Sign in to follow this  
Rare NotesCoins

1961 Full ground 1C

Rare NotesCoins

In my effort to educate the general public of the varities that exist. I had the fortune of having the coin in my possesion and would like to share it withfellow collectors.

Regards Morne

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3448[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3447[/ATTACH]

Jongleur
In my effort to educate the general public of the varities that exist. I had the fortune of having the coin in my possesion and would like to share it withfellow collectors.

Regards Morne

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3448[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3447[/ATTACH]

How is it different to other 1 cent of 1961 ?

JohnBenn

"In my effort to educate the general public of the varities that exist."

Without any explanation,just two pictures.....is not helping Mr. & Ms. General public.

Please elaborate.Thank you

Cold Sea

Read all about it

For me, half the fun in collecting is finding out as much as I can about the item that I am interested in. (The other half is acquiring them if you can). This piece has got an interesting history and it is quite easy to find the info.

Jongleur
For me, half the fun in collecting is finding out as much as I can about the item that I am interested in. (The other half is acquiring them if you can). This piece has got an interesting history and it is quite easy to find the info.

I found the reason. The disselboom is sat, so the oxen were eaten and the trekkers drank

mampoer and smoked dagga in the wagon on this patch of ground.

Not that interesting. Happened all over the Transvaal.

Cold Sea

Nope, that's not it. You will have to buy some more Chappies bubblegum.

JohnBenn

This is raai raai riepa.

mellowred

Ha ... eventually found a photo. The ground goes all the way to the shaft on your one. So is that a "normal" error or something very unique?

Jongleur
Ha ... eventually found a photo. The ground goes all the way to the shaft on your one. So is that a "normal" error or something very unique?

Mellow ! You dared to ask a question on the coin forum ! :cool:

The answer is no. Ask away.

mellowred
Mellow ! You dared to ask a question on the coin forum ! :cool:

Shhhhh!

So the "answer is no" ... does that mean it is not the ground or that it is not a normal error or that it is not unique?

Remember I am ignorant here ... you need to answer in very specific plain English :confused:.

Jongleur
Shhhhh!

So the "answer is no" ... does that mean it is not the ground or that it is not a normal error or that it is not unique?

Remember I am ignorant here ... you need to answer in very specific plain English :confused:.

I dont know the answer either. Perhaps we will never know. Maybe it is one of those

coin secrets. I tried to ask my pet boomslang last night but he was also giggling to

himself at my lack of knowledge.

Voldermort and I are looking for a few veld ponde. The 1 kg of 1850 or so. Graded, of course.

Perhaps you would prefer to join us in our quest ?

4kids

Good Find Morne!

The 1961 Large One Cent shown in the pictures is known as a"Full Ground Cover" and the description refers to the ground under the wagon.

Readers should compare this coin with any other on BoB listings and one can see that the normal 1961 One Cent has a distinct gap between the wagon wheels and the ground design, i.e. grass does not touch the wheels and "disselboom" tongue of the wagon.

This is not an error coin but a known variety. There are a few pieces known and were probably struck as trials with Trial Dies before the design was altered. I suspect that they probably also ended up with the standard circulation pieces as I know of at least one that circulated very well with reasonable wear.

Edited by 4kids

JohnBenn

Thank you 4Kids for making this clear to the General public.

voldermort
Voldermort and I are looking for a few veld ponde. The 1 kg of 1850 or so. Graded, of course.

Perhaps you would prefer to join us in our quest ?

& we are willing to split the profits 3 ways....you find the veld ponde thingies (2kg of 1850 will do fine), Len will do the sangomie chanting & cleaning & I will sell them - fair deal :ninja:

Jongleur
& we are willing to split the profits 3 ways....you find the veld ponde thingies (2kg of 1850 will do fine), Len will do the sangomie chanting & cleaning & I will sell them - fair deal :ninja:

These are the veldie ponde thingies we are looking for :

58f5a7392f887_goldbars.jpeg.8543af8e947b19548091570519dade19.jpeg

A moderate start until we get the hang of it.

voldermort

I think that would be a very unobtrusive entry into our world of selling veld ponde thingies :amuse: load them up & call me when they are ready for listing:awesome:

Jongleur
I think that would be a very unobtrusive entry into our world of selling veld ponde thingies :amuse: load them up & call me when they are ready for listing:awesome:

One small problem. This stash belongs to Aunty Helen. And you know how full of it she can be. She is

going to demand a Top Loader or a Manicure or such - like. Or a photo - shoot with the Stormers. Perhaps

we can ask Wayne to lend a hand with his trolley. We can pay him a loaf of bread and a few slices of

polony.

Edited by Jongleur
whisper

voldermort
One small problem. This stash belongs to Aunty Helen. And you know how full of it she can be. She is

going to demand a Top Loader or a Manicure or such - like. Or a photo - shoot with the Stormers. Perhaps

we can ask Wayne to lend a hand after appeasing her. We can pay him a loaf of bread and a few slices of

polony.

No problem at all - I have already promised Wayne a slice or two or three of cake on Sunday so I am sure he will do this favour for us, perhaps he could keep her otherwise occupied whilst we make off with the stash? :weeabooface:

Cold Sea

The King of Hobbies

The full ground cover 1c reminds me of an interesting bit of history.

The design of the ox-wagon was done by botanical artist Hilda Mason, who was married to Professor Eric Axelson, a researcher of Portuguese maritime history around the coast of Africa and South Africa.

The Portuguese were very secretive about their shipbuilding and maritime achievements, particularly when it came to the Spanish.

Prof Axelson discovered that Christopher Columbus was present when King Joao 2 or John 2 of Portugal gave an audience to Dias. At this meeting it was recorded by Columbus that the Cape of Good Hope was situated in latitude 45 degrees. This information was given by the guileful King Joao to dupe the Spanish and by extension Columbus, making them believe that Dias must have sailed through the roaring forties.

Columbus sailed west, and the rest is history.

And I know this only because I am interested in coin design.

Edited by Cold Sea