Sign in to follow this  
CliffieJacobs

What Can I Do If They Lied About The Item I Won (BID) Tanzanites ?

CliffieJacobs    10
CliffieJacobs

Hi , my question is :

I won 2 Bids , each had Tanzanites for Bidding with each having a Indicative Market Price: of R26 000 .00

As the person who sold it to me Boasts that it is Genuine 100 % NATURAL TANZANITE - AA+ , and that the Est. Retail Value is as above .

If the Tanzanites appear not to be what they are said to be , what are the steps involved ?

I am not saying that they are fake while i wait for them to post to me , i will how ever take it to a gemologist or how ever it is spell who knows his stuff , this question is purely for interest sake if such event is to happen :

Links As Requested By User :

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/68110038/1_80ct_Genuine_NATURAL_TANZANITE_AA_Medium_Purplish_BLUE_IF_Est_R_26550_00.html

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/68110058/1_78ct_Genuine_NATURAL_TANZANITE_AA_Medium_Purplish_BLUE_IF_Est_R_26255_00.html

Thanks .

Edited by CliffieJacobs

kyle2    10
kyle2

If you are unhappy with the item, I would suggest you get a refund, some Tanzanite sellers on BoB are unscrupulous and will use stock photo's to sell their cr@p. Post a link to the item in question, would not surprise me if it was a seller in white river.

CliffieJacobs    10
CliffieJacobs

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

It's my opinion that many sellers randomly use "market prices" or "value price" to enhance their prices. Unfortunately, many buyers fall for this. I've also bought from this seller before, and once I had my stones valued, they were less than the stated "value" price. However, I do not have a problem with the quality of the stones received from this seller. I also purchase from another seller on BoB and receive a valuation certificate with each stone I purchase from him. I myself have all my items valued and I carry the cost of the certificate which is given to my buyers when I post their items. If a seller is willing to put the "value" of their item to paper, you are safe.

Edited by Miss Jewels

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

I for one can vouch that the seller concerned is trustworthy! (and it is not the White River seller either!)

Re the values stated - this is precisely why I do not put a value in my listings unless I have the written proof as provided by the lab (eg GISA) along with the certification. It is nothing for a seller to inflate the true value of the gem in order to drive the price higher by unsuspecting individuals (buyers)!

It can be assumed that this seller either got their valuation from the gemval website in US $ and converted to ZA Rand, or their supplier has given an estimate.

One must keep in mind though (and I stand to be corrected on this one) that if you are not a certified gemologist, you cannot legally put pen to paper and issue any certificate regarding the valuation of a gemstone (in particular). All valuations and estimates must be provided by a certified gemologist based in either a jewellery establishment or gemology laboratory otherwise it is not worth the paper it is written on!

Sellers are also not allowed to provide "guesstimates" on items either! It is not ethical nor is it seen as "valid". There are proper channels to follow to get the information required.

kyle2    10
kyle2

You might be jumping the gun here if you have not even recieved them yet, I have bought gems from this seller before, and was quite happy with what arrived. The gems you won look quite good and it seems you picked up a bargain. This seller takes actual photo's of the gems he sells.

CliffieJacobs    10
CliffieJacobs

Hi thanks for your replies , but anyway i will be taking these gems to a gemologist that is based in a well known jewellery establishment .

If however , my question - it isnt 1.80crt and 1.78crt woudnt that be false advertising/fraud of any matter ?

I have asked the Seller , how they get the Est. Value and they say from their supplier but they cannot show me on paper that the amount is infact real and not simply made up .

What can i do if these are not what they say they are ?

Im not trying to cause a fight , it is simply just for my own knowledge as i have no experience in this field and simply asking assistance and adivice

voldermort    10
voldermort

My word........if you were in doubt, why did you bid?

Why didn't you ask all these questions of the seller BEFORE bidding - or at least find out the answers to your questions from somewhere first?

It is not looked upon as very nice to intentionally or not say come onto the forum and say any seller is lying about any article as no certificate is supplied (see your first post) without first communicating with your seller or at the very least to let them know that you are very dubious about the items you have bought & that you are discussing them on the forum.

kyle2    10
kyle2

Perhaps you should look at it this way, if you are happy with the size shape and colour of the stones you received, why enter into an unhappy excercise with all sorts of legal negativity. Most of the sellers on the web use Gemval to get estimate valuations on their product. This is a website where you enter in the basics of the gemstone, size weight colour, type etc. and it spits out a value based on what you entered.

