Sign in to follow this  
McRoffels

Potential "USA" scammer

McRoffels

I posted my iphone for sale today and a few hours later it was "bought" by "shyman11". He immediately sent me this email:

"Just bought your item 4849836 ( iPhone 4s White - 16GB),am getting it for my daughter for her Grade 12 (MATRIC) ,kindly confirm the shipping cost VIA SAPO to phoenix,Arizona 85014 and get back to me so that I can proceed with payment.I will be patiently waiting for your prompt response

Have a Great day Ahead

prince

shamellon26@hotmail.com"

I explicitly said that I only want to send to South African customers as I don't want the hassle of filling in customs forms and whatnot, and I also said that I will ship it with DHL free of charge, and yet I immediately get a buyer who wants it shipped to arizona and asking for a SAPO shipping quote.

So I googled his name "prince mensah" who turns out to be a poet in ghana. I also googled the address he mentioned in his email, and one of the results was this bid or buy thread: http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/forum-community-watch/11232-overseas-buyer.html

The address in that thread is the exact one he gave me in his email.

His username suggests his location is Cullinan.

His shipping address that he "paid" with is

334 bree street

johannesburg

South Africa

which looks like a building with broken windows in hillbrow: 334 bree street johannesburg - Google Maps

also, the joburg postal code should be 2001, not 1000

So what should I do? Just ignore and relist my item?

McRoffels

Also I should mention that the person tried to phone me from a private number immediately after the sale - perhaps this is how they try to coax the bank details out of a flustered seller. Luckily I was in a meeting and my phone on silent.

mellowred

Looks like he has already been deleted.

That address on Google Maps is the Hawaiian Pub and Diner. How stupid do these scammers think we are?

mrmouse
Also I should mention that the person tried to phone me from a private number immediately after the sale - perhaps this is how they try to coax the bank details out of a flustered seller. Luckily I was in a meeting and my phone on silent.

Put an advert on that ," sticky tree " site and see how many con artists call and email you , be afraid be very afraid .I had a 10mb mail box filled with con artist emails in one day with that site, never mind all the SMS`s.