Sign in to follow this  
mwgielink

Motlanthe

2dblue

Hi Guys

I was at the Edenvale Society last night (4 March) and many members have purchased and used these stamps already and are still been sold

It seems that quite a few post offices are selling these (obviously they have not read the internal memo - or cant read)

These items are not going to be scarce and DO NOT pay more then face value at present.

Rgds

Colin

alloway65

Discussing PM Stamps on 702!

Kit W

Hi David

Missed the 702 broadcast. What was the general consensus of opinion regarding this matter? Your input on this will be valued.

Thanks

Kit W

alloway65

Hi Kit,

Re the PR guy from the PB, to my understanding the PM stamps will be issued next week! As usual any statement from a Government Derpartment, nothing is 100% clear.

David.

kennyn

Hi All

To all those who advised against buying PM stamps especially Alloway,D Storm,Gabriel 1, and Seahorse, your philatelic wisdom and knowhow has obviously been wasted when you check out all the clever "investors" who are all going crazy again on the Crazy Wed Auction(Obviously well named).

Some of us thought mistakingly that we could help the less experienced collector through some of the minefields that one encounters on live auctions.

This was obviously a forlorn hope.To those who want to learn and seek advice,we will always be there.For the other clever people who wish to be exploited by unscrupulous "dealers",sorry that is an insult to a true stamp dealer,rather let me say unscrupulous fly by nights.

No true dealer would ever sell such items to his valued clients,because he is the only loser.If the price goes up,he misses out on a rarity,if it falls will he refund the buyer the difference?.If not doubtless he will lose the client.

I would also like to hear the little gun tottin' sherriffs view(or admin administrator to give him his Sunday title) on the fact that for the last 6 weeks the stamp section of Crazy Wed Auctions has been dominated by STAMPS THAT WERE NOT OFFICIALLY ISSUED,or to put it in plain terms,stamps that could only have been obtained CONTRARY TO THE RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE POST OFFICE.

May I also enquire via the administrator(as I see he is monitoring the stamp section of the forum diligently),can I list the following items on Bid or Buy ,or is there a ban on such,as I would not like to do so and upset the apple cart.

Namely

Nazi Memorabilia

Stamps depicting Hitler

Stamps depicting Stalin

Stamps depicting Winston Churchill

Third Reich banknotes and coins

Kind Regards

Kenny

P.S. Ok go on ask why Winston Churchill.

admin

I would also like to hear the little gun tottin' sherriffs view(or admin administrator to give him his Sunday title) on the fact that for the last 6 weeks the stamp section of Crazy Wed Auctions has been dominated by STAMPS THAT WERE NOT OFFICIALLY ISSUED,or to put it in plain terms,stamps that could only have been obtained CONTRARY TO THE RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE POST OFFICE.

May I also enquire via the administrator(as I see he is monitoring the stamp section of the forum diligently),can I list the following items on bidorbuy ,or is there a ban on such,as I would not like to do so and upset the apple cart.

Namely

Nazi Memorabilia

Stamps depicting Hitler

Stamps depicting Stalin

Stamps depicting Winston Churchill

Third Reich banknotes and coins

Hi Kenny,

I have nothing to do with the running of the bob auction site. My "job" as admin of the forum is without payment and done in my spare time. I do not only monitor the stamp section of the forum diligently, but all forums as i have to see if the forum rules are followed, so i get to read every post that is made. Lucky me...

As for the items you want to list, read the listing policy here : http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/static/help/ListingPolicy.html

If you see any listing that is illegal, use the "spot a problem" link in the auction to notify community watch, or alternatively you can send an email to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za with a link to the auction included.

kennyn

Thank you for your prompt reply

You are a better man than I ,to do your thankless job for nothing!

Good luck

Regards

Kenny

admin

No problem :wink:

Cheers

Jacques Kuun

Hello Kenny (and admin!)

Maybe we should buy admin a Mothlanthe stamp (I am sure he will understand that we can’t afford a complete sheet at the moment – will have to wait till the dust settles and till the price drops). It should be a lovely souvenir / token of appreciation for the job he is doing.

Very seriously, thanks for doing the thankless job, admin!

We all need fences.

Regards

Jacques

admin

Just one question.... who is this Mothlanthe oke you are all talking about, some movie star ? :twisted:

Jacques Kuun

Hello admin

See, there you have it. Collect stamps and your general knowledge will be superior to that of the more exciting mortals.

This President Motlanthle is not the president of Disney Studios. He is the president of the RSA.

Regards

Jacques

kennyn

Hi Jacques

I presume it was highly coincidental that you managed to combine the President of RSA and that of Disneyworld in the same sentance?

The reason I asked whether you could advertise Hitler,Stalin or Churchill stamps on the site is that I am always fascinated by the way history has treated certain people.

Whilst it is fairly obvious why a site should not wish "to promote" the sale of Nazi memorabilia,how far should ones conscience reach when assessing other areas.

For example ,Stalins record of exemplary human rights is well documented.His persecution of the Russian people in general and minorities such as jews,upper classes,educated persons,Ukranians,Moldovians,Slavs,Czechs,Bulgars,Turks,etc.etc,at times makes Hitlers pogroms look like a Sunday school picnic.Yet his face adorns numerous stamps,which apparantly no one takes offence against.

Then there is good old Winnie Churchill,the same man who needlessly ordered the bombing of Dresden with the sole purpose of destroying civilian life.At least 100,000 died in this pointless exercise.Did it break the German peoples resolve?Of course not.They probably intensified their efforts to ensure that the Fatherland survived,fearful of what would be the consequences of surrender to a nation prepared to indiscriminently bomb woman and children.Oh but good old Winnie didnt just bomb Germans.He allowed the bombing of Coventry and Glasgow after the German code was broken and in order for the Germans to remain blissfully unaware of the attack,did not evacuate the population.He did nux,nada and allowed his own people to die.And then the fat brandy swilling twonk wonders why " a gratefull nation" voted him out of office after the war.Was this not a crime against humanity

And you can go on,numerous tyrants who committed atrocities and crimes against humanity have not been given the same treatment as Nazi Germany.But then again history is only an interpretation of the events written by the winners.

