Sign in to follow this  
Not1CentMore

Texting While Driving

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

This is absolutely ridiculous. The woman couldn't know that the idiot would read a text message while driving? But, I guess, you're living in the USA, Ruthie.

Talking on the cellphone whilst driving is a serious problem here in SA. Travel our highways and byways, and indeed around Grahamstown (I counted 5 drivers talking on their cellphones while driving around town today) and people seem to be totally oblivious to the havoc they could be causing innocent people. :disgusted::shock:

mellowred    10
mellowred

Crikey Riley. I would love to see that case coming up before Judge Mathis :grin:.

Crazy stuff.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

How in the world is a text sender expected to know what a text receiver is doing when he / she hits the send button?

Does this mean, for example, if I am in the kitchen when the Postman rings the doorbell and, on the way to the door, I slip on a wet spot / corner of a rug / dust bunny and fall down and 'go boom', twisting my ankle or bruising my 'tush', I can sue USPS AND the Postman for my 'owie'? Or how about breaking a nail while using the laptop ruining my manicure? Look out HP, I'm dialing my attorney with my tongue.

Makes about as much sense.

Only in America....

Ruthie

kyle2    10
kyle2

American law is amazing, the only place in the world a thief can sue the victim for injuring himself in the house he is robbing. :blink1:

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore
The only place in the world a thief can sue the victim for injuring himself in the house he is robbing. :blink1:

Sad, but true in most States.

Thankfully, Tennessee has the Castle Doctrine (a person has no duty to retreat when their home is attacked)... including deadly force. The would-be 'bad guy' doesn't even have to make it inside. We have had several instances where a would-be 'scumbag' tried to or did gain access to a residence only to wake up (or not) in handcuffs, in an ambulance, at the hospital or on a slab in the morgue; no muss, no fuss, no bother... no charges against the homeowner. Police 'encourage' a warning shot, but with the price of ammo, in my home, the 'lead' that 'nails' the 'bad guy' IS the warning shot! We are 'locked and loaded', several times over, and every room is 'at the ready' day or night.

Ruthie

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

SA Police Service - hope you're reading Ruthie's post!

voldermort    10
voldermort
Sad, but true in most States.

Thankfully, Tennessee has the Castle Doctrine (a person has no duty to retreat when their home is attacked)... including deadly force. The would-be 'bad guy' doesn't even have to make it inside. We have had several instances where a would-be 'scumbag' tried to or did gain access to a residence only to wake up (or not) in handcuffs, in an ambulance, at the hospital or on a slab in the morgue; no muss, no fuss, no bother... no charges against the homeowner. Police 'encourage' a warning shot, but with the price of ammo, in my home, the 'lead' that 'nails' the 'bad guy' IS the warning shot! We are 'locked and loaded', several times over, and every room is 'at the ready' day or night.

Ruthie

Shew, this is absolutely horrific & perhaps the reason why Trayvon Martin was shot & killed. I do believe that George Zimmerman is also using this excuse for his act ie: he had the right to stand his ground & not retreat - amazing when you realise the child was actually just walking home from the shop when he was killed. Then too I remember when this law came into effect a guy in Dallas saw somebody breaking into his neighbour's house (which was empty at the time) he called 911 & the operator told him the police were on their way - this guy then said "nope, they will take too long, I will take care of this my way" the operator begged him, yip, literally begged him to leave it but because he was standing his ground (or at least his neighbour's empty ground) he went ahead & shot the guy dead. Yes, there are a lot of low life scumbags with nothing better than rape & murder on their mind but what about the person who actually is only looking for food or shelter, who lives in a gutter & is hungry & sees an empty house & perhaps decides to take his chance & see if there is food available or at least warmth for the night? For this he should be killed? Perhaps there should be laws put into effect where you are allowed to shoot & wound, or at least disable only & take away the trigger happy laws that are in effect at the moment.

Human life is precious, all human life, and just because we are all not equal in some things does not make that particular life any less precious.

wayjen    10
wayjen

There was a woman who phoned 911 because her ex and his friend (if I have the story correct), wanted to get in to kill her and she was protecting her baby. These guys were beating down her door and she was armed with a shotgun. She phoned 911 and the operator heard what was going on and told the woman to shoot them if they get in and by golly she did.

We should all be able to defend ourselves against attackers and intruders and not get punished for it like some people do.

voldermort    10
voldermort
There was a woman who phoned 911 because her ex and his friend (if I have the story correct), wanted to get in to kill her and she was protecting her baby. These guys were beating down her door and she was armed with a shotgun. She phoned 911 and the operator heard what was going on and told the woman to shoot them if they get in and by golly she did.

