Sign in to follow this  
mellowred

Help from hardware fundis please. What is this computer worth?

mellowred    10
mellowred

Hi all,

One of my clients is selling his PC and I'm interested in buying it. BUT, I am very dumb when it comes to the hardware jargon, and know zip with regards to 2nd hand PC prices. I work on the PC regularly and know it needs a good clean up to make it faster, but it would serve it's purpose.

Microsoft Windows XP HE 2002

CELERON® D CPU 3.20GHZ 3.19 GHZ 760 MB OF RAM

It comes with a standard flat screen monitor.

Any thumb suck figures as to what I should offer him?

Thanks

Mandy

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

The MB RAM 760 very small memory. Not even 1 GIG.

mellowred    10
mellowred

That is what I thought, and with all the gumph it is really slow to respond. He is thinking R2,000 ... I have R500 in mind :nuts:

RAG Auctioneers    10
RAG Auctioneers

R2000 is wayyyyy too much for that computer - not more than R500. (Edit: Maybe R600 or R700 if you really want to get it)

A heads up: We will have some DELL desktops on our next RAG Auction (22 May). I am sure there are going to be some bargains.

Edited by RAG Auctioneers

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Agreed regarding about R500-750 tops - with the upper price being only if the flat screen is in excellent condition.

Entry level RAM is 4GB nowadays, XP HE is a pain in the nethers. You may end up spending more fixing it up than buying a brand new tower.

mrmouse    11
mrmouse

wait for a Dell .

mrmouse    11
mrmouse

if you do buy a Dell make sure the cd/dvd drive is a full size unit and not the slimline unit , the optiplex range is a good office machine depending on cpu, ram, and hard drive size , very quite machines .for office use the 3.0 gig cpu , 2 gig ram , and at least a 160gig harddrive is a good combination , except you wont play games or do any graphics intensive work on it .most of the Dells are not designed to be upgraded so dont think along that route , they are designed for very specific office use .

mellowred    10
mellowred

Thanks a million all for the input, I have a better idea now of what to offer.

To Rag, I'd love a Dell, but the only reason I am even considering this one is because I can exchange the PC for services (bookkeeping!! that is before V and Wayne jump on board :colbert:).

He is taking the PC to an auctioneer tomorrow and is convinced he will easily get R2,000 so I'll make him an offer to put a reserve of R600 on it. It is not well cared for so the tower looks a bit grotty too. Maybe lucky maybe not.

voldermort    10
voldermort
To Rag, I'd love a Dell, but the only reason I am even considering this one is because I can exchange the PC for services (bookkeeping!! that is before V and Wayne jump on board :colbert:).

Ooohhh does Hennie know :shock: :noworry:

mellowred    10
mellowred
Ooohhh does Hennie know :shock: :noworry:

Yes he does and he's all for it ... :blush:

wayjen    10
wayjen

Someone call?

RISadler    10
RISadler
It comes with a standard flat screen monitor.

Tell him you'll buy the screen (after checking for dead pixels) for R400 if he throws in the computer as an extra.

The processor is immaterial ... it's what the sucker's attached to that counts.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I agree with RIS. I wouldn't pay more than R400 for the whole lot, mellow!

RAG Auctioneers    10
RAG Auctioneers
if you do buy a Dell make sure the cd/dvd drive is a full size unit and not the slimline unit , the optiplex range is a good office machine depending on cpu, ram, and hard drive size , very quite machines .for office use the 3.0 gig cpu , 2 gig ram , and at least a 160gig harddrive is a good combination , except you wont play games or do any graphics intensive work on it .most of the Dells are not designed to be upgraded so dont think along that route , they are designed for very specific office use .

I think they are Optiplex DELLs.

Still have to check them out.