Sign in to follow this  
WRANGLER_4X4

Brass or Gold candle stick holder maybe 1820 van Riebeck?pic

WRANGLER_4X4    10
WRANGLER_4X4

Hello all, I obtained this brass or gold, not sure what metal it is candle stick holder this afternnon, but I have no idea what it is, the guy who gave it to me, said that it is from Jan van Riebeck sail boat, it has the following info on it.

On the bottom, it says

CHRISTOFLE

Also stamped

third number cannot make out.

It then has this picture engraved into it, consisting of;

hirses head, three castles with bricks, piece of rope, anchor, the horse I think is in fact a unicorn, it has this horn sticking out of it's head.

On the bathroom scale it weighs 2kg.

Maybe somebody will be able to shed some light about it and what the value of such a thing is.

Thankyou

3276952844_93b32b9a13.jpg?v=0

paarlbooks    10
paarlbooks

Van Riebeeck

In your topic you mentioned 1820 together with Van Riebeeck. That does'nt match. Van Riebeeck was not around in 1820; well from 1652-1662. He died a few years later. 1820 was when the British Settlers set foot on this land, but no Van Riebeeck was amongst them!

Did you figure out the origin of the item in the meantime?

Regards

Johann

WRANGLER_4X4    10
WRANGLER_4X4

CANDLE STICK

Hi, thank's for the input, all that I can find out is that it was made by CHRISTOFLE, O have been searching the web for a few days now and have found no more info, I am really baffled about it, last Friday I did show it to a friend down in east London who has been an antique dealer and collector for many many years, he said that it is the first time he has seen such an item, he did mention due to the weight factor that it must have been used on a ship and that maybe the unicorn, anchor crest could be the key to finding out more about it, however I have searched and searched and found nothing more, I will take a better pic of the crest and post it here as well.

Thank's

paarlbooks    10
paarlbooks

candle stick

Could you please send me a picture of it?

Regards

Johann