Sign in to follow this  
MiemsJewels

Sellers please give some advice!

mrmouse

unfortunately the buyer has the right to decide to keep or not irrespective of reason , buyer also doesnt have to give a reason as to why they are not suitable , husband etc or not , The CPA is very clear on that , and the buyer decides on what course of action, refund , credit etc , it is an item sold as new and thus has to be honoured as new under CPA rules etc , as an electrical inspector by trade they are considered as appliances and fall outside of the SABS spec for electrical installations , so I wouldnt worry about that , the manufacturer will supply all specs etc if that is an issue , SA now accepts different specs , which was not the case previously , to avoid problems I would just get them back , pass a refund and resell as demo if used , I have not seen one in the flesh yet so cant pass comment on safety issues etc .

wayjen

Can we now go into any furniture shop and buy a "new" lounge suite off the floor and tell them it's second hand because we saw someone sit on it before we purchased it?

Jongleur
Can we now go into any furniture shop and buy a "new" lounge suite off the floor and tell them it's second hand because we saw someone sit on it before we purchased it?

Good question. When is a product deemed secondhand ?

mrmouse

actually a very valid question these days , most retailers are not allowed to sell stock off the floor , thats why they have HeyDays and overstock clearances to avoid the hassle of selling a "New " item off the floor , if their is a problem with it they dont have to replace as its now a demo , used , special etc . unfortunately the law states if customer is not happy irrespective of reason if the item was sold as new it must be refunded , and the customer has 6 months to decide if its suitable for the use or not . I wont sell as new anymore on BoB even if it is, it will be a demo unit .or used or refurbished ( I would still like to know how sellers refurbish a computer hard drive ) .to get over the new scenario.

mrmouse
Good question. When is a product deemed secondhand ?

second hand is when an item has been resold after the original purchaser paid for it , outside of a wholesale or retail business , as in consumer purchase etc , irrespective of time frame , sell an item you just purchased from retailer ,to your wife , she pays for it , it is then secondhand , then relists it as second hand its new but secondhand ,

wayjen

So what do you charge for a new secondhand item then?

voldermort

this sounds very much like how "on appro" used to work back in the day...imagine I am having a big do on the weekend, so then the thing to do is purchase a new lounge suite, fridge, microwave blah blah blah (just make everything look really snazzy for the day of the do) & on Monday I can then return everything with no rhyme or reason needed? Doesn't sound quite legit to me.

wayjen

All those outfits you tried on at Edgars for the big do Sam, are all secondhand as they been worn before when someone else tried them on.

voldermort
All those outfits you tried on at Edgars for the big do Sam, are all secondhand as they been worn before when someone else tried them on.

Taking them all back first thing in the am & demanding my money back - but really that is true, walk into any clothing shop & chances are good a vast majority of the clothes will have bn tried on before, so does that now make them 2nd hand?

wayjen
Taking them all back first thing in the am & demanding my money back - but really that is true, walk into any clothing shop & chances are good a vast majority of the clothes will have bn tried on before, so does that now make them 2nd hand?

what about driving that "new" car off the dealers floor, is it secondhand because Joe Soap took it for a test drive or because his brother drove it from the ship in the docks to the showroom?

mrmouse
only if they have been sold previously , and that you will never know .

mrmouse
So what do you charge for a new secondhand item then?

the price its worth , or just auction it off with a starting bid of what you deem the value is , you can still sell on auction as new , but ( I stand to be corrected here )an auction falls outside of the scope of the CPA except for warrantys etc .

mrmouse

on a lighter note didnt the people at the CPA headquarters say they didnt have enough money to run the call centre anymore , and needed a bigger budget to run efficiently and buy bigger cars and new houses and bigger cars and bigger ,,, oops I just said that .

MsPlod
No need to send me one, I understand your point of view, like I said, in my honest opinion, knowing electronics intimately, I leave nothing to chance, I don't even trust an electric blanket, had one spark a hole right through my infants mattress, I could put my arm through the aperture.

Am right with you on this... Not in a million years would I use an electric blanket.

MiemsJewels
No need to send me one, I understand your point of view, like I said, in my honest opinion, knowing electronics intimately, I leave nothing to chance, I don't even trust an electric blanket, had one spark a hole right through my infants mattress, I could put my arm through the aperture.

Kyle? You let a baby sleep on an electric blanket? Now really! That's playing with fire! I feel shivers running down my spine! Now THAT'S dangerous!

kyle2
Kyle? You let a baby sleep on an electric blanket? Now really! That's playing with fire! I feel shivers running down my spine! Now THAT'S dangerous!

I agree, new parents at the time, did not know how dangerous they were, brings me back to my point, if it plugs into the mains supply and does not have a step down transfomer between the device and the mains, keep it away from children.

Anything more than 24V scares me, I have seen terrible accidents with less voltage, arguably there was a bit more than normal current available.

mrmouse

does anyone remember what the original topic was ?

lilythepink
does anyone remember what the original topic was ?

