Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
qball

Second Hand Goods Act - in Effect as of 30th April 2012

8 posts in this topic

Please be aware, the Second Hand Goods Act has officially been proclaimed into law - as of 30th April 2012. This will affect sellers and dealers in second hand goods, including antiques, coins, electronics, cars etc.

Please familiarise yourself with the Act and the regulations.

I also had to re-apply this month for my new certificate to deal in second hand goods. The new act requires all sellers to get an ID number form a buyer. What happens if a buyer does not want to disclose his ID number - maybe for a fear of identity theft - then technically I may not sell anything anymore without this and if I do I can be prosecuted. Will BoB give me the ID number of a buyer if I request it?

Unfortunately bidorbuy does not request ID numbers from buyers, therefore we won't be able to provide this to you. The buyer will have to supply a copy, and in terms of the legislation will be required to provide you with a copy of their ID.

In a manner of speaking, I can understand the reason for this being to prevent stolen goods from being sold by secondhand dealers.

But this surely does not apply to anyone who is selling their own/manufactured or new goods? Nor should it be applicable to folks who are de-cluttering their homes?

Now I have to list about 3 cubic metres of recycled wood in my workshop from broken down furniture making the wood 2nd hand....&&^%$#! And....I bought that new camera from a retailer who bought it from a wholesaler who bought it from a factory.....umm...thats about 4th hand. And..and those guys next to the road selling those interesting objects made from secondhand tin cans and secondhand wire....Poor buggers. Hey, just had a thought. That bloody neighbour who borrows your tools at least cant sell them now. I am meandering.

One could carry this issue ad infinitum ad nauseum sans humour.....BUT...I think there will be reasonableness and I fully understand the need for control. This obviously leaves a huge leeway for abuse all over, so let us hope that this is done in the light of good intention.

Some days I fear for our economies and our sanity.

Now I have to list about 3 cubic metres of recycled wood in my workshop from broken down furniture making the wood 2nd hand....&&^%$#! And....I bought that new camera from a retailer who bought it from a wholesaler who bought it from a factory.....umm...thats about 4th hand. And..and those guys next to the road selling those interesting objects made from secondhand tin cans and secondhand wire....Poor buggers. Hey, just had a thought. That bloody neighbour who borrows your tools at least cant sell them now. I am meandering.

One could carry this issue ad infinitum ad nauseum sans humour.....BUT...I think there will be reasonableness and I fully understand the need for control. This obviously leaves a huge leeway for abuse all over, so let us hope that this is done in the light of good intention.

Some days I fear for our economies and our sanity.

I fear neither. Sanity went South when the economy went West. They tried. Some failed while

others prevailed.

By way of example. I bought two 5 Billion Dollar notes for a mere R50.00 each from a

guy from Zim. Poor insane Zim fellow.

What I would like to know from BoB is if it's still possible for me to sell my stuff which have been bought second hand if I ask a buyer for a scanned copy of his ID (I will of course warn customers beforehand in my listings that I will have to request this before posting anything). The act says all 2nd hand goods dealers must keep records of the buyer's full names, address and contact number, the manner in which the identity has been verified and the id number. The problem is however that on BoB I have not "seen" the customer so I can not verify any of these. I have now not relisted any items on BoB and have taken my own website down until I can get answers to these concerns.

I need to stay alive so I'll haul out the umbrella when it starts to rain. Think of the financial repercussions for Bob.....never mind us. Somewhere, somehow I remain optimistic that there is sanity among the jesters...........

I fear neither. Sanity went South when the economy went West. They tried. Some failed while

others prevailed.

By way of example. I bought two 5 Billion Dollar notes for a mere R50.00 each from a

guy from Zim. Poor insane Zim fellow.

Damn, I have been swindled. These billion dollar notes expired in 2008. And I am

expecting trillion dollar notes from the same supplier. He has a lot of explaining to do.