Sign in to follow this  
JohnBenn

Mandela 2008 stamps

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Hi

Am I right when I assume that the Mandela 90th Birthday stamps used ,will be worth more than the mint mini sheets in five or ten years time?

I recently bought 21 mint mini sheets (well 20,I got 1 free),and thus far I've only been able to find 1 on a cover/letter.

Any thoughts

Thanks

voldermort    10
voldermort

Now the funny thing is that it is way harder to find used SA stamps than it is mint, which would lead you to believe that they should be worth more but the majority of SA buyers want mint stamps & not used - so if it were me, I would go for the mint sheets for reselling.

As always, all just my own opinion.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

That is true.

But have you noticed that in other countries,some used stamps will fetch much more than those mint?Simply because they were too expensive at the time.

So I think this might turn out to be the same,the reason now would be that people are holding on to the mint stamps.

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello all

I totally agree with all of the above.

I am yet to see a complete fine used (not CTO) RSA or Homelands collection.

These (if they exist) must be rare.

Yet, when it comes to reselling, the used collections will attract very little commercial interest.

About a year or two ago I had a RSA 3rd Definitive 3c with a major perforation shift – commercially used. In my opinion it was one of the scarcest items that I have ever handled. It attracted very little interest on the BoB auction and went far below than what I expected.

Such is the mystery of the South African stamp market.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

voldermort    10
voldermort

I think what it is, is that a lot of people hold onto their mint items & if in the years to come the used stamps go up in price - well you do know that since 1961 any stamp (as long as the value is correct) can be used for postage. Obviously this would not be correctly used but a lot of people don't know how to separate a real postally used stamp from a CTO & thus imagine they can just change it from mint to cancelled if need be :sneaky:

alloway65    10
alloway65

I have a bundle of locally used envelopes with the Standard Postage Mandela Birthday Stamp commercially franked...the stamp being removed from the miniature sheet....not worth the paper they are printed on I would imagine.

I think the Mandela Birthday Stamp Issue was a waste of time from the speculators (me) point of view....I must have hundreds of the miniature sheets etc.

voldermort    10
voldermort

I will probably have a lot of people not agreeing with this but personally I would not spend too much money on anything Mandela as an investment simply because in a few years from now they will be worth next to nothing. Yes, at the moment anything & everything Mandela is huge - stamps, medals, books etc etc etc & yet in just a few years people will be offering these for free. The same thing happened with Gandhi, Charles & Diana wedding - SG 1981 listed sets for over 100GBP, (& just remember how much 100GBP was 30 years ago) today they are listing them for 1GBP :wtf: Right now it is the time to sell these items, not to buy them.

Best when spending a lot of money on collecting anything (& not just stamps) to know exactly what to spend it on otherwise it really is just money wasted.

Again all just my own opinion as always.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Alloway you can send the used ones to me:blink1:.

I've also noticed that it's more "trendy" for collectors abroad to collect used stamp,as long as they are well centered and the cancellation clear (especially if the cancellations are SOTN).

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Voldermort the trick is to know when to sell.I know when I'll be able to make a profit on these (unfortunately I can't share that info:blink1:).

voldermort    10
voldermort
Voldermort the trick is to know when to sell.I know when I'll be able to make a profit on these (unfortunately I can't share that info:blink1:).

As long as you know in time you will have somebody willing to buy, that is great :blink1:

alloway65    10
alloway65

No problem, you can just pay for the postage......am I allowed to give items away for free on BoB? PM me you address.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Hi Alloway yes I don't think that is allowed,but thank you anyway.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

No problem, you can just pay for the postage......am I allowed to give items away for free on BoB? PM me you address.

You can just charge R1.00 plus postage. (No, we're not supposed to give freebies away on BoB cause they lose on the commission!) :evil:

alloway65    10
alloway65
You can just charge R1.00 plus postage. (No, we're not supposed to give freebies away on BoB cause they lose on the commission!) :evil:

I was thinking the same....will do it tomorrow........I have so much philatelic material I have to get rid of it somehow.

Happy Mothers Day to all Mums.....we have four Mum's for lunch today with their respective families.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Sounds like a plan,please let me know.Thank you

alloway65    10
alloway65
Sounds like a plan,please let me know.Thank you

I will revert once I have loaded onto BoB, we have been very busy with our Medical Supply business and I am still trying to shake off the flu.

I must have about 30 items so I will load each one separately and no combining of course...as is normal with some BoB sellers!!!! Only Joking!

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

haha. Even have time to joke through the flu.No problem.I guess I'm lucky I've been through it already.Hope you get well soon.

alloway65    10
alloway65

I have listed the envelops for you John.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Thank you alloway I placed my bid:smile:

alloway65    10
alloway65
Thank you alloway I placed my bid:smile:

I have closed the auction for you....is R1 500.00 for express shipping fair....I think so!!!!!!

Rose has new jogging shoes and is ready to go once we have your address.

As a bonus I have personally signed each envelope...at no extra charge.

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
I have closed the auction for you....is R1 500.00 for express shipping fair....I think so!!!!!!

Rose has new jogging shoes and is ready to go once we have your address.

As a bonus I have personally signed each envelope...at no extra charge.

What a great transaction. Dont forget to rate each other on the whole experience.

alloway65    10
alloway65
What a great transaction. Dont forget to rate each other on the whole experience.

I am giving the rating some deep deep thought.

I hope JB does not want to make progress payments as I have ordered my new BM 7 Series based on this order!

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
I am giving the rating some deep deep thought.

I hope JB does not want to make progress payments as I have ordered my new BM 7 Series based on this order!

Thought provoking.

JB seems a solid sort. You should receive payment by carrier pigeon within the hour.

Nice touch that personal signature. Should stand you in good stead in future. Maybe

you would like to dabble in art ? Great prospects.

BM 7 series ? Why not Mercedes Benz ? Lekker cars.

alloway65    10
alloway65

Thank you for reassuring me...I have not heard from JB maybe he is applying for a bank loan!

I will sign some FDC's and load them on BoB!

I have never had a Mercedes I have always been a BM person.

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
Thank you for reassuring me...I have not heard from JB maybe he is applying for a bank loan!

I will sign some FDC's and load them on BoB!

I have never had a Mercedes I have always been a BM person.

Maybe the `flu pounced on him again.

Sign away, Alloway, ( excellent sales pitch - who can resist).

Cars - to each their own. I have never had a BM. Driven MB for

many years. But at soon to be R1000 per liter of fuel who knows

what we will be driving. We can park our cars in the driveway

as ornaments or features from yesteryear.