How to iron one's shoelaces, or perhaps pull fluff from one's bellybutton? (Reminds me, I must make more of those brushes sometime!)

MsPlod
How to iron one's shoelaces, or perhaps pull fluff from one's bellybutton? (Reminds me, I must make more of those brushes sometime!)

Those brushes are FANTASTIC!

MiemsJewels
I agree, new parents at the time, did not know how dangerous they were, brings me back to my point, if it plugs into the mains supply and does not have a step down transfomer between the device and the mains, keep it away from children.

Anything more than 24V scares me, I have seen terrible accidents with less voltage, arguably there was a bit more than normal current available.

C'mon Kyle, try to prove me wrong!

You'll love Cozee All the benefits of portability, economy and safety without any of the risks. Just plug the new generation, eco-friendly Cozee electric hot water bottle into a mains plug, heat for 10 -15mins, then enjoy up to 5 hours of warmth. Your Cozee hot water bottle features a safety shut-off switch and a soft but extremely tough, high quality outer. It never overheats and stays cosy and warm for up to 5 hours. Ideal to take anywhere from arm to office chair, car to concert. The energy smart hot water bottle that's safe, portable and stays warm for hours 100% safety assured Cozee carries Australian and New Zealand Safety Standard AS/NZS 60335.2.17 (2007) V1. It has been trialed and tested to meet the most stringent international standards. The trip switch protects against unlikely malfunction. And you don't have to fill your Cozee with water. The water's sealed in and heats to a perfect 60-70degrees C, then switches off automatically and stays warm for up to 5hrs.

100% protection from leaks Unlike old fashioned rubber and pvc hot water bottles, the new generation Cozee is made from a tough, durable, three ply system of specially manufactured material that is guaranteed not to leak, rot, perish of split.

Soothes away aches and pains The problem with wheatbags and conventional ‘hotties' is they get too hot and then too cold too fast! A Cozee electric hot water bottle heats to a safe temperature in minutes and provides up to 5 hours of blissful relief from sports injuries, muscle strains, back pain and menstrual cramps, and comfort for arthritis and rheumatism sufferers.

Safe for children Cozee electric hot water bottles are a safe and alternative bed warming system for children. Simply plug it in, warm it up, unplug and pop into the bed for a snug and healthy night's sleep. No danger of falling asleep and leaving it on high, no worries of accidents in the night. Cozee is the ideal comforter for everyone, young and old.

[h=1]Electric Hot Water Bottles[/h]

Throw away that old hottie! For years the traditional old hot water bottle has been considered a safe means of providing warmth and comfort. The trouble is, that traditional hot water bottle is not as safe or effective as you may think. Severe burns and scalds have resulted from filling with boiling water, splits and leaks. For diabetes sufferers and anyone suffering from reduced sensation in hands or feet, burns from traditional hot water bottles are frequent and real. The problem is so widespread that in order to prevent unnecessary injury, in 2009 the NSW Government Department of Fair Trading recalled 250,000 hot water bottles due to defective manufacturing.

Easy to use10mins to heat , Stays warm for up to 5hrs

Edited by MiemsJewels

Cali Craft and Gems

Any item that is not used for it's intended purpose can be considered potentially dangerous! And it does not have to be an electric item either. Most items have warnings highlighted that care must be taken or use with certain "age groups" must be supervised.

Which brings to mind the incident where I almost lost my husband thanks to the stupidity (and penny-pinching ways) of others... he was electrocuted on our anniversary a few years ago and thankfully lived to tell the tale!

(and yet he still blames marriage for his grey hairs - I'm telling you it was the electricity, not me!) :grin:

mellowred

I'm with Kyle on the Karma thing here. The husband doesn't want them ... his Karma will cause something to go wrong.

It is not your problem Miems; IMO you do not need to refund, the wife should take responsibility for buying them in the first place, but just for the sake of good Karma take them back less a small % maybe, or even give her a credit towards her next purchase.

kyle2
C'mon Kyle, try to prove me wrong!

I really appreciate your side of the story, I mean you absolutely no disrespect at all, I just can't put my integrity on the line with this one. I personally would not want one of these around my kids, this does not stop anyone else from buying one from you, I wish you success with the thing and do sincerely hope nothing ever goes wrong with them.:meh:

mrmouse

My last 2 cents , my wife went out and sourced one , my 5 year old is now wandering around with the thing stuffed in her shirt , the only thing i feel is unsafe, is the unit is not earthed ,( it may not be the same as yours )that presents a whole new kettle of fish as the item is classified as an immersion heater and must be eathed as per SABS spec ( if yours has a 2 pin plug its not earthed ) ( but it may be double insulated ,, then no earth is allowed ) ,the plug, to plug it in with is ok but will probably have to be changed for SA , ( i dont think anyone cares about it really ) a heater without an earth can be dangerous if the element corrodes through and mains comes in contact with the solution inside it could shock you quite badly , especially if your`e bare foot and standing in a puddle of water , I think its a great gadget and i can see big fights over this thing , its as safe as what you make it , just respect it as a mains appliance .