Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

Kittens on auction

oaks and acorns    10
oaks and acorns
Cats - SIAMESE KITTENS ( PUREBRED ) for sale in East London (ID:64365713)

Looks like someone needs to get off the catnip - listing is against the rules! :)

What's worse is I know the bloke, and he should know better.

~wanders off to go tell him so~

Edited by oaks and acorns
he didn't know and now he does, can't get to the 'puter right away though

admin    0
admin
Last edited by oaks and acorns; Today at 18:25. Reason: he didn't know and now he does, can't get to the 'puter right away though

Closed it for him and politely let him know he can't do that :amuse:

mellowred    10
mellowred

To be honest, I still do not really understand this Law. Why is it legal to do "Buy Now's" but not Auction sentient beings? And I also don't understand why selling via the Internet is considered less acceptable than via other methods? In both cases you will have the money making breeder and the genuine caring breeder who vets the prospective buyers.

Jan (Ms Lil) maybe you can enlighten me on this one. I know you are totally opposed to selling animals on the Internet. I never have, and never will, buy an animal from anywhere other than Animal Welfare, but each time this topic comes up I wonder about it.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

There is little difference between an auction and a "buy now" on a general internet site when it comes to selling live animals to someone whom one cannot "vet" beforehand. It is totally different when a registered, above-board breeder has his/her own web page and can communicate with potential buyers and, as most ethical sellers do, get a responsible person to go and check out the potential buyer and his/her home before any sale is concluded. On a general internet site, where no contact details are permitted prior to the transaction being concluded, those live animals could end up in a despicable situation. Many people buy kittens, puppies and other adorable pets on a "whim" without taking into account all the veterinary and other costs. They don't realise the house-training, cleaning, grooming and that they are taking on a 15 to 20 year responsibility for that animal. Once educated by an ethical breeder these people often decide against the purchase/acquisition when they realise all the implications.

There is nothing worse than someone acquiring a kitten or a puppy because it is "so cute" and then finding it doesn't fit into their lifestyle for many years to come and that poor animal is then passed from pillar to post, often ending up in an animal shelter and, unless extremely fortunate, being euthanased along with thousands of others.

All these considerations (and more) make one realise that cruelty, which comes in many forms (even cruelty which is not deliberate!), does not need to happen if potential buyers of live animals are properly vetted beforehand.

mellowred    10
mellowred

Ok, the part about no contact details before the sale is concluded makes 100% sense to me now. So, so long as you have contact details and the opportunity to vet the buyer before the sale it is above board.

It is also vital to match a breed to an owner. As much as I'd love a huge, energetic, bouncy dog, it would have a miserable life with me as I do not have the energy to take it for walks and run around every day. So I'll stick with my feline babes for now.

Thanks Jan. Wouldn't it be nice for it to be illegal for non-registered breeders to advertise at all.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Non-registered breeders are known as "backyard breeders"! aka puppy/kitten mills! :cool:

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Seems like a nice enough bloke though - keeping kittens till 12 weeks, etc. I think that animals should only be allowed to be sold through the Classifieds personally - if at all on internet. Critical that breeders meet the potential owners before parting with an animal.

oaks and acorns    10
oaks and acorns
Closed it for him and politely let him know he can't do that :amuse:

Shot admin, and the next time you call to ask what someone's doing and they say 'catching cats'... best you believe it :wink: :laugh:

oaks and acorns    10
oaks and acorns
Seems like a nice enough bloke though - keeping kittens till 12 weeks, etc. I think that animals should only be allowed to be sold through the Classifieds personally - if at all on internet. Critical that breeders meet the potential owners before parting with an animal.

Yup, he's a nice enough bloke ... as far as them newly divorced fish fellows go -and don't think he took the time to think about this either, but when there's time will ask for details, maybe, if I remember. Ditto on the Classifieds and breeders meeting potential owners, reckon it's imperative!

(and darn, almost but not quite tempted to march down there and get one of those kitties, they are adorable!)

Edit:

Oh here we go, he does check the buyers out first to ensure they get a good home and only sells locally.

A: 08 May 07:51

HI THERE

THANKS 4 BRINGING TO MY ATTENTION.

WAS NOT AWARE OF THAT.

SAD AS I CHECK OUT BUYERS FIRST TO ENSURE THEY GET A GOOD HOME.

ONLY SELL TO PEOPLE IN EAST LONDON

HAVE REMOVED FROM BOB

UPDATED: 08 May 08:12

BOB HAS INFORMED THAT LIVE ANIMALS MAY ONLY BE SOLD AS A"BUY NOW" ITEM.

THANKS FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE AGAIN

HAVE RELISTED THEM THE CORRECT WAY

He's a kickass seller too and also a respected member of the East London business community, btw.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Yup, he's a nice enough bloke ... as far as them newly divorced fish fellows go - though don't think they're his kittens or that he actually breeds, and don't think he took the time to think about this either, but when there's time will ask for details, maybe, if I remember. Ditto on the Classifieds and breeders meeting potential owners, reckon it's imperative!

