Sign in to follow this  
geldenhuys1

Fake items on BOB

Little Miss Muffet

As they say read the "Fine print". What a rip off. :disgusted:

jogesel

Why does everyone regard the selling of fake items as “a mistake” on the part of the seller and that the seller should be given a chance?

In the case of Geldenhuys1 it appears that the seller knew that the headphones were not genuine. This type of behaviour is unacceptable. It amounts to fraud and sellers who knowingly sell fake goods should be blacklisted. If not they may continue with their fraudulent ways. My own view is that 99.9% of sellers would (or should) know if what they are selling is fake or not. How for example, can a watch, or a coin seller, not know that an item which they are selling is fake? These are not mistakes but deliberate actions.

I also agree with ILSadler. More could be done to police the selling of fake goods. Obviously not all items sold on BOB can be checked for authenticity but I do hate the old broken record BOB argument that says– “we cannot verify the authenticity of products all the time. Buyers must assist. ”

BOB owns the site it making lots of money from it therefore BOB has a duty to be more pro-active in protecting buyers. Use some of the profits you get from buyers to hire an employee to check for fakes. Try to weed out these fraudulent sellers and don’t just rely on buyers to alert you. Once a seller is caught ban him. Why allow him the opportunity to defraud buyers again?

alloway65

In most cases one can assume if one is buying an article at a fraction of the "Original Manufacturers" retail price, then 99% of the time it will be a fake or a reproduction. Also if a seller continues selling the original article at a price well below cost then he/she would not stay in business very long.......unless they have money to burn.

qball

You right... it does sound like a stuck record.

No amount of staff will be able to monitor, police nor verify all the items listed on our site, nor any site similar to ours, this would inlcude eBay. We currently have over 1.6 million listings, how do you expect anyone in our office to inspect and verify the authenticity of an item that may be located 1000 km's away and is not an expert in say, electronics, gemstones, collectables, the list goes on. Come on, be realistic. It is a seller's legal responsibility to ensure what they sell is genuine and authentic. I can assure you, no similar site can 100% police and verify every single item listed. Then the same must be said for the newspaper companies to check all their classified listings, OLX, Junkmail, Gumtree must also do the same...

If the seller makes amends, refunds or resolves the issue. We do give the seller an opportunity to fix the problem first, after all, they are legally responsible for doing so. If the seller resolves the matter and does not do it again, I am afraid it's NOT fraud, as you incorrectly state. The seller is warned and should any further issues be found, then we look at taking further steps.

We are pro-active, there is a lot you do not see that happens, items that get removed daily by our team, who do try to pro-actively monitor the site, in particlar certain categories where incidents are higher. Employing 1 person or 100 people to monitor every seller and every item is physically impossible, not only that, we cannot determine, just by looking at a listing, that the item may be fake.

I am afraid some sellers do not know that they are selling fakes nor that the items they are selling may contravene copyright, trademarks or IP. You mention coin sellers. Well, even NGC (the coin grading company) cannot always tell that a coin is fake and have graded fake coins as genuine - how do you expect a seller, who may or may not be an "expert", to make that call? Not everyone is an expert. Do you know how to spot fake software, or a fake coin? I would guess you probably wouldn't... neither would we. That is why we also ask the buyer, who received the item to get it verified and checked out, and if proof is supplied we do take action. And YES, we do rely on buyers to inform us, after all, they too have a responsibility to themselves to do the research and ask questions, compare prices etc.

As we always and repeatedly say - buyer beware. Guess I sound like a stuck record. :awesome:

lilythepink

No, qball, you do not sound like a stuck record.

It is always (even when purchasing from shops) a case of "buyer beware". I have recently had to invoke my rights in terms of the CPA with regard to a Nokia cellphone I bought from Pep Stores on 29th October 2013. This cellphone packed up on 19th December 2013 - not even two months later.

I am still in the process of dealing with them!

I must mention that two previous Nokia cellphones bought from Autopage also gave problems but after the second one stopped working they refunded my money and I went to Pep Stores. I don't think I will ever again buy another guaranteed product from Pep Stores in my life.

Nokia used to be a good brand but after three of their cellphones in a row have packed up on me soon after being bought, I don't have too much faith in them anymore.

iconoclasp

In business, as in life you get people and businesses with integrity and those without. I have not purchased much online, but do extensive research and buy only when I " the buyer" am satisfied that the item or service is legit and the seller is someone I would like to do business with. That being said sellers that buy internationally and then resupply run the same risk as me, should they not be diligent in their verification process they stand to loose money. BOB seems like a solid community and I have my own personal shortlist of sellers with whom I will deal in future and those with whom I wont. Buyers and sellers have pretty much the same financial and reputational risk imo, I don't buy on a whim, I take my time , I ask questions, I get a feel for the seller in the way they communicate and respond, and I the buyer make the decision. If someone defrauds me on purpose its another story and I will use all the resources available to me to get recourse. I believe its a two way street where your gut should guide you and your purposeful due diligence will keep you safe and satisfied if done properly.

Colin_P

The problem (from the sellers' perspective) is that they don't have the liberty to choose their buyers, and have to make do with whoever wins the auction, and that, I believe, is one of the reasons there are so many threads on here bemoaning the standard of buyers.

Roz Morte

Way tooooo many fake items, or fslse advertising. Hate it to

n3cr0s1s

Hey guys, I bought some RayBans and they turned out to be fake. Do I have any recourse? The seller did post on his ad that he offers refunds. What would your guys advice be? This is the link Link

mrmouse
Hey guys, I bought some RayBans and they turned out to be fake. Do I have any recourse? The seller did post on his ad that he offers refunds. What would your guys advice be? This is the link Link

What did you see ,to decide they are fake, if they are 'you have every right to claim a refund , but',the seller seems to be genuine

By the way he answers questions ,message him and ask him to authenticate the originality of the product as you have a suspicion its a clone ,

qball

Have you got written proof that the items are not genuine? We would need this in the mean time. We have also requested proof of authenticity from the seller.

You would have recourse against a seller in law, should they sell you counterfeit products and this is proven.