Sign in to follow this  
jphotography

Namibian truck driver scam

jphotography

2 weeks ago we advertised our one vehicle for sale and on Tuesday this guy Elvis phoned my husband, well spoken Afrikaans guy, telling my husband that he is interested in the car.

Because he is a truck driver from Namibia he is driving for De Beers diamonds and he cannot take the car now but he wants to meet my husband in Rustenburg to check the cars papers to ensure that we are legit, he will then go with my husband to the bank, deposit the money and then they will both go to the police station to do an affidavit to confirm that he have paid for the car.

He does not want to see the car we must leave the car at home as he does not want us to drive with it after he have paid for it. A

ll sounded good and hubby arranged to meet him on Wednesday morning in Rustenburg. HUbby asked him where they will meet and he told my hubby that when he is 10km away from Rustenburg hubby must phone him and he will give him directions.

Now here comes that female 6th sense from myself in and I could not sleep, something kept on warning me that someone is not right. So at 5am on Wednesday morning I just took the cell number from Elvis and googled it.

And guess what, my friend google came up with horrible scamming stories about this Elvis dude, from how he gunpointed a man in Randfontein and hijacking. I almost fainted and hubby was so angry about this, so at 7am we went to Rustenburg straight to the police department. When we got there they sended us to crime prevention unit, spoke to the captain and he said that the police cannot arrest this man if there is no case against him and also he did nothing wrong. They can only arrest him after he committed a crime. So the captain phoned Elvis asking him to meet us at their offices and as you can guess Elvis never showed.

I have tried to get case numbers from the previous stories but I cannot get hold of the people. So people please be aware of this scammer.

The captain also told us that theses guys will meet up with you asking you to help them sell diamonds and will drop diamonds in you car ( being only stones) then his buddies will (arrest) you and in then demand money from your families. Sometime they will just hijack you in whatever car you went to meet them, or they will gunpoint you and rob you.

I am just so lucky that we came out unhurt out of this ordeal. I cannot even imagine what could have happened

wayjen

Oh, so he shows up on google and he is involved in hijacking and pistol whipping people BUT he there is no case against him and has done nothing wrong and the Captain still phones him to ask to come to the office, yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!

Banana Republic mentality.

jphotography
Oh, so he shows up on google and he is involved in hijacking and pistol whipping people BUT he there is no case against him and has done nothing wrong and the Captain still phones him to ask to come to the office, yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!

Banana Republic mentality.

Yeah just like that, really they could have send a cop in my husbands place, we had a meeting with this guy set up already. All could have worked out and they could have catched him. But according to the police they cannot just arrest him without him doing something wrong or without me having a case number. On this blog they even give a description of what he looks like, and still nothing

wayjen

Useless bunch of idiots.

MsPlod

Very pleased your 6th sense kicked in!! Phew - would have hated you guys to end up yet another statistic in the crime reports.

Hope someone nails these guys and fast! Very nasty.

svw
Yeah just like that, really they could have send a cop in my husbands place, we had a meeting with this guy set up already. All could have worked out and they could have catched him. But according to the police they cannot just arrest him without him doing something wrong or without me having a case number. On this blog they even give a description of what he looks like, and still nothing

You were very lucky!...My brother and his wife were travelling down to their holiday house from Durban to the Eastern Cape about 10 months back - here is the link to the newspaper article - Hijack No 6 for Hillcrest family - KwaZulu-Natal | IOL News | IOL.co.za

wayjen

If that's the attitude of the police then you can rest assured he will never be caught.

republikein

These terrorists (or at least the ringleaders) are either police or ex-police. So the possibility of them being caught is slim. The law-abiding "white pigs" support their luxurious lifestyles. Too lazy to work, easier to loot and rob! Crime does pay for them! They are lower than filth! Hang them high!

mellowred

We had a similar incident, selling out old Cabal. Also did not want to see the vehicle. Sounded non-kosher but we needed to go to Somerset-West so decided "what the hell". Guys ended up in the car trying to get us to take them to diamond dealer friends to fetch cash for Cabal. We just acted very dumb and in a hurry and got them out the car. Only when we got home did Hennie tell me he had taken his gun with him. If I'd known he was that suspicious, I'd rather not have gone!

Glad your husband did not end up going to meet them. Just proves again ... that gut instinct is always right.

Very shocked at the police reaction to this. They could have nabbed him. Truly disgraceful.

mellowred

Ai SVW that is a shocking story. Something that only happens to "other people". So glad they survived, but so sorry for the trauma. Do you ever recover from something like that?

Seeds for Africa

Rule # 1 when selling a vehicle - if someone wants to pay or meet you without seeing it, 99.99999% chance its not kosher!

MsPlod
These terrorists (or at least the ringleaders) are either police or ex-police. So the possibility of them being caught is slim. The law-abiding "white pigs" support their luxurious lifestyles. Too lazy to work, easier to loot and rob! Crime does pay for them! They are lower than filth! Hang them high!