My view for what it is worth,is that The Third Reich and all its baggage was a part of history.If people wish to collect such items(for whatever reasons)then let them.It should be up to the individual himself to decide the rights,wrongs or morals.

And of course the great danger is that if we hide this stuff away,it becomes mysterious and by inference desirous.If we are not taught the lessons of the past then who can blame us for making the same mistakes in the future.

Kind Regards

Kenny

qball

Hi All

This topic is going off topic, please stick to the topic - Mothlanthe stamps.

Thank you

Cuan

kennyn

Hi Cuan

The relationship between listing of certain stamps was in my opinion relevant.I was merely enquiring re the stance taken by bid or buy in regards to listing certain material ie unissued stamps which had to be bought against the rules and regulations of the Post Office versus items which may cause offence to certain people.

I am now clear in my mind regarding the stance taken and whilst I may not agree with it I respect the right of the site to determine what may be sold.

Kind Regards

Kenny

superswede

Motlanthe Stamp Tornado !!!

Well we are all hearing different stories.

Here is my input on the subject i have spoken to the Gentleman who is the head of the Postal section in charge of the people who manage philately in PTA and the stamp is not to be released under any circumstance.He also added that the stamp was for sale for a very short period on day of release and purchases did take place under the sale code.This makes the stamp officialy withdrawn.Infact i was told exactly how many were sold. I have also seen a purchase receipt .

All this means only one thing to me , the stamp was withdrawn as it was offered for sale and sold.

People have been saying its being released for over a month on this site and have been saying next week , next week !

The facts are its still not released !!!

But then all is not set in stone who knows !

Anyway guys lets all just enjoy the site which ever way this goes , have a great weekend.

Jacques Kuun

Hello Superswede

Thank you very much for your input.

This is the first time that we have had any information regarding the other side of the story.

I have to agree with you, anything can happen.

If not released, this issue will give a lot of people a handsome return on their initial investment at the post office. If not released, the stamp will be the first basic RSA stamp in more than twenty years time to “perform†investment wise.

I do however feel that it is disingenuous to compare it to the Bible stamp, as a lot of sellers do.

Thanks and regards

Jacques

gabriel 1

Hi all

I actually prefered Kenny's discussion and Kenny, I agree with everything you said. I used to frequent pawn shops in search of old documents, Boer War etc. One day a woman took me into a dindgy dark room and gave me a box of "Right wing" material. She was so happy to get rid of it, she did not want any money and thanked me for taking it off her hands. I went through the box all afternoon and was enthrawled with parts of our history which people steer away from. The box was full of AWB documents of meetings, campaign documents, letters from various right wing leaders, tapes of speeches, books written and signed by the authors, Barend Strydom, "Die Wit Wolf" and so on. Although this is not my interest it was still very interesting stuff, I found it a good home in Pretoria.

Not to go off the subject I agree with Jacques that the Mohthlante (I think I spell this differently every time) stamp cannot possibly stand the test of time and be compared with other withdrawn stamps such as the Bible stamp. I personally do not see what historical relevance "M" will have down the road, sure people are making money now but how desirable will the stamp be in years to come. Although Superswede has the official numbers of stamps sold legally, how many were sold and are still being sold illegally?, it seems that every Tom, **** and Harry has a full sheet or two. So, the stamp is not scarce and is not of any real importance, you decide if you want one or not.

Regards

Gabriel1

kennyn

Hi All

Gabriel 1 , I will continue the discussion under a new topic.But in the meantime rumour has it ,from good authority and witnessed by reliable sources(D Storm) that the Mothlanthle issue has been taken to the highest level by SAPDA (South African Stamp Dealers Assoc)and an imminent statement is to be expected........Watch this space ,results expected after Tuesday nights SAPDA AGM........ will let you know.....This is almost as exciting as waiting to find out who shot J.R.

Kind Regards and no apologies for keeping you in suspense

Kenny

blacktail12

Kgalema Motlanthe STAMP ISSUE

Will be available on Thursday 19 March at Post offices at normal rate

kennyn

Hi All

Blacktail is 100% correct.

Regards

Kenny

Jacques Kuun

Hello all

Motlanthe is now available at R20-50 per 10 stamps!

The "New Bible Stamp" is no more.

Regards

Jacques

Johnny_AA

Molanthe Stamps

Hi dstorm

Now the fun begins, I see several full sheets on offer today on BoB. One's mind only boggles to think what headline catching title will be used to sell them at R800 as sheet (the highest ive seen then go for). Incidently thats a increase or should that ne loss of 3902%. WHAT AN INVESTMENT!!!

Will make for interesting reading in the days to come.

Regards

John Anderson

Jacques Kuun

Hello John

The highest went for about R2 000-00!

Regards

Jacques

korrie

Hi All

Do I presume to much assuming that all the sellers who sold these stamps will all run to their cheque books to refund all the differences between amount paid including postage and insurances taken out?

Regards to all

Korrie

gabriel 1

Hi

Rare/scarce/investment must/next bible stamp/withdrawn/never to be released - well, the official release date of this gem is 19/03/2009.

I have a good mind to offer the full sheets that I purchaced at 3 different post offices today for R50 per sheet including free registered postage.

I think there is a lesson to be learnt here for all concerned. Not one of the reputable dealers that I know offered the stamp on Bid or Buy even though they had it and could have made some quick cash, makes you think.

Regards

Gabriel1