Sign in to follow this  
Miss Jewels

Buyers not offering combined shipping on R1.00 auctions

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

I asked a seller this evening what the charges would be for combined shipping on her items would be (she is currently offering 5 identical items). Answers was : Thanks for asking. Sorry dear on R1 auction, there is no combined postage.

Regards, Melinda

I find this to be a way to generate extra income for items not reaching decent prices.

There are a few sellers who do not hold any stock and are charging astronomical amounts for postage.

Other sellers will advertise R65.00 postage for Buy Now items, but for their R1.00 auctions, they charge in excess of R250.00 per item postage (no combined shipping)

I really urge BoB to have a look into this practise. Not only are they losing out on income, but a single buyer is paying part of their bulk import, which I find to be really dishonest.

I import regularly, so have all my costings available as to different purchase prices vs import tax and handling charges.

This really needs to be seriously addressed.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Send reports through to CW as soon as you pick up something like this. Trying to make a profit out of postage on the R1.00 auctions is not allowed and others have been censored for it! Just refer CW to the postage on their "normal" items and the relevant R1.00 auction(s) and something will be done about it, I know.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Recouping costs from shipping appears to be condoned by BoB. Until they put some clear policies in place which specify how traders may charge, or at very least force traders to show how shipping costs are derived, this debacle will continue.

Strange though, since BoB continually "loses" on the deal. I think I should start trading selling R175 (value for money) items for R1 and charging R200 for shipping.

qball    10
qball

Send me the seller's details and item ID to look into.

Unfortunately we cannot and will not regulate or standardise shipping - again, sounding like a stuck record here - there are too many scenarios, methods, options and other reasons why it would be difficult to put an exact policy in place. I don't think we will force seller's to combine shipping, although in some instances it does make sense and if there is a cost saving this should be passed onto the buyer, but again, we cannot force a seller to do this, as some items due to their size and nature cannot be combined, for example fragile item like antiques (as an example). Combining fees are commonly used on most auction sites, some are within reason, others not, so if you don't like what you see - no one forces you to bid... And report it to us to look into. Thanks.

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

Thanks Cuan. Mail sent for your attention. Luckily the choice to bid on these types of auction are at our own discression, and 99.9% of the time, we will not bid. Not only because of the postage costing, but mainly because we do not agree with the sellers' methodes, and generating income from postage charges are illegal, by law.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Unfortunately we cannot and will not regulate or standardise shipping ... ... it would be difficult to put an exact policy in place.

A policy requiring traders to always complete the shipping section for all listings and to clearly identify the breakdown of their shipping charges will change things rather dramatically methinks - done once - the same breakdown can be used for each new listing by traders. A lead in time over a period of say six months (maybe 12) will allow traders to update relistings and all new listings should be required to have the shipping breakdown in place. Extra admin for the traders - but buyers will be able to see where unscrupulous traders are loading their prices (through shipping) and the ethical traders will score.

Something of this nature:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Per item shipping charge

[/TD]

[TD]Describe if necessary

[/TD]

[TD]<1kg

[/TD]

[TD]1kg-2kg

[/TD]

[TD]2kg+

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Basic shipping charge

Amount payable to SAPO/courier/Other agency

Note: this must be the amount actually paid to SAPO/courier/Other shipment agency for the shipping (receipts may be requested at BoB’s discretion/request)

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Insurance

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Envelope/wrapping/Box/carton/crate

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Padding (bubble wrap, paper, polysterene, etc.)

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Sellotape/Packing tape/

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Time taken to pack/parcel – staff time cost

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Brown paper and string

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Electricity for listening to music while packing

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Transport (Lear jet)

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Other (please describe)

[/TD]

[TD]Cigars

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TD]

[TD]Seychelles Holiday

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]When combining items, please describe combination costs as follows:

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Insurance

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Extra wrapping – not including that for first item

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Padding (bubble wrap, paper, polysterene, etc.)

