Sign in to follow this  
captain emo

The great R1 auction scammers

MsPlod

And another of the famous scammers - a neutral rating from a buyer...

"R5 "labour/packing fee"... What you want to tell me is that it cost me R190 to dump 27 of the 30 gems paid for into a R22 envelope.. Disappointing!!"

Little Miss Muffet

I feel nothing. I feel blase.

Good for this one to make a quick buck.Will probably get recognition for it:colbert:

alloway65
I believe it is high time that SA Customs put out a booklet, similar to that of the PO, which anyone can apply for free of charge and be made aware of what customs duties are on particular items. I still believe that the luck of the draw is applicable to customs duties - it all depends on which official is considering your item and whether he/she is in a good or bad mood that day!!

If one knows the SARS Customs Code for the article or articles they are importing, one can go on line and use these Codes to ascertain the actual/official Duty payable! Then one can argue with the relevant Customs Official, when you receive a phone call or an e mail from the Customs Officer handling your shipment re the Duty payable.

Nuvo Italia
I believe it is high time that SA Customs put out a booklet, similar to that of the PO, which anyone can apply for free of charge and be made aware of what customs duties are on particular items. I still believe that the luck of the draw is applicable to customs duties - it all depends on which official is considering your item and whether he/she is in a good or bad mood that day!!

Fat chance of that happening, do not bluff yourself...this is the way it is in South Africa, find a way and move on....no one is going to listen to you.

lilythepink
Fat chance of that happening, do not bluff yourself...this is the way it is in South Africa, find a way and move on....no one is going to listen to you.

I believe in living on the bright side of life!! :grin:

Nuvo Italia
I believe in living on the bright side of life!! :grin:

I second that :grin:!

captain emo

What really grates me is when a seller has a link to their website or sends out a mailer and you can clearly see that the postage prices they use on BoB are different from the postage prices they offer other customers.

One seller indicates on their mailer the postage price for up to 5 particular products. If I compare this to the postage they charge for the same 5 products on BoB, the BoB price is 4 times the price offered on their mailer.

Geez it's bad enough that we have to know that some sellers are ripping the ring with postage, now they rub our noses in it by showing us just how much they are actually ripping it by. I don't care if the items they sell on BoB are crazy auctions and the ones not sold on BoB are regular price, I have said it before; Postage is not there for you to recoup you sales margins because buyers didn't push the price up as much as you would like. If you arent prepared to run the risk of an item selling for only R1 then don't sell using crazy auctions. Theoretically even a car sold on crazy auction (happens occasionally) could go for R1, thats just the risk you take. Is the seller now going to charge R160,000 postage becuase the car went for R1?

I dont know if other buyers feel the same but I think a possible option would be make postage costs the responsibility of the buyer with a set fee for the seller having to go to the post office (if necessary). So lets say for example a buyer buys 3 glowsticks (as a theoretical example) from one seller for R1,R6 and R9 on crazy auctions and chooses regular postage which costs say R30 and the fee set for seller inconvenience is R10. The buyer would then transfer R57 total to the seller rather than R97 (R40 for first item and R20 for each additional item). I can already hear the arguements that sellers would be screwed over and make nothing on their sales but I think we may actually see higher selling prices as I believe the issue is not the high price of postage but the high cost of postage relative to the price of goods bought. So in my example R40 is saved by arranging the postage yourself so the buyer can easily afford to plug another R20 into his bid. The seller would make R37 for the 3 glowsticks rather than the R17 under the old method and BoB would make a bit more commision which would allow them to maintain and improve the website.

JANDS

You read the ad, you buy the stuff, you pay for it. You read the ad, the postage was set while the seller was on drugs, dont buy the stuff dont pay for it. How simple is that? :blink:

captain emo
You read the ad, you buy the stuff, you pay for it. You read the ad, the postage was set while the seller was on drugs, dont buy the stuff dont pay for it. How simple is that? :blink:

I'm afraid that being on drugs would apply to most ads. I can understand an additional postage charge for additional items purchased if the seller actually had to do more work and purchase more postage materials but when you stuff 2 additional items in the same damn parcel and charge me an extra R40 to R60 for it, then I get mad.

Yes, you say then dont buy the goods from that seller. The problem is that sellers see what others sellers are charging for postage and getting away with it and then up their own charges to the same level. I have monitored a few seen sellers bump their postage costs from R30 per item to R45 an item in the space of a few months. Now I understand the post office has increase their costs but not by 50%. You tell me when was the last time you saw a seller charging postage that was based on anything resembling actual postage costs.

JANDS

Seriously....I buy on Bob as well as sell. If a seller's shipping is unreasonable in my opinion, I move on. So I stand by what I said earlier....it is still our choice.

lilythepink
You tell me when was the last time you saw a seller charging postage that was based on anything resembling actual postage costs.

Take a look at my items and also those of Miems Jewels, Miss Jewels, Asha Craft, geewhizz, etc. etc. and you will see that the good sellers DO charge reasonable shipping!! Where items are weighty, those are specially mentioned in the listing - just read the listings properly.

captain emo

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I still stand by my view that customs is a stick to beat buyers with. Saw a buyer listed today who specifically states that all his goods come from England. His postage price R49. So even with customs and postage costs he manages to charge R49.

lilythepink

Well, we have received a wonderful free gift from Ruthie in the Virgin Islands.

It contained items which I am pretty sure are not available in SA, but for some reason unknown to us, customs decided we should pay R31.00 on it!

As far as customs are concerned, all I can say is "Who let the dogs out?"

wayjen

It contained items which I am pretty sure are not available in SA, but for some reason unknown to us, customs decided we should pay R31.00 on it!

Aah yes The Virgin islands, I remember them well. After I left they renamed it to just The Islands.

Is there something at customs or SARS that says you can only receive so many "gifts" per year from a single address abroad before you get charged?

Not1CentMore

Oh, Janet, I am so sorry Customs 'zapped' you. I am not sure why that happened. It wasn't like the 'declared value' was 'mega bucks'. I am 'thinking' I kept it low; $25.00USD and marked as a 'gift' (which it was). You shouldn't have to 'pay' to receive a 'gift'. I will ship a little 'something-something' so you are not 'out' any monies your side.

Ruthie

lilythepink

Don't worry, Ruthie. R31.00 wasn't a mission to pay, I assure you. The point I was trying to make was that customs have their own ideas about gifts and whatever we get from outside SA.

Please, Ruthie - don't worry to send anything else. We are so chuffed with what we have already received, really we are.