Sign in to follow this  
Not1CentMore

New 'Baby' In The House

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

The rescue organization brought Toby home Saturday afternoon. This is his 'pre-salon' picture. He was so matted, 'someone' just took the scissors to him (looks more like it was a weed wacker). His appointment is Wednesday and his hair will probably have to be 'taken down' quite a bit to even it out.

Handsome little guy even if he is, for right now, a tad 'scruffy' looking.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3385[/ATTACH]

Ruthie

geewhizz    20
geewhizz
The rescue organization brought Toby home Saturday afternoon. This is his 'pre-salon' picture. He was so matted, 'someone' just took the scissors to him (looks more like it was a weed wacker). His appointment is Wednesday and his hair will probably have to be 'taken down' quite a bit to even it out.

Handsome little guy even if he is, for right now, a tad 'scruffy' looking.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3385[/ATTACH]

Ruthie

How much is postage Ruthie---Airmail? or should I say air transportation 1st class.

So so cute.

wayjen    10
wayjen

aah cute.

Our daughter in Florida is taking an elderly ladies dog just like that out for her "walkies" every day and gets paid good money for the service.

mellowred    10
mellowred

Aaaaawwwww.

Cutest little face.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Thanks for taking the little chap in, Ruthie. You have a big heart and I just know he's going to be extra happy with you.

svw    10
svw

Too Cute ! - Definiately going to be one well loved little puppy - please send us pics when he has had his makeover...

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore
please send us pics when he has had his makeover...

Will do. Now, if I can just get him to eat.

The rescue lady brought a little bag of what she says she has been 'hand' feeding him, but he won't touch it. Have tried four different foods and the only thing the little bugger will eat is BBQ flavored Milkbone biscuits (treats). Even broiled a steak this morning, 'shredded' it and he walked away. Am going to have to call the Vet tomorrow (today is a holiday). I understand the 'trauma'; not with his 'daddy' of 4-years, Humane Society kennel, rescue / foster home and now here (plus shots and blood draw at the Vet's office Saturday morning), but he's gotta eat! Only a couple of drinks of water.

Ruthie

svw    10
svw
Will do. Now, if I can just get him to eat.

The rescue lady brought a little bag of what she says she has been 'hand' feeding him, but he won't touch it. Have tried four different foods and the only thing the little bugger will eat is BBQ flavored Milkbone biscuits (treats). Even broiled a steak this morning, 'shredded' it and he walked away. Am going to have to call the Vet tomorrow (today is a holiday). I understand the 'trauma'; not with his 'daddy' of 4-years, Humane Society kennel, rescue / foster home and now here (plus shots and blood draw at the Vet's office Saturday morning), but he's gotta eat! Only a couple of drinks of water.

Ruthie

What about chicken livers - cook them in the microwave [make sure you have a lid on bowl - they can explode!] - they are very high in nutrients and strong smelling he won't need much - try mixing them into his cubes or even a bit of cooked rice [without salt].

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Maltese are very finiky and tend to be very "emotional" with regards to eating - or not eating! I remember with my mom's little one - any little thing "not right" and she would not eat for days.

Toby is most likely just very upset or unsettled so should start to eat in his own time. But a good once over from the vet won't do any harm...

Just lots of love, patience and care will get Toby trusting humans once again. He just has to learn that you are not a threat to him... at the moment you're still a stranger and he is now in a new strange place...

geewhizz    20
geewhizz

Biltong!! Oh dear his American.

mellowred    10
mellowred

So long as he is drinking Ruthie, just smother him with love and attention. Keep the food available and he'll eat in his own good time.

If he has been with one man for 4 years, he will be unsettled for a while, but you'll win him over.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Biltong!! Oh dear his American.

Jerky...

Maltese are picky eaters (well some of them anyway). Have his teeth and gums checked - also, try rice - cooked with the chicken livers.

Difficult eaters are tricky - I have one - she LOVES rice with meat cooked in it - turns her nose up at almost anything else.

Good luck!

mellowred    10
mellowred

Aren't Maltese also "one man" dogs? Can't find the original post, but think I remember that this little guy's previous owner died. Dogs feel their owner's pain, illness and sadness. May take him longer than average to settle.

Having a good check over, especially the teeth as MsPlod suggests, is a good idea.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

Thanks, all.

Complete checkup / checkout at the vets Saturday morning. Shots, blood draw, teeth...the 'whole ball of wax'. He was given a 'clean bill of health'.

But...

Calling the vet. He is STILL not eating....well, except the 'crust' of bread, bits of hamburger and pretzels. Turns up his nose at everything else I have tried including the chicken livers and rice; even a grilled steak shredded into tiny pieces. I know the 'people food' isn't good for him, but he's gotta eat! Very little water...few sips here and there. His tummy is growling like crazy.

I went to McBarf's yesterday for a mocha drink and he went totally nutso at the drive-through. Yap, yap, yap and jump, twirl, jump. Didn't get him anything, but if I can't get into the see the vet today, we are going on a road trip to McBarf's and get a plain burger and fries.

