Sign in to follow this  
amcintyre

Unhappy about postage - could we ask this?

amcintyre    10
amcintyre

There were some electric hot water bags for sale by a certain seller listed on this week's Crazy Wednesday. He had five listed and postage was R185 for all five - R45 for the first and R35 for each additional.

Could a person ask the seller to post each item separately and then offer to pay R45 for each one's postage instead of the seller scoring an additional R90-R100 profit from postage?

I've asked the seller a question, explaining this via the Q&A explaining that I am unhappy with him scoring so much off postage and would rather pay additional, knowing that we would only get what is due him :-D.

Edited by amcintyre

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

With respect, I think you asked a fair question of the seller. However, if there appears to be a blatant over-charging on postage you should report it to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za.

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels
There were some electric hot water bags for sale by a certain seller listed on this week's Crazy Wednesday. He had five listed and postage was R185 for all five - R45 for the first and R35 for each additional.

Could a person ask the seller to post each item separately and then offer to pay R45 for each one's postage instead of the seller scoring an additional R90-R100 profit from postage?

I've asked the seller a question, explaining this via the Q&A explaining that I am unhappy with him scoring so much off postage and would rather pay additional, knowing that we would only get what is due him :-D.

Tsk, tsk Tsk. Mine cost R45 each and I can combine up to 10 for R35! Not advertizing. Just saying............

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Asked the trader about this and they simply deleted my question, so asked them again...

Asked by MsPlod (913 rating4.gif)

Question

16 May 12:55

Update Question

Sorry - it appears that you deleted my question...

Please could you explain how do you calculate your shipping fee - specifically for combining items? It is illegal to profit from postage.

Guess they must be feeling a little grumpy!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Brown arms today, MsPlod? Well done!

amcintyre    10
amcintyre
Tsk, tsk Tsk. Mine cost R45 each and I can combine up to 10 for R35! Not advertizing. Just saying............

And I've just placed an order for three from you. Even with your speed services postage price it's cheaper than the other seller's ripoff price!

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Brown arms today, MsPlod? Well done!

Bar one brown, LilythePink, bar one brown...

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

This is now spreading beyond the R1 auctions.There are now more sellers I would not buy from.

mellowred    10
mellowred

When setting up shipping rates you are asked to fill in the charge + charge per additional item, so these two bits of information are separated from all the additional terms and conditions and can be easily placed, by BoB, on the listing page.

These charges should appear on the listing near the item price with a large, bold note to "Check shipping & payment for details". Perhaps a short, say 15 character, note can be added under the charges block for things like "For 1st kg only".

This shipping rip off is to no one's benefit. BoB lose listing fees on the postage profits as well as ending up with a lot of SNCs once the buyers realise what they have to pay; Legit sellers lose sales because buyers don't read and only see R1 which is a lot "cheaper" than Miems' R45; Legit buyers (who don't read) lose because they end up with bad ratings and most likely never return to BoB.

mellowred    10
mellowred

I can't agree with MsPlod's (sorry me dahlin :smile:) suggestion that details of shipping costs should be reflected to justify the charges. I work in ± R5 to R10 on post office costs by rounding up to the next R5 or R10. This is just for my time, and materials that I have to buy. I don't calculate these costs, all I know is I pay ± R10 for a roll of tape and ±11 for a kg of white newspaper sheets, so R5 to R10 more than covers the cost. Bubble wrap, polystyrene blocks and newspapers for protecting the delicate things are mostly recycled and/or "handcrafted" :nuts:.

I see no need to "justify" this because an average person will naturally understand this.

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL

I bought items the other day...postage R80 and R40 for every additional item. postage like R200 for stuff that weighed 500g max.

Not even a option for snail mail, Im poor man!:oh:

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
I can't agree with MsPlod's (sorry me dahlin :smile:) suggestion that details of shipping costs should be reflected to justify the charges. I work in ± R5 to R10 on post office costs by rounding up to the next R5 or R10. This is just for my time, and materials that I have to buy. I don't calculate these costs, all I know is I pay ± R10 for a roll of tape and ±11 for a kg of white newspaper sheets, so R5 to R10 more than covers the cost. Bubble wrap, polystyrene blocks and newspapers for protecting the delicate things are mostly recycled and/or "handcrafted" :nuts:.

I see no need to "justify" this because an average person will naturally understand this.

Always considered meself to be average LOL!

Completely understand the rounding up to nearest R5 or R10. My post was a rant (I had fun compiling the table - you should have seen the things I left out...), calculated to show the kinds of things traders SHOULD consider when calculating shipping.

If someone chooses to charge R100 for shipping using SAPO (unregistered and uninsured - with no special packaging or other enhancements) then they should simply be made aware that this is in fact illegal.

Profit is not derived from the odd few bucks here and there added to pay for the brown paper, string and padding, profit is derived from overcharging hideously for shipping - where no reason for that charge exists.

For example, charging R5 for throwing a piece of blue coloured stone-chip into an envelope with other "combined" blue stone-chips...

mellowred    10
mellowred

Ha, now I have always considered you above average :bigsmile:.

Jongleur    10
Jongleur

Completely understand the rounding up to nearest R5 or R10. My post was a rant (I had fun compiling the table - you should have seen the things I left out...), calculated to show the kinds of things traders SHOULD consider when calculating shipping.

If someone chooses to charge R100 for shipping using SAPO (unregistered and uninsured - with no special packaging or other enhancements) then they should simply be made aware that this is in fact illegal.

Profit is not derived from the odd few bucks here and there added to pay for the brown paper, string and padding, profit is derived from overcharging hideously for shipping - where no reason for that charge exists.

For example, charging R5 for throwing a piece of blue coloured stone-chip into an envelope with other "combined" blue stone-chips...

Hi Ms Plod

I have just bought an item from a local store for marginally higher than I would have

paid on Bob. Until it comes to the shipping. I would have got slaughtered if I had

bought on Bob.

How many buyers don`t check shipping, buy the item and then get a nasty shock

at checkout. I agree that shipping costs must be next to the bid button as Mellow

suggests. Or at least try it and see how it works.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
When setting up shipping rates you are asked to fill in the charge + charge per additional item, so these two bits of information are separated from all the additional terms and conditions and can be easily placed, by BoB, on the listing page.

These charges should appear on the listing near the item price with a large, bold note to "Check shipping & payment for details". Perhaps a short, say 15 character, note can be added under the charges block for things like "For 1st kg only".

This shipping rip off is to no one's benefit. BoB lose listing fees on the postage profits as well as ending up with a lot of SNCs once the buyers realise what they have to pay; Legit sellers lose sales because buyers don't read and only see R1 which is a lot "cheaper" than Miems' R45; Legit buyers (who don't read) lose because they end up with bad ratings and most likely never return to BoB.

Three cheers! Especially like the idea of the shipping (and/or combining) charges showing on the listing.

What about shipping (and/or combining) charges also showing at the point where one is required to "confirm your bid"?