy and told that they were in touch with the seller, and they felt he would honor his commitments once he sorted himself out.

I feel I have been very, very patient waiting several years to no avail. This scam (as I see it) was facilitated on this site and it has put me off buying from others here as it seems only faulty buyers are taken to task, but not the sellers.

I looks to me like Alass just walked away after ripping off many of your buyers.

I would like to know what happened about this incident and also to say that the incident broke my trust with purchasing on your site.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Perhaps you could send an email to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za and ask them what progress is being made in this matter. I remember reading a thread long, long ago that this seller is in the UK and BoB were dealing with the person but I'm not sure what progress, if any, has been made. Good luck.

qball    11
qball

Thank you for your feedback and comments, this is completely understandable.

We sincerely apologise for this, we were facilitating refunds with the assistance of the seller for quite some time, but due to a lack of funds from the seller we were not able to refund all buyers. In total over 160 refunds (partial and full refunds were made, in order of earliest purchase date). Unfortunately it is very difficult to recover money from someone who does not have it and is essentially in liquidation. This in our eyes does not constitute fraud or theft but rather poor decision making on the part of the seller. We did try to advise all affected when we stopped the refunds due to lack of funds. Any attempt by a seller to make restitution under such circumstances does not constitute a scam, even though you may disagree with this statement.

I would also tend to disagree with you regarding taking sellers to task, if anything we have become far more strict even verging on being unsympathetic towards sellers in similar situations.

Once again, we do sincerely apologise for this unfortunate situation.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
... the incident broke my trust with purchasing on your site.

Very sorry indeed that you were ripped off by that incident!

Just a note though - I have bought many items on this site - most have been excellent.

Most of the traders I have dealt with - excellent! (The few bad apples - you can usually spot by ratings...)

I do not sell - I am only a buyer and can recommend that you do your homework first. Look at trader's items, look at trader's ratings, look how long they have traded - check out their shipping charges, look at whether they are "verified". Be VERY careful when buying from international traders or dropshippers - again, read their ratings EXTREMELY carefully. Some dropshippers and international traders are EXCELLENT - some are decidedly "shifty".

I have bought some lovely things here - some for the most incredible bargains - and the sellers have honoured the sales - despite losing on the deal in some instances. Be careful - be respectful - and you can buy with relative confidence.

Gold_Man    10
Gold_Man

Hi all including Adrian. I am still waiting for my refund: I paid you R9744- in July of 2010. It's been more than just a little while since your last partial payment in October of 2010. The balance has been R7944- since then. Words & excuses are meaningless - your repaying, at least partially & monthly, would be a good start. When will will you restart repaying this debt? I need action NOW, not anything else.

wishmewell    10
wishmewell

Thanks, and Lilly I did email the address that you provided, and I got an immediate automated response to inform me that my email had been received... heard not a word since then.

@ Ms Plod, I can assure you that Adrian had excellent star ratings and reviews on this site and had been trading for some time so this really wasn't the result from a lack of carefulness on the buyers side. This is why it breaks trust - because if a seller can do this and get away with it, then it really does send a clear message about sellers star ratings that cannot be relied upon. This type of thing would definitely NOT be tolerated on Amazon.com

@ Gold Man, what a shocker that you were ripped off for such an amount, I feel for you man!

@gBall, thank you for the apologies, but I use the term "ripped off' because its impossible to believe that Adrian did not know what was happening. If I was selling things that I had no intention of sending, but all the while demanding buyers immediate payment - then that would certainly constitute a rip off.