Ruthie

mellowred    10
mellowred

There's the answer Ruthie. You have a junk food junkie. From what I hear takeaways (take-out?) is cheaper than home made in some parts of USA. Perhaps the previous dad was single and ate out most of the time.:cool:

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Tell them to micro-size it...

mellowred    10
mellowred

On a serious note though, is it possible for a dog to starve himself? I would have thought that instinct would kick in and force him/her to eat eventually.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore
There's the answer Ruthie. You have a junk food junkie. From what I hear takeaways (take-out?) is cheaper than home made in some parts of USA. Perhaps the previous dad was single and ate out most of the time.:cool:

Mickie (rescue) has know Toby's 'daddy' for years. He owned a wrecking / tow service (still operating under the 'family name') until he lost everything (home/business/money in the bank) from drug addiction a few years back (only 53-years and less than 6-months to live). I am 'thinking' you are correct. Single guy, 'on the move' all the time with the in / out of the business and easier just to do a 'burger run' (after losing the business; 'grab 'n go'). Both 'junk food junkies'.

(Yes, with the economy 'in the tank' and the number of unemployed / under-employed increasing every week, it is often cheaper to get a 'fast food fill-up' than it is to go to the grocery store / market. It is well beyond 'trimming the fat' now. It is often 'scraping the bottom of the barrel' for a lot of families. Most everyone has had to 'scale back' what with the price of everything 'going through the roof'.)

What concerns me most is he may starve himself to death. The 'trauma' of change / loss and not having his burger and fries....well, it all may be 'the perfect storm'. I would much rather do a 'burger run' (supplimented with vitamins, etc.) every day than to see him 'waste away' and die. This is day 3 and, except for 'bits' of 'junk food', he hasn't eaten a thing and only a few sips of water. MOST dogs would eat at some point; he's not.

My vet is 'the bomb'; absolutely 'walks on water'. If she can't 'work a plan' that will work, McBarfs is gonna see a lot of us.

Ruthie

Edited by Not1CentMore

geewhizz    20
geewhizz

I am a totally anti-dry food (all the time) person. To me it is just a money making racket.

Imagine us being fed with dry biscuits,dry this and dry that everyday

My dogs are my children. They need something tasty every now and then. I dont believe in junk food but livers,chicken etc now and again is fair to them

They get a small snack off our plates everynight otherwise they will sulk and mummy will feel mean.

mellowred    10
mellowred

I'm with you on that GeeWhizz. Tried to feed the cats "food" once a day and make the other meal just pellets. But from day 1 they seemed to know that if they hung out long enough they would get the tasty stuff. I also decided to mix their chicken or mince or livers with rice. PPffffffttttt that didn't work either did it.

I swear it was a lie that they came from Animal Welfare. These two came from a palace somewhere. It's really tough for them living down here with us. I have had to turn vegetarian so that they can eat!

Anybody want two cats? Free to a good home provided you can supply 1kg of chicken a day. :cool:

svw    10
svw

I think mellowred has just hit the nail on the head......

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore
I think mellowred has just hit the nail on the head......

Well, bacon and eggs (smushed/crumbled) didn't 'do the trick' this morning; darn.

I called Mickie and she (duh) forgot to tell me, when she gave me his bag of DRY food, that he didn't like it dry... to add warm water and let it get 'soft' and then offer it to him. She said she had to hand-feed him AFTER him not eating for 4-days at her house. Tried that. Nope. Can't get to the vet today; booked, so it is 'hi-ho, hi-ho, off to McBarfs we go' (kid's meal and the prize is mine!)

Ruthie

svw    10
svw

Here is a recipe for "Little Balls". Many rescues use them to help dogs gain weight they are about 500cal per ball.

I would suggest that make 1/10th of recipe first to see if he will eat them.

1 lb cheap ground beef (for high fat %)

1+1/3 cups corn flakes (in USA called Total Cereal)

1+1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal

1 raw egg

6 tablespoons wheatgerm

1pkt unflavoured gelatin (in USA knox gelatin)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 tablespoons unsulphered molasses

pinch salt

Mix all ingredients together and make small hamburger or small meatballs - they can be frozen and thawed as needed.

AND no you nutters before the comments start these have nothing to do with V's meatballs. - For dogs only!!!!!!

voldermort    10
voldermort
Here is a recipe for "Little Balls". Many rescues use them to help dogs gain weight they are about 500cal per ball.

I would suggest that make 1/10th of recipe first to see if he will eat them.

1 lb cheap ground beef (for high fat %)

1+1/3 cups corn flakes (in USA called Total Cereal)

1+1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal

1 raw egg

6 tablespoons wheatgerm

1pkt unflavoured gelatin (in USA knox gelatin)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 tablespoons unsulphered molasses

pinch salt

Mix all ingredients together and make small hamburger or small meatballs - they can be frozen and thawed as needed.

AND no you nutters before the comments start these have nothing to do with V's meatballs. - For dogs only!!!!!!

They NEED to be bantered!

svw    10
svw
They NEED to be bantered!

ONLY yours needed the bantering....these are too doggylicious for that!