Miss Jewels

Agreed. This is absolutely gross~

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

Looks real - ly dead to me.:whistling:

Ruthie

voldermort    10
voldermort

I don't see any reason why it would not be allowed on auction & there actually are quite a number of fur articles listed on BoB, not just this one single item - this is a part of human history (people not too long ago would pay very good money for items such as these) obviously not to everyone's taste but then again neither is smoking - and you cannot stop people from selling antique cigarette cases, the war is not to everyone's taste but you cannot stop people selling war memorabilia, violence is not to everyone's taste but you cannot stop people selling weapons etc etc.

Edited by voldermort

geewhizz    20
geewhizz

I have a couple of vintage furs on Wed crazy this week.

It does not mean to say I support the killing of animals for commercial purposes.

However, these vintage items and old ivory were produced before there was an outcry re these products.

Besides ,who knows, perhaps the animals had died anyway and were not killed for this purpose.

What do you propose we do with these vintage furs? Burn them or throw them away which will serve no purpose whatsoever.

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

We have a few family heirlooms that are real fur stoles and coats, and although it creeps me out, I keep in mind that is it part of our history. There are some lovely items that are handed down from generation to generation... carriage clocks, pocket watches, clothing, paintings, 1892 gold coin (mine!), Imbuia writing bureau (mom's), etc.

Jongleur    10
Jongleur

When the hunter pulled the trigger and the massive Elephant collapsed he measured

the animals life in terms of hard cash. So too was the fate of all animals killed for no

other purpose than adornment or ego.

I cannot help but think of the way these animals died. In a "slagyster" perhaps. A killing

mechanism much reviled as we saw on the forum a couple of days ago.

svw    10
svw
I have a couple of vintage furs on Wed crazy this week.

It does not mean to say I support the killing of animals for commercial purposes.

However, these vintage items and old ivory were produced before there was an outcry re these products.

Besides ,who knows, perhaps the animals had died anyway and were not killed for this purpose.

What do you propose we do with these vintage furs? Burn them or throw them away which will serve no purpose whatsoever.

When it comes to vintage or antique items made from fur - this is a process that took place before society developed a conscience and as long as it is vintage/antique furs being sold there is not much that we can do about it.

As much as I object to animals being killed for their skins etc. in the name of fashion - especially your exotic animals like pythons - crocodiles - seal cubs etc. - in these instances the animals are being killed in inhumane ways and only for their skins or fur. It is not like in the meat industry where the hides and skins are a by-product and many people tend to forget that when they purchase their "meat" in the supermarket they only think of it as meat not as where it actually came from...

dstorm    10
dstorm
When the hunter pulled the trigger and the massive Elephant collapsed he measured the animals life in terms of hard cash. So too was the fate of all animals killed for noother purpose than adornment or ego.I cannot help but think of the way these animals died. In a "slagyster" perhaps. A killingmechanism much reviled as we saw on the forum a couple of days ago.
Could not agree more.And I now see Republikein’s point about “die Slagyster”.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Good grief those things have feet attached.Sorry they won't look good on me....have to pass :whistling:lol

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Humans are gruesome

we oft' kill for fashion

sometimes the killing

is done without passion

we wear all kinds of sorts

of skins without thoughts

of the now dead animals

that once wore 'em.

Some killing is done

with a bow or a gun

Some killing is speedy

some murders are greedy

the old skins some treasure

and wear with such pleasure

belonged to another

from a different skinned mother

The meat from within

that erstwhile dead skin

provides some with food

and for meat eaters tastes good

but there are those among us

whose taste for meat's gone

we share a loathing of killing

no matter when the deed's done

jphotography    10
jphotography

Fair enough fur is fur, but oh my goodness this fur still have feet attached?

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Revolting item "in my opinion"!

jphotography    10
jphotography

I just asked a question to the seller, see the respond ......*faints*.......

miraclebabycaw    10
miraclebabycaw

Who decides that it is vintage? Just because it is listed under antiques does not make it so. I could then in the same breath list a Rhino horn and say it was done before the outcry about Rhinos. Doesn't make it any more correct or right. I "personally" think it's a disgusting item and in very poor taste especially with the feet still attached. Try explaining to your 6 year old why it looks like someone is selling a "dead kitty cat"..

voldermort    10
voldermort

Good grief then in this vein let's ban all items relating to the atrocities committed during the wars, this would include the Boer War which is always a very popular seller here in SA, (some terrible crimes committed then) all items relating to apartheid, (more terrible crimes committed then) unfortunately most of us live in the real world where such things have at one stage or another taken place or should we rather do as The Spanish Conquistadors did & burn all items relating to these heinous acts & pretend we are all & always were perfect? We could burn everything that does not conform with our own historical perspectives & all just sell items promoting an idealised version of the past from whence we came?

