Sign in to follow this  
MsPlod

Slagyster

MsPlod
Been sold before. So have Rhino`s ears, Elephants feet and Ivory.

It wasn't a question, the "Are gin traps able to be sold here?" part, takes you to a lengthy thread on the topic which ended with BoB declaring that it is not acceptable.

Rhino's ears? Elephant's feet? Ivory? Gawd we humans are a sorry lot aren't we?

Imagine if elephants displayed human teeth, rhinos displayed human ears and ate human noses, and dogs bet on fights to the death...

58f5a737d8c67_dogfighttheproperway.jpg.2b5db001d48c5f0e9f3e5c2db4382a37.jpg

mellowred

I was thinking the other day about what to call people like this. Would ticks or fleas be appropriate? I can't think of any positive effect a parasite has on the ecology. Do they?

MsPlod
I was thinking the other day about what to call people like this. Would ticks or fleas be appropriate? I can't think of any positive effect a parasite has on the ecology. Do they?

Other than a modicum of population control and food for those animals which eat them, not really. I usually even catch flies and put them outside, but ticks, fleas and mozzies get squashed!

folks who derive pleasure from animal pain and suffering are lower than life imo

booksallsizes

Oooh man - those things give me the horrors. C'mon Admin - do your thing!

admin

Gone. :ninja:

MsPlod

Thank you!!!!

republikein

I could not access the slagyster listing, as it was already deleted, BUT... I really do not understand the fuss about selling an old slagyster, as they are sold in 2nd hand shops and antique shops as a relic from the past. Why then not on BOB too? As long as it is not advertised as a method of killing animals. Mind you, I am also totally against the use of slagysters, but have one hanging at my braai place in town, together with some other relics from the past. It is also a tool to educate children about old wrongful methods of catching and killing "problem animals." Anyone want to make me an offer on my old (presumably) jackal/rooikat slagyster? Can be a nice addition to your lapa!

MsPlod
I could not access the slagyster listing, as it was already deleted, BUT... I really do not understand the fuss about selling an old slagyster, as they are sold in 2nd hand shops and antique shops as a relic from the past. Why then not on BOB too? As long as it is not advertised as a method of killing animals. Mind you, I am also totally against the use of slagysters, but have one hanging at my braai place in town, together with some other relics from the past. It is also a tool to educate children about old wrongful methods of catching and killing "problem animals." Anyone want to make me an offer on my old (presumably) jackal/rooikat slagyster? Can be a nice addition to your lapa!

Please read this for the previous discussion - the issues were raised and BoB made a decision.

http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/community-chat-forum/14994-gin-traps-able-sold-here.html

republikein

Then the sale of guns, vehicles, aeroplanes, alcohol, knifes, etc must also be declared illegal on BOB. Please stay objective and do not let emotions fog the view...

dstorm

Hello Republikein

I am right there with you when it comes to Double Standards.

Regarding the sale of Guns:

While I have never hunted (except for hunting for human beings while I was in the old SADF) and never fish, I do believe that “die slagyster” is an extremely cruel way of “hunting” or rather a very cruel way of killing animals. To me it is tantamount to torture.

There is no such thing as a "problem animal".

Keep well and regards

Jacques

MsPlod
Then the sale of guns, vehicles, aeroplanes, alcohol, knifes, etc must also be declared illegal on BOB. Please stay objective and do not let emotions fog the view...

My fogged - but wholly objective - view is that gin traps (and similar items) are indiscriminate - left to catch whatever animal steps into it. The animal is then left in there for X amount of time, in excruciating pain.

I would cheerfully wish that any person who actually has ever set, or who uses, a slagyster (or similar trap) - steps in it themself and stays in it for at least 24 hours, without water or assistance. Sort of a kharmic retribution really.

This thread (and the previous one) are not about double standards on BoB - it is about slagysters. Should you wish to have a debate about your perception of double standards please feel free to do so - the forum is free and ripe for such a discussion. But maybe you could start a new thread - so that folks don't get confused.

If you have any problem with BoB allowing sales of alcohol, knives, vehicles, paintball and similar weapons but not allowing the sale of slagysters, dog shock collars, etc. then maybe think - "it is about anti-cruelty"

The lines are relatively clearly drawn between uses of these items.

