Sign in to follow this  
kennyn

FORUM FOCUS

kennyn

Hi All

There has been much written about ethics and descriptions etc over the last two months.I agree with both sides of the argument namely that the seller is welcome to put any item up for sale (as long as the description is fair and accurate)and if someone is prepared to pay the price then the axiom,Happy Seller,Happy Buyer must apply.

As a result I have decided to open the Forum Focus,the idea of which is to put together informative articles.I believe Colin is busy as we talk.Furthermore it is to alert potential buyers to certain items offered for sale where the descriptions may not be exactly correct.After discussing the item via the forum,the seller can make up his own mind and anyone can reply.

I myself while not for one minute pretending to know everything(in fact in most areas of philately I class myself as a novice),will only comment on items where I am certain there is a problem.If I am proved wrong in any case I will donate R250 to the Exhibition to be held later this year in each case.

So lets kick off with an interesting scenario on the listings for this weeks bid or buy Crazy Wednesday.There are two lots of GB Seahorses listed,from the 2/6d to the 10/- which at first glance of the images and the description would appear to be identical.

You can check out the images at Crazy Wednesday.

The first lot from Savo 2007 states simply "VFU,PERFECT CENTRE CANCELLATIONS,CV R20,000 PLUS"

I assume that the perfect centre does not refer to the centering of the stamp,which is extremely difficult to find but to the position of the cancel. The 2/6d and 5/- have EXCEPTIONAL cancellations,two of the best I have seen,but the 10/- is a parcel cancel.All three stamps have typical off centre settings for the issue.

As to the catalogue value of R20000 plus,this would appear to be a little generous.All three are from the same printer, almost certainly Bradbury Wilkinson printings(all three frame sizes identical)and the colour of the 10/- dull grey blue which is unlike any of the De La Rue or Waterlow blues .The 2/6d is in the pale brown shade.Catalogue taking into account the fine condition of the 2/6d and 5/- is closer to 350-400 pounds

The dates 1926 and 1934 further substantiate this thought.

The second lot from Atacentre is described as a superb set," not the usual quality normally offered with poor or parcel cancellations"-- superb condition and superb cancellations.Cat value 12600 plus 35% for well centered and lightly used.Cat as Waterlow,if De La Rue cat much higher.

Quite a lot to deal with.Firstly all three stamps have parcel cancellations,but the centering is above average,particularly good in the 10/-.

The 10/- would appear to have a blunt perf in the top row,may be the scan perhaps seller can clarify? and the 5/- would appear to be extremely grubby around the top/middle left hand side.

These are stated to be 1913 printings.Without being able to examine in detail,the 2/6d and 5/- would appear to be Bradbury Wilkinson(1918),again check late usage and typical chocolate brown shade.The 10/- is probably De La Rue.

Catalogue value again would appear to be overstated,difficult to ascertain due to the doubt over the perf on the 10/-,but 35% can not be added on for fine used.

Please see Gibbons illustrations at the front of their catalogue determining what is very fine regarding cancellations.

Incidentally the re-engraved issue is far scarcer than the Bradbury Wilkinson issue of 1918,due to the lifespan 1918-1934 compared to 1934 to about 1939/40.The only strange issue is Gibbons pricing the 5/- at higher than the 10/-.

At the end of the day the seller will determine the price.Oh in case you wondered I will be bidding on one of the lots,so these utterances are in no way intended to throw people off bidding.

Regards

Kenny

KWALITY STAMPS

thank you for the explenation

thank you for the explenation.

Hi Kenny, thank you for the explenation. i will rectify the catalogue value, now that i know which printings they are, (a very difficult area to understand).

i agree, more discussion and debate on stamps should be had, too many chancers selling stamps with supposed high cv, but then the condition is horrible. I had one of my regular buyers telling me how he had won three items from a seller, (3 x blocks of 4 varieties) and when he recieved the goods, the back's were covered with rust, he threw them in the bin and now will never buy from this seller again. sad when you hear something like this.

anyway, must go back to work. once again, thanks for the info.

savo

kennyn

Hi Savo

Thanks for your understanding and encouraging reply.The only way we can help collectors is by education via the Forum.In no ways do we want to discourage sellers,but rather to avoid buyers frustration when they one day become sellers and find all was not what they thought it was.

Kind Regards

Kenny

kennyn

Hello All

Right,time for the next query which I would like to throw open to the forum members before instituting any action(if required) against the seller.

The description of a recent item sold on Bid or Buy was as follows

" 5 single unissued motlantle stamps"

Having seen this description what would you expect to receive as the winning bidder?

Regards

Kenny

dstorm

Hello Kenny

Being South African AFRIKAANS Speaking, I might misunderstand, but I would say "5 single unissued motlantle stamps"?

Jacques

gabriel 1

Mothlanthe stamps, still to be issued, x 5 in single form?

Regards

Gabriel1

seahorsefanatic

Hi Kenny

As I understand it from your end, you are not sure whether you are bidding on one or five stamps :?: Other than the fact that this stamp has been hyped up more than a forthcoming game on TV, the grammer is misleading.

Not wanting to lay claim to any proficiency in the British language " as it is spoke " :oops: may I say this - may the motlantle stamp go away - as soon as possible :roll:

gabriel 1

Stamps depicting Mothlanthe, may or may not be issued but as yet not, one more than four and one less than six, all on their own, possibly individually packaged?

I think I should take up drinking again, am I missing the point?

Regards

Gabriel1

kennyn

Hi All

The point is the buyer received 1 stamp whilst expecting 5.Surely this is the type of misleading descriptions we are trying to eliminate?

Regards

Kenny

gabriel 1

Hi Kenny

I agree, if the SNC facility was available to buyers, this would be the route to follow. There is a facility where suspicious activity can be reported, perhaps this would help?.

Regards

Gabriel1

kennyn

Hi All

Whilst browsing the site,the following needs to be brought to the attention of unsuspecting buyers.I have given the vendor the opportunity to change the description and furthermore to respond via the FORUM FOCUS to any future items that are misdescribed.

If the item is not withdrawn or the description changed thje seller will be reported

selling a Natal 1 pound 10/- without mentioning the fact that it is fiscally used.

The stated catalogue value of " R30,000 plus" is highly misleading as this stamp is worth considerably less as a fiscal as listed by Barefoot.

Remember if it seems too good to be true it probably is.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/12040566/Natal_1904_08_1POUND10_Give_Away_Price_CV_SG_over_R30_000_00.html

Regards

Kenny

qball

Hi All

By all means highlight issues, educate, but calling people "miscreants" is not acceptable. This topic will be locked if it becomes personal. The above post will be edited.

Cuan

kennyn

Hi Cuan and all

Sorry for getting carried away in my over zealous quest to protect the buying public.

The seller would appear to have withdrawn the item.

Kind Regards

Kenny

gabriel 1

Hi Kenny

I checked the item out and asked the following question,

"I have read on the forum that the stamp you are selling is fiscally used thus reducing it's value, is this true?".

I did not get a response but the item was deleted.

Regards

Gabriel1

kennyn

Hi Gabriel 1

Presumably the seller agreed that the stamp was fiscally used and therefore worth a fraction of the stated catalogue value

Kind Regards

Kenny