Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StudMuffinsMissus

Calling all Smurf Experts!

12 posts in this topic

I need some opinions please! I can buy a collection of smurfs (approx 160) for R25 each if I take the lot. They are from Germany & around 30 years old. The guy doesnt have pictures (his daughters collection) as they are not with him, he also isn't interested in someone picking & choosing as he's not desperate to sell & it's too much trouble for him. What do I do? Take a chance & take the lot? Have no idea how many duplicates etc ect... What do u think?

I think PEYO are the original Smurf's.

If they are 30 yrs old & from Germany wouldn't they be PEYO?

They very well could be but you never know.

I am not a Smurf collector. I think what anyone pays for them, though, is entirely up to each particular collector. If you think it's worth taking the risk, go for it.

Ask user"ag pleez daddy" Sure he will be able to help you

Space between each word

Edited by geewhizz

I'm not an expert - but loved the smurfs! Here is a link to a price guide Smurf Price Guide hope it helps. You will have low end [scratched and damaged] and high end prices [if the item is in it's original packaging and in mint condition] Each smurf should have a code printed onto it - can be identified by this.

Thanks for the replies! I've been looking at the price list...hope this guy can send me pics. From what I gather I can't go wrong if they are genuine & in good condition.

20 years ago my wife used to give them away to patients kids if they behaved in the practice , I wonder how much money she wasted in todays values ,

The little I do know about the resell value of such soft toys is that you would be able to get your money back should there be some you don't want. ( Of course depending on what you pay for customs and postage) Smurfs are making a huge comeback and I think it's only the beginning of the craze so it would be a good time to buy for the purpose of reselling.

It is a really good buy I think. They definately sound like genuine Peyos & are at least 35 years old. Unfortunately I'm a little cash strapped at the moment. I would love to pass on the contact details to anyone interested as they would easily sell @ a good profit but it's probably against BoB policy?

Although a good price, most of them would probably be in "played-with" condition and so of little collectable value. And given the actual number of different Smurfs, my guesstimate is that 70% would be duplicates - exclude accounting for varieties.

Oh, Smurfs were made in West-Germany and Hong Kong ... even though all (mostly) marked PEYO or BULLY. Where they were molded is usually written on the Smurf. These were then painted, usually in Portugal, Spain, W. Germany or Hong Kong. This is determined by the small dot on the feet.

Smurfs seem to be very well-travelled little folk before they actually arrive at their destinations.