Sign in to follow this  
Reynet Trading

New Law "for sellers"

Reynet Trading

Just got an email from my book keeper.

I have a registered company and selling on BoB is just part time, but it looks like this part time business needs to be registered?

Dear Client,

In 2000 the government of the Republic of South Africa passed a very important law, the Promotion of

Access to Information Act. This act was aimed to improve transparency in business and in government. It

affects the way we do business.

Who needs to register?

In terms of the Act everyone who trades in any way needs to register. If you are running a small business

from home or a retail shop. Whether you're running a service business from your car or running your business

from a laptop out of a coffee shop - you need to register.

Whether you are running as a Sole Proprietor (in your own name) or as a Close Corporation or PTY (LTD)

you need to register with the SA Human Rights Commission.

What if I don't Register?

In terms of the Act, people who fail to register can be fined up to R15 000 or imprisoned by up to two

years.

What is the purpose of this Registration?

Section 32 of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, No. 108 of 1996 (“the Constitution”)

provides:

(1) Everyone has the right of access to –

(a) any information held by the state; and

(b) any information that is held by another person and that is required for the exercise or protection of any

rights.

(2) National legislation must be enacted to give effect to this right, and may provide for reasonable

measures to alleviate the administrative and financial burden on the state.

The Act gives effect to this constitutional right of access as required in terms of sub-section (2).

With the exception of sections 10, 14, 16 and 51, the Act came into operation on 9 March 2001.

Government Gazette number 23119 brought the remaining sections into operation on 15 February 2002.

And it goes on and on....

What do you think?

alloway65

Just do it, it is quite easy, I have registered my two Companies.

We get more and more Laws and Regulations in this Country and very few (un) Civil Servants capable of enforcing the new Laws etc!!!!!:whistling:

mellowred

It is very basic ... just a long winded document which you can copy and paste off the net. If you want the wording PM me and I'll mail it to you. All that it achieved was to make some very easy money for accountants. They were charging on average R750 per submission and getting away with it because it looks complicated.

More important is the CIPC annual return for registered companies. This must be done on your company anniversary date. Once again very simple, all you do is type in your annual turnover. But they charge you R100 for this and if you are late they fine you R150.

wayjen

Does this apply to the newspaper salesman at the robot or that guy selling flags and sports shirts or metal artwork or...or...or...

alloway65
Does this apply to the newspaper salesman at the robot or that guy selling flags and sports shirts or metal artwork or...or...or...

Yes but they are allowed to use smoke signals....these are then retained in the "CLOUD"!:weird:

mellowred

It's a total waste. You don't pay to submit it, so some government official is sitting (at the taxpayers expense! :sad:) compiling all this useless information.

And then there are the business owners who paid their accountants a fortune to do this.

All that money could have been spent on creating jobs!

svw

What a waste of time...........what if one keeps quiet and says nothing........then what?

mellowred

As with many laws ... sweet nothing I'm sure. :colbert: