Sign in to follow this  
Rare NotesCoins

Putting the record straight on The Pregnant Springbok

Rare NotesCoins

Good day to all[ATTACH=CONFIG]3350[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3351[/ATTACH]

Hopefully this will stop people selling Pregnant Springboks from 1967 to 1990. This is what a pregnant Springbok looks like :evil:

You can see both parts of the stomach on the coin. It is not a none genital Springbok . Its not an under develop Springbok. You will also notice it is a 1966 Afrikaans Coin and not a 1967 or any other year. Only two exist of these coins and are therefore extremelly scarse. In my opinion they are worth R20 000 each. Opinions are welcomed .

Thanks go out to Brian Hern for his help with this issue:grin:

Empirex

Thanks for that, always wondered what exactly a pregnant Springbok coin looked like...

Like many (I suspect), I thought it was just a standard Springbok sans the pen** due to a soft strike or what have you.

Rare NotesCoins

I dont like when people are trying to do others in by stating that it is a Pregnant Springbok and it is not. When a person on bob tried to "Steal" R23000 from a pensioner claiming his 1967 were pregnant I nearlly lost it. He went bad mouthing me. When you tell a guy something, back it up with facts not greed.

Then he walks into the shop and says "ag what it doesnt matter.

Please people think before you talk and dont listen to rumours. If you heard something , rather ask the person than spreading rumours.

Thanx

wayjen

I am sitting here with a 1966 afrikaans R1 coin in my hands but I am not sure it is the "pregnant springbok", would there be another coin like your one but NOT a pregnant springbok?

4kids
Good day to all[ATTACH=CONFIG]3350[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3351[/ATTACH]

Hopefully this will stop people selling Pregnant Springboks from 1967 to 1990. This is what a pregnant Springbok looks like :evil:

Thanks go out to Brian Hern for his help with this issue:grin:

Morne,

For Years Brian Hern himeslf sold 1967 "Pregnant Pringbok R1.00 Coins with the 1967 date. It is then even so catalogued in his handbook and I wonder if a published apology would be forthcomming.

There is nothing wrong with the fact that this is indeed the variety Pregnant Springbok in 1966 date in the Afrikaans legend. Hereunder a larger picture of such a coin.

pregbok66-2.jpg.2c073daf9829c5e70abf5671e3519af6.jpg

Edited by 4kids

Cold Sea

What I see here looks more like a mint error to me. Hern mentions a variety and from the photo in his handbook it's difficult to tell whether it's a variety or error. R20 000 seems a bit dramatic, as does the mintage figure of 2. Maybe put it on auction with a R1 start and see what happens.

Edited by Cold Sea

4kids
What I see here looks more like a mint error to me. Hern mentions a variety and from the photo in his handbook it's difficult to tell whether it's a variety or error. R20 000 seems a bit dramatic, as does the mintage figure of 2. Maybe put it on auction with a R1 start and see what happens.

It is wort while mentioning that Hern's Handbook is often in contradiction. In the 2012 edition page 136 he describes the Pregnant Sprinbok as dated 1966 yet on page 143 he describes as 1967.

Dr. Mitchell identified the Pregnant Springbok as 1966 and the pictures listed here is indeed a pregnant springbok and in all probability an ERROR that has been identified and named accordingly.

And no, these extremely rare pieces would never end up on R 1.00 auctions as such rareties immediately would be taken up by serious collectors.

alloway65

A Pregnant Pringbok that is a new one!!!! Wearing a Pringle shirt maybe!!!!

I have seen quite a few so called Pregnant Springbok's on BoB R1 auctions, over the years....maybe they just had a bad gas problem.

alloway65

As their seems to be contradictions within Hern's re the PS, I won't bother to look at mine!

Therefor can I ask a silly question.....does the PS occur both in silver strikes and nickel strikes....or just in one...if so which one?

I have over 400 1967 AU Silver R1's bought in one batch a few years ago......is it worth my time looking through them for a PS?????

Edited by alloway65

4kids
as their seems to be contradictions within hern's re the ps, i won't bother to look at mine!