I am pretty sure that the seller has indeed sold you Tanzanites, so you should not worry about that.

CliffieJacobs    10
CliffieJacobs

@ voldermort - There is truely no need to be so ugly to my post - As i said it is mainly for my own knowledge and a what if question . Noting wrong with asking a question and know what i can do if something is to happen . it is the internet and not everything is always safe . as they say if something sounds too good to be true , it isnt . but as you all say that this is a good seller , then yet i respect that and yes i could see it is a good seller by the items he/she had sold and their raitings .

@ Kyle2 , thanks for your input and advice , im new at this as i said before . i just wanted to extend my knowledge on this stuff .

Thank You All For Your Feedback .

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels
CliffieJacobs    10
CliffieJacobs

Hi MiemsJewels , yes i know right ... peanuts pure bargain . Thus i started asking question which answers i wanted . It sounded too good but i know the Seller is real and not fake , but im sorry that i had to ask questions about certain things , it truely was a bargain .

svw    10
svw

I would say the price that you are paying for the tanzanites is a bargain! - although I do feel the estimated value is slightly higher than I would expect. Best thing to do when you receive the stones have at least two valuations done.

CliffieJacobs    10
CliffieJacobs

Hi Svw , yes i feel the same , the Est. value for each at +- R26 000 each sounds too high , yes i will do so .

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

Seems an awful lot of what ifs! Best to wait for the items and if there are issues once you have them deal with them then.

mrmouse    11
mrmouse

Even if only eventually valued at say R2500. and you paid less its still abargain , if he claims a rated value and it is assessed lower then it is open to interpretation from the relevant assessor , my assessments are different to other inspectors assessments , I have purchased stones on BoB and they are useable but nowhere near the stated value , same as some watches for sale on BoB valued t R45000, but is essentially a blown up recommended retail price found on Ebay .take it at face value and wait and see , if grossly overvalued it is essentially fraud and no committed seller will normally stoop so low .Recommended value could be as much as 300 percent higher than wholesale , lots of retailers mark up huge amounts , its not illegal to do so .

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Just curious. I see a lot of people who bought stones.What exactly do you do with them?:confused:

Do you just keep them as they are, or do you ask a jeweler to design and make you one of a kind jewellery?

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

I would also keep in mind that the seller has an excellent track record - been trading for 4 years, has over 4 500 transcations and a rating of 99.7%.

mrmouse    11
mrmouse

take it and have it set in a pendant ,ring , bracelet etc sometimes its cheaper to just buy a ready made one .

svw    10
svw
Just curious. I see a lot of people who bought stones.What exactly do you do with them?:confused:

Do you just keep them as they are, or do you ask a jeweler to design and make you one of a kind jewellery?

Keep them - then when your Birthday, Anniversary or Christmas comes around give to hubby with a couple of designs that I have had fun doing - leave him to choose which design he likes etc. - still a lovely surprise when you receive your gift all finished and presented to you in a lovely little box!!!!!!!!!

CliffieJacobs    10
CliffieJacobs

Well i thank you all for answering my questions , it is much appriciated , and yes i know the seller has a good track record and i havent read of people stating that it is fake stuff theyre selling ( althou one person did say fake but i think it was out of anger he/she said so) but anyway , i also think it was a bargain - getting them for the price i bid but all gemologist i spoke to say the est. retail value is too high but lets wait and see whats best to come from this .

Thank You All .

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

I'm busy with my own range and use my stones in these settings.

Jongleur    10
Jongleur

Maybe a good thing to have handy when the missus goes ape over whatever wives

go ape over. But be sure they are good quality. Like "Blood Diamonds". Gems that

can take a hammering through all the ups and downs in a marriage.

Just imagine:

Jammer bokkie. Hiers vir jou `n honderd karaat "Black Opal". Sorted.

CliffieJacobs    10
CliffieJacobs

hahahaha , just give her your credit card - also sorted :P

CliffieJacobs    10
CliffieJacobs

The 2nd Tanzanite i won , 1.78ct oval "has" and est. value of R 26'255.00 , according to the seller .

and i found a tanzanite thats also oval , looks the same but is 2.44ct and their GISA certificate valuation is R25 010.00

i feel that its wrong of people to "lie" about somethings actual value just to sell it - as some has mention in this forum .

The link if you wanted it for interest sake : Tanzanites - 2.44ct NATURAL TANZANITE ( GISA CERTIFIED) INTENSE bluish Violet (bV4/4) Est. Retail : R25 010 for sale in Cape Town (ID:68426384)