We should all be able to defend ourselves against attackers and intruders and not get punished for it like some people do.

Yes, I agree, if you are in danger do whatever you need to do in order to save yourself but Ruthie is talking about using DEADLY force (e.g. shoot to kill, not wound etc) to protect PROPERTY (i.e. not your life/family life) against a PERCEIVED threat (i.e. not against an imminent threat to your life).

wayjen    10
wayjen

if I am in my house on my property behind a locked gate and a locked door behind a boundry wall and Joe Soap comes over and enters my house, he ain't there to have tea with me and I ain't waiting to find out if he has a gun or knife on him.

voldermort    10
voldermort
if I am in my house on my property behind a locked gate and a locked door behind a boundry wall and Joe Soap comes over and enters my house, he ain't there to have tea with me and I ain't waiting to find out if he has a gun or knife on him.

I think you need to look at it this way....you are in your house behind your locked door & you see somebody fiddling with your front gate, you then have the right to pull out your gun & shoot that person dead and then say that you saw him as a perceived threat - ie: you were standing your ground. And it means nothing at all that the poor person at your front gate may very well have bn Jack Smith from BoB coming unexpectedly to collect an item he bought from you.

Or if you have someone who is trying to break into your house so you shoot him. . . , not in the knee to wound him but in the head because you INTENDED to make him dead & ammo is costly. You don't know he wants to get in to harm YOU, and i understand that if you don't know guns then hell the bullet goes where it goes, but you can't honestly tell me that it is OK to intend to shoot a man in the head and kill him before you even know that he is a threat to your safety, that you couldn't phone the police, run out and to safety, shoot a warning to scare him away, shoot to scare him away, or if all else fails then shoot to wound him (assuming you know how to shoot). That is not defence, that is pure & simple crude, primitive vigilantism.

wayjen    10
wayjen

let them prove which of my 2 shots was the warning shot and the fatal shot, in South Africa they would walk all over the crime scene thereby contaminating it and forget to take statements.

voldermort    10
voldermort
let them prove which of my 2 shots was the warning shot and the fatal shot, in South Africa they would walk all over the crime scene thereby contaminating it and forget to take statements.

No sorry Wayne, but once again human life is precious & not for you or anybody else to choose to snuff out on a whim - if your life is in danger do whatever you need to do to save yourself/your loved ones but shooting to kill a human being who may just be coming to beg, and shooting to kill them not because they are a threat to your life but because you are protecting a THING (a house, car, whatever) is shockingly disgusting.....and to kill them dead because ammo is costly and you do not want to waste money on extra bullets......Heaven help us all.

wayjen    10
wayjen

A guy climbing over my wall breaking into my house is not there to beg for food.

voldermort    10
voldermort
A guy climbing over my wall breaking into my house is not there to beg for food.

If you see him climbing over your wall he cannot at the same time be breaking into your house, you cannot then fire a warning shot at him,tell him to voertsek, phone the police, no, the way to go is shoot that scumbag dead.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore
Shew, this is absolutely horrific & perhaps the reason why Trayvon Martin was shot & killed. I do believe that George Zimmerman is also using this excuse for his act ie: he had the right to stand his ground & not retreat - amazing when you realise the child was actually just walking home from the shop when he was killed. Then too I remember when this law came into effect a guy in Dallas saw somebody breaking into his neighbour's house (which was empty at the time) he called 911 & the operator told him the police were on their way - this guy then said "nope, they will take too long, I will take care of this my way" the operator begged him, yip, literally begged him to leave it but because he was standing his ground (or at least his neighbour's empty ground) he went ahead & shot the guy dead. Yes, there are a lot of low life scumbags with nothing better than rape & murder on their mind but what about the person who actually is only looking for food or shelter, who lives in a gutter & is hungry & sees an empty house & perhaps decides to take his chance & see if there is food available or at least warmth for the night? For this he should be killed? Perhaps there should be laws put into effect where you are allowed to shoot & wound, or at least disable only & take away the trigger happy laws that are in effect at the moment.

Human life is precious, all human life, and just because we are all not equal in some things does not make that particular life any less precious.

Unfortunately, there are always going to be that ONE person who 'bends' the law to suit his / her own agenda. When that person decides to 'play' outside the law, that person 'doesn't have a leg to stand on' and should be / is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. (We can agree to disagee on the Trayvon / Zimmerman case. Methinks it is not as 'cut and dried' as the 'lefty' media would like everyone to believe.)