Therefor can i ask a silly question.....does the ps occur both in silver strikes and nickel strikes....or just in one...if so which one?

I have over 400 1997 au silver r1's bought in one batch a few years ago......is it worth my time looking through them for a ps?????

1. The pregnant springbok variety only occurs in the 1966 silver one rand afrikaans legend.

2. This posting was made to set the record straight and not to debate

3. Hern made the mistake in his hanbook and i suppose he will now correct it with a new updated picture in his next issue

Cold Sea

Hi 4kids,

I was hoping that you and/or Rarenotescoins (or anybody else) could post a clearer photo of this coin. From Rarenote's photo it seems that the Springbok's "spear" is still intact, with the "pregnant" section following. This might help determine how this error occurred. It is interesting to note that the tag ear variety also only occurs in the circulation issue of 1966. I have tried to compare these two over the weekend, with a little help from Aljada'a earlier notes, but maybe need a better pic. I doubt whether Hern will publish a suitable photo.

As for the value of the coin and R1 auction, that was a play on Rarenotes' frustration with a chancer.

Regards

Derick

Edited by Cold Sea

JohnBenn

Did they change the Die after 66?

It might be that the one Die produced the same variety on several coins over several years,just like a certain Plate will produce the same variety on a several number of stamps.

alloway65

As Derick mentioned a better quality picture that could be enlarged would be an advantage in analyzing the PS error/variety.

From my own perspective until RNC started this thread I always wrongly thought the PS was a Springbok with no pe**s!!!!

Cold Sea

The real deal

pbok.jpg.6daa728b67499a3d01d3bd68220324fc.jpg

Thought I would slip this in.

Edited by Cold Sea

alloway65

Very good!!!!!:cool:

MsPlod
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3391[/ATTACH]

Thought I would slip this in.

you read my mind!! LOL! Excellent

kyle2
As Derick mentioned a better quality picture that could be enlarged would be an advantage in analyzing the PS error/variety.

From my own perspective until RNC started this thread I always wrongly thought the PS was a Springbok with no pe**s!!!!

Speaking of spearless springboks, someone has put one up for sale here Special Circulation & Commemorative Coins - no ***** Springbok- excelent coin+pics for sale in Cape Town (ID:67101245)

When will the madness stop?......LOL.:nuts:

Next we will have 3 legged springboks, prancing springboks(not leaping mind you) etc.etc.........................

alloway65

I have found that the lighting and the viewing angle has a material effect on the the degree of eunuchdom seen! :confused:

From some angles no ***** is seen and from other angles it has a faint ***** outline...at least with the coins I have!:whistling:

4kids
Hi 4kids,

I was hoping that you and/or Rarenotescoins (or anybody else) could post a clearer photo of this coin. Regards

Derick

Hi Derick,

I have little time between work, wife, kids, dogs and coin collecting but will set up my camera this evening and post a higher resolution photograph when I get a bit of time.

Regards

Jan

alloway65

Wait until you have four Grandchildren and you will even less time.....good fun though!:whistling:

4kids

Here the pictures as promised!

I've included a picture of a "Normal Springbok" as well for easy reference

58f5a7398027d_IMG_0742-COPY.JPG.28ddff39e412c61ac7c91848de45de00.JPG

Regards

Jan

A40B.JPG.0b0b3218739811fdebaa8ee52638a780.JPG

58f5a739710a8_IMG_0738-COPY.JPG.0b31fa1aedc5e243da81fea9b8a19d4c.JPG

58f5a73976203_IMG_0740-COPY.JPG.c6d7fef628006dbc46107f51bb1c26be.JPG

58f5a7397b2f6_IMG_0741-COPY.JPG.2a4b62c11ed2ac65781a68dad8076df9.JPG

alloway65

Thanks Jan,

So our little guy/girl still has a pe**s, so now we really know what to look for.

David

Cold Sea

Thank you for your trouble.

RISadler

Thanks for clarifying the issue. I've been mixing my R1's for years, hoping some of them will turn pregnant. Seems only the '66 has that ability ... is any specific vintage needed for the "doing" part?