(and darn, almost but not quite tempted to march down there and get one of those kitties, they are adorable!)

LOL about the "newly divorced fish fellow" - hah hah hah!

The kittens are toooooo cute - my little kitty wants one to play with.

oaks and acorns    10
oaks and acorns

Yeah, and you know what they say... soort soek soort, they'd certainly have stuff to talk about and lament over :rolleyes:

(and as far as kitties go, I shall contend myself with loving the Spicelicious who's the grey version of your blackness)

mellowred    10
mellowred

The kittens are toooooo cute - my little kitty wants one to play with.

Yep I thought so too back in December.

Now when I have:

food demands,

warmth demands,

cuddle demands,

kiss demands,

screams from the back yard "save me, save me" when the neighbourhood bully pays a visit,

demands for chicken or mince with very indignant looks when the food comes out of a tin or sachet

filthy stares when the litter box is left outside and I dare to tell them "you have an open window - go through that",

help at the keyboard,

help at the sewing machine,

help washing up,

help showering,

help dressing,

help making the bed,

two Ten-Ton-Tessies sleeping on my chest all night,

fluff and fur to clear up every day,

dead "things" in the lounge

Yep I sit back and think ... I love every minute of it. :bigsmile:

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Those kittens are adorable - that is what drew my attention in the first place, and that's also why I did not go the reporting via CW route - I figured it was someone who just did not the in's and out's with regards to listing rules.

We had a kitty before who was a cross between a siamese and a persian (don't know where the siamese came through though as her mom is a tortoiseshell manx and dad was a black and white persian). She was born pure white and as she got older, her "points" came through. Had the most stunning turquoise blue eyes, and the most awful miaow! Bless her little soul as she passed away from kidney failure a few years ago and we still miss her dearly!

oaks and acorns    10
oaks and acorns
Those kittens are adorable - that is what drew my attention in the first place, and that's also why I did not go the reporting via CW route - I figured it was someone who just did not the in's and out's with regards to listing rules.

We had a kitty before who was a cross between a siamese and a persian (don't know where the siamese came through though as her mom is a tortoiseshell manx and dad was a black and white persian). She was born pure white and as she got older, her "points" came through. Had the most stunning turquoise blue eyes, and the most awful miaow! Bless her little soul as she passed away from kidney failure a few years ago and we still miss her dearly!

Thanks Cali, have just chatted to him on the phone now and he really didn't know - and still trying to get his mind around the difference between Auction and Buy Now, but reckon he's got it now.

oaks and acorns    10
oaks and acorns
Yep I thought so too back in December.

Now when I have:

food demands,

warmth demands,

cuddle demands,

kiss demands,

screams from the back yard "save me, save me" when the neighbourhood bully pays a visit,

demands for chicken or mince with very indignant looks when the food comes out of a tin or sachet

filthy stares when the litter box is left outside and I dare to tell them "you have an open window - go through that",

help at the keyboard,

help at the sewing machine,

help washing up,

help showering,

help dressing,

help making the bed,

two Ten-Ton-Tessies sleeping on my chest all night,

fluff and fur to clear up every day,

dead "things" in the lounge

Yep I sit back and think ... I love every minute of it. :bigsmile:

Heehee, a tad different here... This mischief maker goes home to her mommy for the icky stuff, the best of both worlds? Perhaps. I try not to get too attached.

mellowred    10
mellowred
Heehee, a tad different here... This mischief maker goes home to her mommy for the icky stuff, the best of both worlds? Perhaps. I try not to get too attached.

Much safer and easier that way. But possibly not as much enjoyment(?).

oaks and acorns    10
oaks and acorns

... ...

to remove anything the money machine might be tempted to cash in on

Fashion Police    10
Fashion Police

Aw, they're so cute! :blink1:

svw    10
svw
Aw, they're so cute! :blink1:

Totally agree !!! ..... I have wanted a siamese for such a long time. Our one cat is also a Siamese / Persian cross - love him to bits - he inherited the Persian meow and big round eyes - is very stand offish with strangers and other members of the family but a big cuddly softie with my one son and myself !

mellowred    10
mellowred

Sounds like Smudge the street urchin may have a tad Persian in her. Very strong loud meow and huge round eyes.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

She's got all sorts in her. You'd better believe it, mellow! I still would love to own her.

mellowred    10
mellowred

Aw she is a real cuddly bunny, soft and curls up in a ball. But Ms Tinkle is the one after affection all the time, can't move and she is on my heels. Trouble is she can't relax and enjoy the cuddle, always in a slightly stressed mode. Strange, hey. They have both been with me all the time but their characters are poles apart.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

I know this isn't about cats on auction but... have a look at this 30 second clip

Cat Lassie

mellowred    10
mellowred
I know this isn't about cats on auction but... have a look at this 30 second clip

Cat Lassie

OOoppps ... I really should have gone to the loo before watching that.

ROFLMAO

Brilliant MsPlod.