Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
amcintyre

My first international purchase

6 posts in this topic

I decided to make a couple of purchases from a seller based in Hong Kong. He is highly rated (aproximately) 9000 and is 98% positive. I have made the payment for the two items and for the postage costs. I selected international express courier which supposedly takes 4-8 days.

So, what can I expect now? In 8 days time, when it arrives, how does one pay import taxes? What percent is it taxed at? At the price I paid (on Crazy Wednesday) or on the item's actual cost?

I have no issue with the "high" postage costs, as I have previously sent an item which was quite light, to Ireland, and was shocked at what the cost was.....

Amcintyre, It all depends what the amount was you paid for the item/s. Usually not neccesary to pay any import tax. Perhaps I was only lucky not to pay it. You should receive it within 10days.

Customs usually only stop about 2 - 5% of low value parcels (under R500) based on my experience. You are then charged R30 handling fee and 14% VAT on the declared value (Value seller has declared), certain items like clothing can attract additional duties of up to +-40% on declared value.

Customs usually only stop about 2 - 5% of low value parcels (under R500) based on my experience. You are then charged R30 handling fee and 14% VAT on the declared value (Value seller has declared), certain items like clothing can attract additional duties of up to +-40% on declared value.

It's two small electrical items which came to about R750. So VAT should be about R105?

40% on clothing? That's just crazy :sowsuser:

I have purchased from China a few times before also small electrical items and did not have to pay anything extra - the sellers posted them as samples.

I have purchased from China a few times before also small electrical items and did not have to pay anything extra - the sellers posted them as samples.

The above is illegal...

Hello all

Amazing, is it not.

We as RSA based sellers (non-dropshippers) are obliged by law to list our items at prices which include ALL taxes (yes, these have to include VAT). Yet the Chinese (amongst others) are allowed to list their items minus ALL taxes.

What a wonderful world…

Keep well and regards

Jacques

i also orderd from a hongkong seller a pair of earrings and it was about 10 days for the deliwery to my door. it was over december last year.