Sign in to follow this  
mellowred

Does anyone else have an 8ta contract? Who to report total lack of response.

mellowred    10
mellowred

Hi all

I have an ongoing problem with 8ta and need some advice regarding where to report total lack of service, or where to go to have this issue made public.

The problem started in Nov last year when their debit order bounced due to my error. Paid the money in the next day and all was fine. Then in December they just decided to deduct the d/o on the 20th instead of the 30th. Of course there were no funds so it bounced again - this time it was their fault!, but they now considered me to be a bad payer, and transferred my account to a company called Nudebt (or Naedo). Because the two billing departments (8ta and Nudebt) don't communicate they were both deducting from my bank account, and doubling up on the deductions too. The worst one was when they tried to deduct R2,020 from my account on the 12th of Feb when the amount due on the 15th was only R543.69. This was really terrifying as I received a payment into my account of just over R5,000 on the night of the 12th. Imagine if that payment had come through a day earlier!

Anyway, 10 bounced debit orders later (I remove all funds from the account as I can't afford to lose money during one of their random deductions) about 40 one to two hour phone calls, more than 19 emails, I still can't get anyone to sort out the problem.

The billing issue is just one of several problems I have with 8ta, and I have brought all these issues to their attention with no success. Their call centre staff is fantastic, but all they do is hand the problem over to the relevant department and nothing gets done. I have spoken to "supervisors", "managers" etc. but have never received an official response or had the issues corrected.

They cut my phone on the 8th of February - the account was 100% up to date with the last debit order that went off on the 25th of January. It took me more than two weeks to get my phone reconnected - with no apology or notification. All I received was an SMS telling me I had been granted 100 free SMSs - for no reason .... whoopiedoo :evil:.

Have tried to get CPA involved - a very rude woman insisted that it is a billing issue and they won't get involved. It is not a billing issue - it is a lack of response issue. The only response I got to the email I sent to them was a request to confirm that I live in the Western Cape. So the CPA is just as useless as 8ta.

I have genuine bad debts which I am doing my best to resolve. All the stress of this 8ta issue is not acceptable.

Does anyone have any advice on where to go or who to phone? I have given 8ta a deadline at close of business today, so will need to know what to do by tomorrow morning.

Thanks for reading.

Mandy

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

As Hellkom are the providers of 8ta (if I remember correctly), perhaps Hellkom are the ones to deal with your problem?

If they keep trying to draw funds from your bank account, perhaps this should be reported to the Banking Ombudsman? It is illegal to try and place debits on your bank account when it is not the due date, no matter what! Just my 10c worth...

And another 10 cents worth ... report the story to http://www.hellopeter.co.za. This seems to get action from someone!

voldermort    10
voldermort

OK, ito s14 of the CPA you are entitled to cancel any fixed term contract (e.g. a cell phone contract) by giving at least 20 business days written notice subject to the payment of a reasonable penalty fee. (this must be in writing, a telephone call doesn't count) Regulation 5 gives some factors the court will look at when deciding what a reasonable penalty would be, such as the general practice of the industry, the potential of the supplier to find another consumer etc. In any case, regulation 5 prohibits the supplier from charging a penalty fee so big that it effectively prevents/makes it impossible for the consumer to cancel the contract. So I think it's best to cancel the contract with them this way & find somebody else, otherwise they may just keep doing their deducting thing forever & a day.

mellowred    10
mellowred

Thanks Jan, I have gone the HelloPeter route. 8ta respond there ... but just to tell you your problem is being investigated and to give you a reference number. Then nothing further happens. Perhaps I should put another post up there though. At least get anohter reference number to use against them.

Will call the Banking Ombudsman tomorrow morning if I get no joy from 8ta today.

mellowred    10
mellowred

My problem with cancelling the contract, V is that they do offer good rates on land line calls + we get 130 free minutes to landlines.. This is a much needed feature as we do not have a land line.

Not only that, there is no way I am prepared to pay a cancellation fee. My problems are all due to their incompetence. I also won't sit back and accept that they can effectively ruin my (or in this case, Hennie's) credit rating at Capitec and just get away with it. All this while they are still advertising for more suckers to sign up with them when they can't even look after the customers they have.

This is one of those "see red" issues where I will use up all my time and energy trying to get some justice. Possibly just a waste trying to fight "the system" but I find it hard (impossible?) to just walk away.

Shheessee ... if I could afford it I'd sue their socks off. Including the cost of hair colour to cover the grey they are causing. :evil: