Sign in to follow this  
Not1CentMore

To File or Not To File SNC

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

Some input would be appreciated.

Buyer bids/wins multiple items between 28th April and 09th May. Buyer requests 'budgeting'; equal monthly payments beginning 15th May with last payment 15th October. I agreed.

Not hearing further from Buyer (no reply to email reminder on 15th), I file SNC on one item. She appeals SNC with 'will pay' and sends email inquiring WHY I filed SNC and says, "I am just waiting for the money to come through into my credit card so that I can make payment via PayPal which is linked with my credit card. It usually takes +- 3 days before it comes into my account when doing and EFT into the credit card. I am unable to get to the bank during the week before it closes as I work a full day and the banks are closed by the time I go off duty.(I am a nurse)."

Today is the 21st, nearly a full month since the first three or four auctions closed. No further communication and no payment.

So, how long do I wait before filing a SNC on all auctions? Terms state payment due 3-days, but I do 'work with' my Buyers when they request additional time to remit payment or need 'budgeting'. Do I allow another +/- 3 days or....? I really do not want to 'sit' on these items when they can be relisted and perhaps sold to another Buyer.

What to do.... What to do....

(scratching head AND spitting tacks...one Buyer gave me a negative after her PayPal payment was reverted ($2.54USD) because she wanted her money back because she admitted she did not see shipping costs - didn't read before bidding. Grrrr....)

Thanks.

Ruthie

wayjen    10
wayjen

Been there, done that. We cannot live on promises and whilst we are waiting on those promises of payments we could have got business somewhere else. While we all like to help where we can we have to draw the line somewhere. I think you did what you could and if they are not playing ball then tough luck you need to file your SNC.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I agree with Wayne.

admin    0
admin
Some input would be appreciated.

Buyer bids/wins multiple items between 28th April and 09th May. Buyer requests 'budgeting'; equal monthly payments beginning 15th May with last payment 15th October. I agreed.

File SNC's and let her know lay-by's are not allowed, 'cause it ain't. :wink:

1.19. Sellers may not offer lay-by's as a payment option to Buyers.

Listing Policy

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

File SNC's and let her know lay-by's are not allowed, 'cause it ain't. :wink:

Listing Policy

Ooops...did not know that.

Lay-bys... maybe the same as lay-a-ways here?

(Reckon ya can teach an 'old dog' new tricks.)

Two smacks with a wet noodle for me.

SNCs to be filed...a buncha-bunch of 'em.

Ruthie

mellowred    10
mellowred

Wwwhhhyyy?

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Just because mellow. Just because!

wayjen    10
wayjen
Wwwhhhyyy?

Paperwork darling, paperwork!

voldermort    10
voldermort
Wwwhhhyyy?

Because we are not Pep Stores is why.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

And now... another question.

SNCs have been filed on all 20 items. Buyer has replied 'to pay' and sent email saying she will be remitting payment for two or three at a time....mid-June (was May) until all are paid for.

Question: Is this still considered 'lay-by' (lay-a-way)? Or, as payment is received for each item, can the SNC then be retracted? I am 'thinking' other Sellers may have, after SNC is complete for non-payment, 'gone back in' and retracted the SNC and modified any negative rating when payment was received....or am I, as they say here, 'all wet'?

And... I am concerned about all the 'strikes' against Buyer's account for non-payment and how that might lead to disabling and/or blacklisting her account. I would hate to see that happen.

Do not want to violate any 'rule' and do not want my hand slapped with a wet noodle, so really would appreciate Admin advising how to proceed.

Thanks a heap.

Ruthie

mellowred    10
mellowred

I think it would be a lay-bye Ruthie. She would be paying upfront instalments.

BoB don't automatically note and bar accounts with high SNCs, so you need not let that worry you.

And if you are just feeling sorry for the buyer, it is up to you, but if her SNC rate is high it may be time for other sellers to be forewarned.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore
I think it would be a lay-bye Ruthie. She would be paying upfront instalments.

BoB don't automatically note and bar accounts with high SNCs, so you need not let that worry you.

And if you are just feeling sorry for the buyer, it is up to you, but if her SNC rate is high it may be time for other sellers to be forewarned.

Thank-you. Kinda 'thunk so', too, but just needed to make sure.

I am 'thinking' Buyer receives a 'strike' against their account when SNC is complete (payment not received) and I would not want her account to be in 'jeopardy'.

Either way, I cannot leave 20 negatives. I'll just not leave a feedback.

Ruthie

wayjen    10
wayjen

Uncle BoB already deducted his piece of the pie so what would it matter if the Buyer pays in installments? It might be an issue should they be paying bit by bit into a BoB account but I guess the Buyer would be using the same reference code for each payment and if they paid straight into your account or Paypal then that is another issue.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore
Uncle BoB already deducted his piece of the pie so what would it matter if the Buyer pays in installments? It might be an issue should they be paying bit by bit into a BoB account but I guess the Buyer would be using the same reference code for each payment and if they paid straight into your account or Paypal then that is another issue.

Wayne...

The FVFs charged will be reverted once the SNCs are complete, so BoB will have only 'smelled' the pie...not taken a 'bite' out of it. With each item paid for, the SNC for that auciton would be retracted and then BoB would get a 'bite' of the pie. SNCs would be retracted one by one until all SNCs were retracted. I would NEVER think to short-change BoB on fees. (Payment would be made via PayPal, not via BoB, so no confusion on reference number.)

But, I can understand the 'lay-by' (lay-a-way) concept and do not want to violate policy. Never, in over 8-years, have I had one like this and didn't know how to proceed.

I am 'thinking', as Mandy noted, this still falls under the 'no-no' catagory, but needed/wanted clarification.

Ruthie

admin    0
admin
Uncle BoB already deducted his piece of the pie so what would it matter if the Buyer pays in installments?

Buyer pays first installment, one month later no money is forthcoming, 20 or so emails has to be handled by bidorbuy staff, buyer pays (already one month in arrears after the he said she said that took a month) buyer pays next 2 installments, fails again (month 5 since the sale took place) back to emails we go. Deal is cancelled, months after the sale took place, bidorbuy took success fees way back, it has to be refunded as no sale took place, payments that were made to the seller has to be refunded to the buyer.....need I go on....

wayjen    10
wayjen
Buyer pays first installment, one month later no money is forthcoming, 20 or so emails has to be handled by bidorbuy staff, buyer pays (already one month in arrears after the he said she said that took a month) buyer pays next 2 installments, fails again (month 5 since the sale took place) back to emails we go. Deal is cancelled, months after the sale took place, bidorbuy took success fees way back, it has to be refunded as no sale took place, payments that were made to the seller has to be refunded to the buyer.....need I go on....

That's why I said it might be an issue with BoB getting installments monthly......

svw    10
svw

If it were me I would advise buyer to pay for the items that they can afford to pay for now - complete the SNC's on the other items and advise buyer that unfortunately you are unable to do "lay by" but they are more than welcome to purchase more items from you when they can afford to. This way you won't be paying commission upfront but only on the items as they are sold - you never know you might let the sale go through and then a few months down the line buyer still cannot afford to pay and then it will be too late to file a SNC - end result you would have lost out having paid commission that cannot be claimed back. As far as rating you can always rate neutral - it won't affect her rating percentage and if you put a nice explanation with the rating explaining why the order had to be cancelled - most people should understand.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

Copy of email sent to Buyer:

Dear xxxxx,

Thank-you for your email.

Pursuant to BoB, 'lay-by' is not permitted; against the rules. I cannot, therefore agree to a 'payment plan' for the auctions you won.

With respect to the SNCs filed, I was instructed to file the SNCs for the reason above; lay-by not allowed. With reference to auction xxxxxxx, although you responded 'will pay', the 7-days to do so has expired. SNC is complete; payment not received. With respect to the pending SNCs, should payment be made on one or all, within the 7-days allowed by BoB, the SNC for that / those auctions will be retracted. The other pending SNCs 'will stand'.

Filing a SNC is simply a 'tool'. Sellers are charged fees when an auction closes with a winning bid. The only way to recoup those fees when a transaction is not completed is by filing a SNC. It is in no way a relection on you or your business ethics.

I do apologize for any inconvenience my agreeing to accept payment 'over time' may have caused. I was not familiar with the term 'lay-by' and did not realize that 'spreading' payments out over time was a violation of BoB's rules.

If, in the future, you find a 'pretty' I have listed that you simply 'must have', and you can make payment when the auction closes, please feel free to bid on that auction.

Ruthie

Edited by Not1CentMore

wayjen    10
wayjen

Very nice letter Ruthie.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

Thank-you, Wayne.

It 'worries my pretty little head' (as they say here) that that many 'strikes' for non-payment will put her account in jeopardy. I would not want that to happen. She may have 'thought' she could bid/win and pay 'piece meal'... an honest mistake.

I've not heard further from her, so will just 'sit tight' and see how it all 'comes out in the wash'; payment received for one...or none. Either way, I will not leave a feedback (rating) for her.

Thanks mega bunches to ALL for your insight and input on this post.

'Off to see the wizard' (tranlated: laundry, cleaning, mopping, waxing, polishing, etc.).

On another note: Phillip and I may be the new brother and Mama to a 4-year old Maltese tomorrow afternoon. Toby's 'daddy' has less than 6-months to live and the little guy is looking to adopt a new family that will love him and spoil him to pieces. (Toby visited us for nearly two-hours last night and was on my lap almost the entire time.) The lady from the rescue organization is fostering him and she will let us know tomorrow if Toby will be coming 'home' by tomorrow night. Fingers crossed....

Have a super duper weekend, everyone.

Ruthie

Edited by Not1CentMore

wayjen    10
wayjen

I am wondering if this person has tried the "budgeting" thing with other Sellers and expects the same from you. If this is indeed happening then how are they getting it right or is this just a chance this person is taking?

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

From 'near as I can tell' from her feedback, she has made 'payment arrangements' a couple of times; 'looks like' after SNC complete and feedback left. 'Looks like' maybe she bid/won and then paid a couple of weeks to a month later. Cannot tell if there were partial payments made until completely paid for or if she just needed a 'little time' to gather up the monies (pay day, perhaps).

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! Wayne's avatar: Looks like he has his 'flashing' raincoat on. [ATTACH=CONFIG]3363[/ATTACH]

Ruthie

9_small4.gif.4c74c8ae055b8f6766e520a86bb0e4c0.gif

wayjen    10
wayjen

You know we sold an item a few days/week ago and after all emails were sent out and reminders we had to file an SNC, well last night we get an email to apologize and say "I was out of the country and could not make payment", well payment was made today but is it not strange that people only respond to SNC's and not emails and or reminders?

Edited by wayjen

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore
Youknow we sold an item a few days/week ago and after all emails were sent out and reminders we had to file an SNC, well last night we get an email to apologize and say "I was out of the country and could not make payment", well payment was made today but is it not strange that people only respond to SNC's and not emails and or reminders?

Or, the Buyer, who ignores email reminders / reminders sent via BoB's message system, either reply to a SNC "to pay" (never to be heard from again) or simply put the SNC 'on the back burner of ignore' and then, when they receive an email from BoB saying a 'strike' has been placed against their account, come 'flying out of the woodwork' with an email saying, "uh, uh, uh...what's this mean?" "Why did YOU do this to me?" "I will NEVER buy from you again" (uh, ya didn't pay for the item you bid/won, so ok...don't). And the 'excuses' go on and on. Gotta love it, though. Some of the emails give me my 'daily quota' of 'chuckles'.

Ruthie

svw    10
svw

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! Wayne's avatar: Looks like he has his 'flashing' raincoat on. [ATTACH=CONFIG]3363[/ATTACH]

Ruthie

And I thought he was just covering up after all the comments about "the thumb"...