Sign in to follow this  
babyface2

bREAK IN EARLY HOURs OF THE MORNING

babyface2

broke into office at 3.30 this morning, thank goodneSs my aunt and son woke up so they were diSturbed, only got away with my computor monitor and left my SonS guitar in the drive way. the police whom is 5 houSeS away from us took about 15 minuteS to get here, they did not look around the property and were also not interested to have finger prints taken:surprised:, but i am sure to gear them up today to do this, problem iS the thieves now know what iS in the office and is sure to return. think i will Sleep during the day and Stand guard at night:mad:

it iS terrible to have to feel Scared all the time now, alSo have to uSe hubby'S computor, thank goodneSS they did not get away with much.

Cali Craft and Gems

We were just talking about 'feeling scared' last night - with being out of the city, we are so more relaxed! Our doors are always unlocked, the side gates are wide open (day and night), and the front security gate only gets closed and locked just before we head off to bed (around midnight).

Even in PE one had to make sure all gates and doors were securely locked all the time, you had to drive around with doors locked, etc. Here we leave the laptop or my purse and cellphone on the passenger seat in broad daylight in town whilst I dash into the post office, etc knowing that it will still be there when I get back.

It took a bit of getting used to being more "relaxed" about it as you always think the worst of people, but it is a good feeling to be able to trust those around you. Granted there are still some undesirables right in town that walk past the shop, but that is just a handful compared to the majority.

As we told hubby's sister over the weekend - get out of Gauteng - your life depends on it! She'd been referring to the second hijacking incident that was in the papers yesterday (porsche) - started where she works and ended up near her home. Some people just can't grasp that a high income (and the standard of living that goes with it) simply is not everything! Here we live simple, in a modest home (that needs work), with a low income (and major expenses until the PE house is sold), and we're happy and stress free!

And at babyface - at least you're "untouched" - even in the simplest break-in's things can go horribly wrong!

lilythepink

Sorry to hear about this babyface. It is the insecurity one feels after an incident like this that makes life difficult. But, as Cali says, thank heavens you weren't physically assaulted or worse. Imagine what could have happened. Perhaps you should install beams across your garden so the alarm will go off if anyone enters your property?

babyface2
Sorry to hear about this babyface. It is the insecurity one feels after an incident like this that makes life difficult. But, as Cali says, thank heavens you weren't physically assaulted or worse. Imagine what could have happened. Perhaps you should install beams across your garden so the alarm will go off if anyone enters your property?

Yes Lily we are greatfull that we were not harmed, at least i managed to get another monitor from my oldest son. the only problem is we are scared that these people (can we call them that) is sure to come back. going by my emails received the last one came through at 2.58 and when i downloaded now the one after that was at 3.10 and we woke up shortly after that, so we interrupted them. there is still other computors and electronic equipment plus all my bob stock, how do you go to bed and not worry.

Cali Craft and Gems

Get the beams / sensors, but instead of an alarm going off, it must "play" a recording of a vicious Rotweiller - that is bound to give anyone a fright.

Alternatively, get some rubber snakes and put a sign on your gate "beware - snakes on property" and make sure that at least one is visible in the dark! :)

Cali Craft and Gems

This is what you need:

mat.jpg.748b9cd315bf6a6c989dac8990aeaf0f.jpg

MsPlod

Very sorry to hear about this - horrible sense of violation that goes with a break-in. Glad not too much lost and that you are all fine!

If you don't already have a dog, consider getting one. Our two dogs are just BRILLIANT watch dogs. So much so that anyone wanting to so much as peep over the wall of our property gets a "guard dog's welcome".

Once our dogs know someone - they are pure love dogs, but anyone who has not been "introduced" is considered the enemy (although they have never attacked anyone but will corner people). Interestingly our ex-charlady (thankfully "ex") who worked for us for many years, was always given their "enemy approaching" barking at - rather than a "friend approaching welcome" from our dogs - we now know why - if only we had listened to the dogs advice years back. We could not understand why the dogs could not get "used" to her when all other friends and employees were/are greeted with howls of delight and joy. Clearly they could see her heart.

It is really worth getting an alarm in your office (and home) - preferably one which links directly to both your bedroom as well as to a local security company before any would-be intruders actually gain entrance. Relatively simple to install, you can rest easy knowing that you will be alerted before anyone is in your space.

daisyjewel

Sorry to hear about the break-in. We installed those external beams in our garden. So no one can even enter the garden without a very loud alarm going off. It has worked to scare a few intruders off and gives you the peace of mind that if anyone is on your property you will know all about it! Most security companies would offer that option or your can self-install too.

lilythepink

Not knowing how or where your office is situated on your property, as a temporary measure you could consider setting up a thick chain across the door with loud bells on either side which will ring as soon as someone tries to pull on the chain! But I definitely think that the sooner you can get the beams installed, the better.

Thinking of you and hope that your family hasn't been too traumatised.

kyle2

It is really terrible having ones space violated like that, like everone said, it could have been worse.

Funny quote from a movie "Natioanal Treasure 2", Nicholas Cage's character and his side kick were breaking into a house, the side kick takes 1 minute or so to bypass the sophisticated alarm, and says " If you want real security, get a Dog!", I gues its not so easy to bypass a dog...LoL..:cheesy:

babyface2
Very sorry to hear about this - horrible sense of violation that goes with a break-in. Glad not too much lost and that you are all fine!

If you don't already have a dog, consider getting one. Our two dogs are just BRILLIANT watch dogs. So much so that anyone wanting to so much as peep over the wall of our property gets a "guard dog's welcome".

Once our dogs know someone - they are pure love dogs, but anyone who has not been "introduced" is considered the enemy (although they have never attacked anyone but will corner people). Interestingly our ex-charlady (thankfully "ex") who worked for us for many years, was always given their "enemy approaching" barking at - rather than a "friend approaching welcome" from our dogs - we now know why - if only we had listened to the dogs advice years back. We could not understand why the dogs could not get "used" to her when all other friends and employees were/are greeted with howls of delight and joy. Clearly they could see her heart.

It is really worth getting an alarm in your office (and home) - preferably one which links directly to both your bedroom as well as to a local security company before any would-be intruders actually gain entrance. Relatively simple to install, you can rest easy knowing that you will be alerted before anyone is in your space.

We have four dogs, two still pups though, unfortunately my big dog had to be put down about two weeks ago. we also have workers in out all day. the dogs did bark but i think the mommy will only really carry on if i am threatened. also our property is huge and right next to the highway so you do not always hear the dogs with all the trucks going past, thanks for advise

wayjen

Sorry to hear bf2 and glad no one was harmed. Be on the look out for suspicious behaviour from today onwards.

circe

hi

if u can, get insurance on everything because they will be back. upgrade your alarm systems,and maybe get one of the alarm padlocks on the door. maybe get a cctv set on there that can record, if u can get a pic of the robber then u can at least give it to the police to look out for.

i hope this helps.

frikkie

babyface2
Sorry to hear bf2 and glad no one was harmed. Be on the look out for suspicious behaviour from today onwards.

i will wayne, problem is i inherited this house about six months ago from a true garden lover on the wild side so it is like a forest, goes down from top to bottom in terraces so it is quite difficult to keep an eye, we will have to cut back lots of beautiful tropical plants.:disgusted:

Cali Craft and Gems

Plants will regrow once hacked - you won't!!! Your safety (and that of your family) should take priority!

MsPlod
Plants will regrow once hacked - you won't!!! Your safety (and that of your family) should take priority!

Agreed!!! Plants grow fast in PMBurg - it is worth your family's safety.

circe

i forget to add that u must go in with a camera and take pics of everything there and date stamp the pics. if the insurance is full of noncence, then u have photos to show them.