Guns, vehicles, knives, etc. all do kill animals and people - however (with the exception of knives) licences are required for the use/ownership of these things. In general (unless I have missed an important concept all my life) - no one leaves their car / aeroplane lying in the veld ready to roll onto an animal to trap it. Generally, guns are also not used in the same way and although sometimes birds are caught by alcohol-soaked grain - they generally do not seem to suffer much from the inebriation.

mellowred
......... gin traps (and similar items) are indiscriminate - left to catch whatever animal steps into it. The animal is then left in there for X amount of time, in excruciating pain ....

Guns, used properly, result in instant death. Gin traps, used properly, result in the above.

republikein
Hello Republikein

While I have never hunted (except for hunting for human beings while I was in the old SADF) and never fish, I do believe that “die slagyster” is an extremely cruel way of “hunting” or rather a very cruel way of killing animals. To me it is tantamount to torture.

There is no such thing as a "problem animal".

Jacques

Thank you for the reply. If anybody here thinks that I support the use of slagysters, then you must read again what I have written. I am 200% against the use of slagysters, and agree that they are cruel and kill indiscriminately. I also agree that there is no such thing as a "problem animal", as we humans intruded into the animal's territory. But, my point is that these old relics must not be destroyed as scrap metal, but that they can find a purposeful display in a museum or house. Yes, ban the use thereof. Yes, ban the manufacture thereof. Yes, ban the sale of new slagysters in the local kooperasie, but do not ban the sale of old ones as relics from the past. Is this possible? We must not destroy our history, but keep it as a reminder of what can be wrong (as in the case of slagysters) or right. I rest my case.

lilythepink

I have rescued many animals from gin traps set by poachers - and pretty recently, too, where MrA flies his aeroplane! Just seeing the panic on a wild animal's face when it is trapped, let alone the pain it has to endure, is enough to make me want to decapitate the human beings that set them! They belong in museums - definitely NOT in use anymore and should be outlawed!

JohnBenn

I wish I had gin then I could pour it down my trap:cool:.

Gin traps are EVIL!!!!!

Bargain Coins

I understand the commotion regarding the trap, but surely who are we to decide what the buyer of the item is going to do with it? If all think that it will be used to trap animals then the sale of guns, knives, fishing tackle etc also should be banned, not so? the fishing lures with 2 treble hooks actually don't catch fish in the mouth but on any part and many get lost scarred for life. pellet guns in a child's hands is a lot of birds as moving targets etc. The same goes to the sale of products obtained from these bad hunting practices. Do we know how and where that fur coat or ivory bangle came from? Why buy IJ or FOOD CORP products in shops as they use huge nets to catch anything that swim in the sea, killing thousands of unwanted fish?

lilythepink

Why are guns illegal, then? Why is commiting murder illegal, then? Why, why why? I guess the answer is that if people can't keep themselves attuned to living in an environmentally, moral way then there have to be rules? And, yes, not all rules/laws can be properly regulated but they do go some way to curbing the totally amoralistic way far too many humans live.

kyle2

I personally think that double standards aside, someone has to take a stand for what is right, and this is what BoB has done here by banning the sale of these horrific devices. Even by banning the things, a statement, even awareness is being made!

Well done BoB for not allowing these things for sale here.:huh:

lilythepink

I totally and absolutely agree with you, Kyle2! Hats off to BoB!

Jongleur

Another one :

1635815_120618115546_006.JPG.400ee8d94ecc2158969b7324f487e9e9.JPG

bidorbuy ID: 68338914

Edited by Jongleur
add reference

lilythepink

Disgusting! Hope you have reported it to CW!

Jongleur
Disgusting! Hope you have reported it to CW!

Would`nt know how.

I did ask the seller - Cheltrad - to consider removing it via the auction page. The suggestion came

back that I should buy it. I told the seller that the suggestion has merit but at present

I am negotiating to buy, amongst others, Zimbabwe and the Kruger National Park. In other

words, should I have a few bucks spare after this humble attempt, I might just consider it. Perhaps

I will get an answer.