miraclebabycaw    10
miraclebabycaw

Selling inanimate items that are truly related to a period in history is totally irrelevant here. If you want to sell you boer war items go for it. We are talking about the trade in once living breathing ANIMALS that is deplorable. Please tell me what is the difference in this and selling a live cat or dog..oh yeah that's right someone hasn't killed the poor thing and said it's now a vintage item because someone decided that at one time or another it was alright to wear the dead creature around your neck. The argument I commented on was that it is supposedly vintage..as I said what makes it vintage? From what you are saying...lets infer that you agree that killing Rhino's etc is also ok...let's just say it's vintage which means we have a right to do it. In many cultures it was alright to wear a human shrunken head, or the scalps of their enemies. Should we allow the selling of that as well? After all it's "vintage" Don't compare apples with pears please.

voldermort    10
voldermort
Selling inanimate items that are truly related to a period in history is totally irrelevant here. If you want to sell you boer war items go for it. We are talking about the trade in once living breathing ANIMALS that is deplorable. Please tell me what is the difference in this and selling a live cat or dog..oh yeah that's right someone hasn't killed the poor thing and said it's now a vintage item because someone decided that at one time or another it was alright to wear the dead creature around your neck. The argument I commented on was that it is supposedly vintage..as I said what makes it vintage? From what you are saying...lets infer that you agree that killing Rhino's etc is also ok...let's just say it's vintage which means we have a right to do it. In many cultures it was alright to wear a human shrunken head, or the scalps of their enemies. Should we allow the selling of that as well? After all it's "vintage" Don't compare apples with pears please.

I think you have a misunderstanding of what "vintage" means. "Vintage" means something that was historically done i.e. is no longer done. You cannot compare selling animals killed now, or even live animals, with selling the furs of animals killed many years ago. You cannot justify killing animals today by saying it is vintage - -that is an illogical, misguided view of what "vintage" means.

In the past people did own shrunken heads of their enemies - and they are still sold today. That does not mean, in any sane person's opinion, that it is OK for me to chop off and shrink the head of someone I don't like and sell it over the internet - the two things are unrelated in the extreme. In the past it was OK to marry minors, have intercourse with relatives. . . yet we still read and purchase the writings of Lord Byron and Edgar Allen Poe.

Further, even though this is NOT at all related to the matter of vintage furs, I think killing animals for fashion is atrocious and ought to be punished much more severely than it is at present. Although that is comparing apples with pears. . .

I suggest you visit Webster's Dictionary webpage and associate yourself with the definition of "vintage".

svw    10
svw

Referring to the item advertised - disgusting! - wearing of furs with the heads and feet attached was a fashion fad that fortunately did not last long!...from what I understand the only way of telling whether a fur is an antique or not is from the designer label sewn on the inside of the lining.

Unfortunately the farming of animals like mink and fox for their fur still takes place and in this modern day and age is totally unacceptable and if not totally convinced then take a look at this attachment - Fur Farms | Mercy For Animals

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

What weird things we human beings are... I couldn't bear to wear fur (especially with feet attached) yet leather shoes are fine. And sheepskin slippers. I know that these animals were and are farmed solely for their fur whereas leather for shoes and sheepskin are seen as a byproduct of sorts. But how different is it really?

I am also on the fence here, can't decide whether these sort of vintage items should be sold or not - giving me a lot of food for thought: on one hand, the animal died for its grisly purpose a while ago, so why would it be a problem to sell now - as long as it's not a new item. But on the other hand, the awfulness of it as a practice (both in the past and in the present) may be seen as it being condoned by creating a market for it.

Sigh.

I think it's more of a personal (and emotional) choice whether or not one agrees with sort of thing or not - there's no hard and fast wrong or right here regards selling a vintage fur, to my mind. Just sadness at the crassness of human beings in general - all of us, in some way or another, pillage the planet to satisfy our whims and fancies.

geewhizz    20
geewhizz

I dont need a label to tell me something is vintage.I just know it is by the look of it.

You cant fool an experianced doll like me[ATTACH=CONFIG]3423[/ATTACH]

imagesCARWYO4G-002.jpg.1f4110eceaa3b664ecc9a01072a5f9b6.jpg

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
I dont need a label to tell me something is vintage.I just know it is by the look of it.

You cant fool an experianced doll like me[ATTACH=CONFIG]3423[/ATTACH]

Experienced, doll, experienced.

geewhizz    20
geewhizz

Jongkleur stop raising those eyebrows at me.

Your mind is full of cobwebs.

So is mine but it is in the attic.

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
Jongkleur stop raising those eyebrows at me.

Your mind is full of cobwebs.

So is mine but it is in the attic.

Jongleur, doll, Jongleur.