Sign in to follow this  
geldenhuys1

Fake items on BOB

geldenhuys1    10
geldenhuys1

I’m so sick of people on BOB selling fake items. In a space of 2 weeks I bought 2 pairs of fake headphones. Maybe I’m also to blame because like they say if it is too good to be true……. The last pair I bought was Beats by DR. Dre from ayron. The thing that makes me angry is you do ask the seller if these are fake and he say no!! In the answer he gave me is that he get these headphones from Makro. I phoned Makro and they do not sell Beats. I phoned the seller and he will refund me, but he did not once told me that the headphone were not genuine in our conversation so he know they are fake. All the trouble to go throw when the seller just could say no they are fake. I big THANK YOU to the other sellers on BOB that do say that the Beats they sell are fake. Maybe BOB can stop the selling of Beats by Dr Dre like they did with GHD. On the Beats web site BOB are listed as not authorized seller of Beats. Come on sellers, just say it’s fake.

Edited by geldenhuys1

RISadler    10
RISadler

Yip, BoB is listed on this page. Now doesn't that give the ol' MyWOT a flat tyre?

qball    11
qball

There are some legitimate resellers of these items, we do try to police the counterfeit products and on the whole we remove most of these before they are sold. The seller in question has realised his mistake and will be refunding the buyer, he will not be re-listing these items for sale. This does NOT necessarily mean that everyone selling these items are selling counterfeit products... eBay is also listed, but it does not mean that all the items being sold are fake. They also state the following:

List of Unauthorized Sellers

Consumers Beware!

Purchasing products from unauthorized sellers may result in you receiving counterfeit or fake products. These products have not been manufactured by Monster nor do they meet Monster's exacting standards for quality and performance. We have experienced countless occasions where our customers thought they were buying genuine products from these websites, only to find out that what they bought was in fact fake. We strongly urge you to buy from Authorized Dealers so you can be sure you get exactly what you paid for.

alloway65    10
alloway65

So re a BoB Forum thread of some time ago, re ALUMA Wallets, can one now assume that the 22 or so BoB Sellers of ALUMA Wallets are now selling the genuine article and not plastic fakes as bought by quite a few BoB Buyers!!!

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Yip, BoB is listed on this page. Now doesn't that give the ol' MyWOT a flat tyre?

MyWOT is shredded never mind flat - have a look at the comment listing and see that two of the respondents are in fact part of the BoB machinery - Craig Lubbe and JacoJ

Those are simply the ones I know... I am afraid that for me that bodes ill!

C'mon BoB - take a stronger stand against counterfeit goods. Blacklist any trader caught selling counterfeits more than once (i.e. once is a mistake - twice is criminal activity).

qball    11
qball

No, please remember, as a marketplace, we cannot verify the authenticity of products all the time. Therefore you cannot assume anything, if you have received a fake product, you must alert us to this.

alloway65    10
alloway65
No, please remember, as a marketplace, we cannot verify the authenticity of products all the time. Therefore you cannot assume anything, if you have received a fake product, you must alert us to this.

You were alerted some time ago re the fake (Plastic) Aluma Wallets for sale on BoB!

I still have my plastic knock-off on my desk.

qball    11
qball

I believe we do take a hard stance on counterfeit products but it's not as cut and dried as you think.

Why can we not comment on our website? Both Craig and Jaco use the site in their personal capacities - buying and selling. We believe in our business.

The Aluma wallets are still being investigated, however, sometimes our priorities will shift due to the nature of the business and other challenges that pose an immediate threat to our community and site. You are welcome to come to the office and spend a day in the shoes of my staff to fully understand what we deal with. It is easy to criticize from your view point and you are welcome to criticise us on any issue you have, and we appreciate the time you take to do so.

qball    11
qball
You were alerted some time ago re the fake (Plastic) Aluma Wallets for sale on BoB!

I still have my plastic knock-off on my desk.

This is still under investigation as I stated earlier, however, as far as I recall, you did not provide any evidence to substantiate the claim at the time (confirmation from a stockist etc.) and said you would revert back to us once you had spoken to the seller, to my knowledge we have not received any feedback from you on this issue?

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
I believe we do take a hard stance on counterfeit products but it's not as cut and dried as you think.

Why can we not comment on our website? Both Craig and Jaco use the site in their personal capacities - buying and selling. We believe in our business.

Clearly it cannot be as "cut and dried" as I believe it to be.

Of course the employees of the site may comment - and do - it just seriously weakens the authenticity of the comments.