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Time taken to pack/parcel – staff time cost

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Electricity for listening to music while packing

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Additional levy to avoid paying BoB success fees

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TD]

[TD]Dom Perignon

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TD]

[TD]Caviar

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]TOTALS

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

qball    10
qball

Unfortunately MsPlod, this will never work, primarily because many new sellers will not know this information, not only that to set a complex and multifaceted example like you propose here will be very difficult, considering all the issues one has to try include, it will never cater for every scenario or shipment method, shipping company, weight calculation (often the seller will not know this or be able to determine this), again to monitor this, to enforce this will be incredibly difficult. It's great in theory but won't work, there are too many variables to consider.

I think the issue here is the small number of sellers who do try to make money off shipping (the majority offer reasonable and fair shipping), we would rather deal with them on a case by case basis, rather than setting up some intricate shipping system, which will stop new sellers wanting to use the system and for us to monitor each and every seller who sets up these costs.

Thanks for the suggestion :smile1:, but from a practical point of view it won't work, it will deter new, honest sellers from using our system, it will be difficult to monitor and enforce and buyers should read the shipping, be happy with the costs and if they are not, they can report this to us. Seller's already complain about changes we make, this would be a huge change to the system and likely cause a revolt from all sellers, including the ethical one's.

voldermort    10
voldermort
Seller's already complain about changes we make, this would be a huge change to the system and likely cause a revolt from all sellers, including the ethical one's.

Lol - very, very true :bigsmile:

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
...I don't think we will force seller's to combine shipping, although in some instances it does make sense and if there is a cost saving this should be passed onto the buyer...

No – no-one can force traders to combine shipping, however it should definitely be BoB policy that this should be stated in the shipping description

...we cannot force a seller to do this, as some items due to their size and nature cannot be combined, for example fragile item like antiques (as an example)...

Agreed, some things can NOT be readily combined. However, little items such as beads, rings, gemstones, etc. should be able to be combined and those traders who do not allow it are “rukking the g@t” out of the story. Where valid drop-shipping traders claim that items shipped from overseas cannot be combined – it may be understandable – since sometimes items come from different suppliers.

Combining fees are commonly used on most auction sites, some are within reason, others not, so if you don't like what you see - no one forces you to bid... And report it to us to look into. Thanks.

Yup – no-one forces anyone else to buy – buyer beware. ALWAYS but ALWAYS read the item listings and shipping descriptions carefully – then if there is ANY doubt at all, make sure that you ASK THE SELLER A QUESTION before bidding.

wayjen    10
wayjen

If I salvage my boxes from the bins and my cellotape from old school books and charge R60 for a pair of earrings, am I over charging?

If I buy a box from Boxes for Africa and my colourful cellotape from Cellotape for Africa and charge R60 for a pair of earrings am I overcharging?

If the parcel is packed nicely do we overlook postage costs? How do we know we will get a parcel that is wrapped nicely if we a first time bidder? How do we know to report a person for inflating shipping costs when we don't know how the item will be wrapped at the end of the day?

We will keep going around and around in circles with regards postage costs and it is better to read listings and ask questions rather then bid on an item.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Unfortunately MsPlod, this will never work

I should hate to be the reason for any revolting sellers (LOL).

Might I suggest that the BoB Forum be brought into play by adding to each and every listing (i.e. encode it into the shipping tabs) the following...

Questions, information and more about shipping... Click here.

It is BoB's forum - why can't it be advertised a little more? Would the ethical traders would welcome it?

kyle2    10
kyle2
I should hate to be the reason for any revolting sellers (LOL).

Lee I think that there are many revolting sellers and you are not the cause thereof....LOL :bigsmile:

(yes, I misquoted, - for the mothergrundies out there)

geewhizz    20
geewhizz

imagesCAP1U83I.jpg.cc9f2c40a59134ce10240e23e164c0e5.jpgIf a seller gains R10 ,R30, R50 here and there on postage it never makes sense to me.

Users will either not buy from the seller or never buy again.

Small gain for loss of a customer.