Hijacking is a cross cultural crime - affecting anyone with enough money to drive a vehicle - even those who drive vehicles for their work. Crime is cross-cultural and also crosses socio-economic lines. To throw racial terms at this simply does not achieve a thing other than blurring the real issues.

Yes, I do agree that there is significant police corruption and that those who should know better often do not!

mellowred

The "white pigs" insult used during the hijacking sadly indicates how issues are still looked at along racial lines. Using that comment to prove the perception that these are just black on white crimes just adds to the snowball effect.

My worry is for the sub-economic youth who have nothing. Sincerely nothing - not even a warm room to sleep in - just some dripping icey roof over their heads, and not much more to look forward to in the future. (Please don't read sub-economic as "black" - I'm including the large % of all races.)

They are such easy targets for the naturally vicious, sub-human predators out there.

Reading the news report, one of the hi-jackers was trying to assure the couple that if they co-operate they will not be killed. How did that guy end up hi-jacking two innocent people; standing by watching them being tortured? Did he go home and worry and feel guilty about what he did? How long will it take for him to start believing that torturing for financial gain is "acceptable"?

How many of us on this forum actually get up off our bums and do something POSITIVE to alleviate the horror that some people wake to every day of their lives?

republikein
To throw racial terms at this simply does not achieve a thing other than blurring the real issues.

I was quoting the direct words used by the highjackers and as reported in the newspaper article. One of the real issues, is the big amount of racial hatred and racial violence as can be seen daily. Why not steal the bread you want, if hungry? Why also rape, torture and kill. Then it is no more crime but genocide and hate!

Edited by republikein

Mad about Jack

This guy has been working this mo for the last three years or so, have spoken to him twice over the weekend and once in the week, he is so busy he doesn't remember speaking to you three times. He is very good and well spoken. Be aware.

MsPlod
I was quoting the direct words used by the highjackers and as reported in the newspaper article.

Please accept my apologies... Did not spot that in the article! "My bad".

jphotography
Rule # 1 when selling a vehicle - if someone wants to pay or meet you without seeing it, 99.99999% chance its not kosher!

Very true. Problem here was that this guy also talked waaaay too much, my hubby will believe anyone and again me I don't trust anyone LOL

Mad about Jack

Won't believe it but I just got a call from him again (4th time), using a different number, googled that number and he is also advertising cars for way to cheap.

jphotography
Won't believe it but I just got a call from him again (4th time), using a different number, googled that number and he is also advertising cars for way to cheap.

These guys are arrogant!! Read on another forum that he was in Cpt holding a woman up with a knife and robbed her from her belongings. Same description of well spoken Afrikaans guy in his mid 30s with scar in the face and gold in the teeth.

Ai!

Mad about Jack

Hi there, guess who just called me ? My favourite BS Bertie, this is the 5th time in less than 3 weeks..... SO this time he asked where I am, (keep in mind last time I said I am in Alberton and he was in Rustenburg) he is now in Vereeniging. Phone call only lasts 50 seconds, always want be called back. Cannot buy airtime so how will buy a car ????

jphotography

ROFLMAO you know I laugh but it actually makes me angry that no one can do him anything. One should get a criminal and then let them rob this guy!!

RISadler
[...] he said that the police cannot arrest this man if there is no case against him and also he did nothing wrong. They can only arrest him after he committed a crime.

It's called false arrest ... unless they know 100% beforehand that "Elvis" is the same person who committed those others crimes. And then they still need permission (a warrant) to arrest him. Even if "Elvis" was indeed the same person and the police arrested him, the arrest would be voided by the fact that the police "took a chance" based on a Google search. This would make him being held in custody unconstitutional and probably, even if he was prosecuted and convicted, result in the police paying damages to him.

What we need back is the old "internal security" laws ... many a criminal was arrested with total disregard for criminal procedure by simply invoking the suspicion of him/her being a terrorist.

jphotography
It's called false arrest ... unless they know 100% beforehand that "Elvis" is the same person who committed those others crimes. And then they still need permission (a warrant) to arrest him. Even if "Elvis" was indeed the same person and the police arrested him, the arrest would be voided by the fact that the police "took a chance" based on a Google search. This would make him being held in custody unconstitutional and probably, even if he was prosecuted and convicted, result in the police paying damages to him.

What we need back is the old "internal security" laws ... many a criminal was arrested with total disregard for criminal procedure by simply invoking the suspicion of him/her being a terrorist.

No wonder people in the township just take the law into their own hands, I really don't blame them

RISadler
No wonder people in the township just take the law into their own hands ...

That's called "community policing" ...

Mad about Jack

Got called again yesterday morning and a few minutes ago. Same guy, same bs story.