I am not going to invite the intruder into my home for a cup of coffee and a danish and 'discuss' his 'intent'; shelter and food, robbery or rape and murder.

I have the greatest empathy for the person who is homeless and / or hungry, but not to the point where that person has the 'right' to enter my home, uninvited, in the middle of the day or in the dead of night for food and shelter... that is why most communities have food banks / homeless shelters and such, supported by various organizations and churches. Here, most of those who are homeless / hungry would not be 'without' if they would put the booze and drugs behind them and get on about the business of being a 'productive' member of society.

Yes, all life is precious... and that includes my son's and mine. If put in the position where it is the 'scumbag' or us, I will not hesitate to protect our life.... even if the 'force' to do so is 'deadly'. (Not the person who is walking through the yard; trespassing - call 911, but trying to get inside or is inside our home.)

Ruthie

Edited by Not1CentMore

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

If you have good water pressure, just turn the hosepipe (or even a steam cleaner!) full blast onto an intruder. That will have him running back the way he came before he even gets inside your house!

wayjen    10
wayjen

My hosepipe has holes in it and my steam cleaner does not steam anymore, I am done for.

kyle2    10
kyle2

I have a large collection of oriental weapons, swords etc. will have to chase them out the yard with a samurai sword, failing which I will have to resort to a lightsaber, they look quite ominous when activated and make all the sounds you hear in the movies, amazing to look at at night.

Or I could just throw verbal abuse at them..........................181.gif

voldermort    10
voldermort
If you have good water pressure, just turn the hosepipe (or even a steam cleaner!) full blast onto an intruder. That will have him running back the way he came before he even gets inside your house!

Great idea & that is the reason why I said scream at them to voertsek, most of them are befuddled souls who most of the time don't even know what they are doing & a huge scream will have them flying down the street, many times I have stopped at the robots & had some very persistent people begging at my window, if I don't choose to be generous that day I will tell them nicely no - if they carry on I just have to look straight at them, change my tone of voice, raise it an octave higher, tell them if they don't get moving I will **** them up, place my hand on the door handle as if I am about to jump out the car & really do what I just said, and I can promise you before I am halfway through all that they are gone, this is true, & has happened many times over the years, not just in the car but we have also had our share of break-ins here where we live & on every single occasion a vehement scream at them by either Dimitri or I will have them skeedaddling down the road - but then again maybe we just don't have that whole aggro "I woke up on the killing side of the bed today" streak in us.

Edited by voldermort

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
My hosepipe has holes in it and my steam cleaner does not steam anymore, I am done for.

Well, invest in a can of "Doom" or similar and make sure you aim it full blast into their face! I've never had to resort to such action myself (we do live in a relatively crime-free area, I suppose, and have armed response installed) but I hear it blinds them and burns quite badly. You will (hopefully) then have a marked criminal who can be tracked at the nearest hospital by the SAPS once they deign to arrive there!

I imagine some really vivid (red or blue or green?) spray paint could also be useful when sprayed in a prospective burglar's face? That's if one doesn't have one of kyle2's swords available.

svw    10
svw

I still swear by our three Rhodesian Ridgebacks they have their beds in our bedroom but are free to roam the house day or night - we don't have an alarm company but have beams in the most vunerable sides of the house and window alarms and the dogs know when they hear the alarm go off they react - guys tried breaking into the office a few months back to be rudely taken on by the pack - enough said!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Our labrador and miniature maltese also sleep inside. Their barks are worse than their bites unfortunately - I think once people are inside the house they would just be jumped upon and licked and licked! But their barks do alert us if anyone comes near the house so we're grateful for that.

The Beak barks his head off (even when covered over in his "inside" cage) whenever the dogs bark so it is quite a cacophony in the early hours of the morning!

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
Our labrador and miniature maltese also sleep inside. Their barks are worse than their bites unfortunately - I think once people are inside the house they would just be jumped upon and licked and licked! But their barks do alert us if anyone comes near the house so we're grateful for that.

The Beak barks his head off (even when covered over in his "inside" cage) whenever the dogs bark so it is quite a cacophony in the early hours of the morning!

Hello Ma`am

My fearsome Schnauzer is scared of moths ! And yet he happily insults our neighbors Rottweiler

at every opportunity. The Rotty paces up and down behind an 8 foot wall silently cursing this little

infidel that shows no respect. And the most beautiful dog - black and shiny. He allows me to give

him attention through the gate but don`t try and enter his yard alone. Only a demented burglar

will take the risk of attempting a break-in.

How is your Cockatoo coming along ?