Edited by geewhizz

voldermort    10
voldermort

As somebody said (not sure who, on another thread??) it is quite simple - if you come across any items you want from a seller & the seller stipulates no combining or says this in reply to a question (I am obviously referring here to items that very well could be combined) just send them a message via Q&A saying you are planning to bid on a few items they are selling but as they do not combine you would like everything sent & packaged separately. This would work just the same for a Buy Now. When you complete your order send them a reminder on the order that you are wanting everything packaged & sent separately. If they do not send items separately (remember items that could be combined ie: stamps, documents, stones etc etc ) then report them to BoB.

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3293[/ATTACH]If a seller gains R10 ,R30, R50 here and there on postage it never makes sense to me.

Very good point. The seller wont have a true reflection of his business.

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
A policy requiring traders to always complete the shipping section for all listings and to clearly identify the breakdown of their shipping charges will change things rather dramatically methinks - done once - the same breakdown can be used for each new listing by traders. A lead in time over a period of say six months (maybe 12) will allow traders to update relistings and all new listings should be required to have the shipping breakdown in place. Extra admin for the traders - but buyers will be able to see where unscrupulous traders are loading their prices (through shipping) and the ethical traders will score.

Something of this nature:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Per item shipping charge[/TD]

[TD]Describe if necessary[/TD]

[TD]<1kg[/TD]

[TD]1kg-2kg[/TD]

[TD]2kg+[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Basic shipping charge

Amount payable to SAPO/courier/Other agency

Note: this must be the amount actually paid to SAPO/courier/Other shipment agency for the shipping (receipts may be requested at BoB’s discretion/request)[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Insurance[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Envelope/wrapping/Box/carton/crate[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Padding (bubble wrap, paper, polysterene, etc.)[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Sellotape/Packing tape/[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Time taken to pack/parcel – staff time cost[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Brown paper and string[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Electricity for listening to music while packing[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Transport (Lear jet)[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Other (please describe)[/TD]

[TD]Cigars[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Seychelles Holiday[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]When combining items, please describe combination costs as follows:[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Insurance[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Extra wrapping – not including that for first item[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Padding (bubble wrap, paper, polysterene, etc.)[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Time taken to pack/parcel – staff time cost[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Electricity for listening to music while packing[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Additional levy to avoid paying BoB success fees[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dom Perignon[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Caviar[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]TOTALS[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Caviar, Dom Perignon, Seychelles. No skaapkop and chips for Detective Plod ! :noworry:

dstorm    10
dstorm
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3293[/ATTACH]If a seller gains R10 ,R30, R50 here and there on postage it never makes sense to me.

Well said.

(I actually subsidise my postage costs / charge less than my actual costs.

geewhizz    20
geewhizz
Well said.

(I actually subsidise my postage costs / charge less than my actual costs.

Everytime a user pays via credit card I am charged 5% on the sale and the postage. On R30 that is a mere R1.50 but it all adds up.

I stipulate that I do not take credit card payments for a sale under R150 but users continue to use the credit card option.Yesterday someone paid R12 on credit card.

I do not reverse the payment because the bank charges them.

One day I was in a bad mood and did reverse a payment and the user did not pay the order.

My problem has always been "I am too soft"

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

If a seller reverses a credit card payment the buyer is NOT charged by the bank - the transaction is "in limbo" until the seller accepts it or rejects it. (this is from experience)

I too have a policy in place for credit card payments only being accepted over R150 - this is due to the fact that my mark-up on all items is already so tiny and I flatly refuse to charge a combining fee, so once you've deducted all the charges and fees, sometimes I chew into my direct cost of the item if the lower amount is processed / accepted!

For the first three years of me selling on BoB, I did not change my shipping costs - I absorbed all the SAPO increases. I eventually had to increase it, but it went up by only R2. This year I have absorbed the increase again.

As for combining fees - I go through stacks (and I mean stacks) of packaging (just ask my buyers' how well their items are packed!), but I still refuse to charge to combine multiple items into a parcel. The only time I will ask for a little something extra is when the parcel falls into the next weight or size category as per the SAPO booklet.

To me it is only a pleasure to combine multiple items into the same parcel for a buyer - after all, the less you charge the more they buy!