Maybe I am alone in that opinion - But here I will stand quietly thinking my own thoughts...

alloway65    10
alloway65
This is still under investigation as I stated earlier, however, as far as I recall, you did not provide any evidence to substantiate the claim at the time (confirmation from a stockist etc.) and said you would revert back to us once you had spoken to the seller, to my knowledge we have not received any feedback from you on this issue?

You are possibly correct....sorry....we even in retirement have had a very busy year.....businesses and Grandchildren etc.

The seller did apologize and said to return the item...I said it was too much hassle for such a small amount of money....my main concern was principle!!!!

Would you like me to courier to you the "ALUMA" Wallet purchased....at my cost.

I also must finalize the selling on BoB of the Fake Silver Kruger Rands....will do shortly.

David

qball    11
qball

Hi David

You are welcome to send it through to me, do you have our address?

Yes, I recall that too, I think we did speak to Randburg Coin about that and were waiting for feedback from you once it was tested?

Thanks

Cuan

alloway65    10
alloway65
Hi David

You are welcome to send it through to me, do you have our address?

Yes, I recall that too, I think we did speak to Randburg Coin about that and were waiting for feedback from you once it was tested?

Thanks

Cuan

Hi Cuan,

Will do, can you confirm the BoB delivery address please for the courier. I did take a scraping from the inside of the wallet just to be 100% sure it was plastic....it was!

Re the non silver crowns I did have discussions with Jason, I will make a synopsis for you and send you a PM. I will cut one of the "crowns" in half over the weekend..I might also send you a half as they are worthless. I will also do some specific density calculations.

Take care

David

qball    11
qball

Physical Address

bidorbuy (Pty) Ltd

Ground Floor, Building 2

Silverpoint Office Park

22 Ealing Crescent

Bryanston

No need to send me the coin (or half), as along as I have documents confirming the issues.

Thanks

RISadler    10
RISadler
... it's not as cut and dried as you think.

Let me cut & dry your hair with this friendly observation, equation, and suggestion ...

(Observation) Basically all the counterfeit items sold on BoB are sold as new items by sellers who are not established retailers.

(Equation) Hence, if branded items are listed as new on BoB by somebody who is not an established commercial entity, then the possibility of said items being counterfeit, fake, stolen, or non-existent is in my guesstimate 99,915%.

(Suggestion) Therefore, when somebody like this lists such an item, delay that listing until such time as the seller can provide you with "certificates of authenticity." Recuperate the cost of this "procedure" by charging a small listing fee ... I am sure genuine sellers of legal products would not mind, as it is definitely in their favour.

Or is your hair still long and damp? :nuts:

mellowred    10
mellowred

That sounds good in theory, but in practice can BoB's IT team incorporate a Magic Tool to sift out the possible counterfeit listings, or will all listings have to be subject to the delay?

RISadler    10
RISadler

mellowred, that reminds me of what Shrek said to Donkey: "You have the right to remain silent. What you lack is the capacity." Anyhow, using Bayesian filters it is possible to adaptively identify suspicious listing in a snap. But even something as complex as that isn't necessary. A simple SQL query can flag these listings for human intervention.

mellowred    10
mellowred

And that reminds me of something the logician Bertrand Russell had to say:

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

qball    11
qball

Thanks for your suggestion RISadler - Technology can only do so much - it cannot identify an item unless the correct words and text is used. Not only that, we will still have to manually go through these listings and intervene - we do not have enough staff to do this and to employ staff to do this is costly and financially not viable. We also don't want to create barriers to entry for legitimate users/sellers. Can you imagine if eBay implemented this, or Gumtree or any newspaper classified? It is impossible to police for any site, as it will always involve manual intervention. That is why buyers should do their research and home work on products before buying - as we always say "Buyer Beware".

alloway65    10
alloway65
That is why buyers should do their research and home work on products before buying - as we always say "Buyer Beware".

This is fully understood, but if the BoB seller(s) use the advertizing material including pictures of the real/original product...then any amount of research wont help!

Also I have a feeling in some instances the seller thinks he/she is selling the original/real product....not a fake.

qball    11
qball
This is fully understood, but if the BoB seller(s) use the advertizing material including pictures of the real/original product...then any amount of research wont help!

Also I have a feeling in some instances the seller thinks he/she is selling the original/real product....not a fake.

100% agree, but neither will we, unless we investigate it. But we cannot do that for the 100 000's of products listed - it is the Seller's responsibility to ensure what they sell is 100% legitimate and authentic.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Then you get those who know DARN WELL that the items they are selling are knock offs.

I bought (and paid for) a pair of Levis from Skeletonkey... Mysteriously they were "lost in the mail" - he was remarkably willing to refund me and eventually did - after a few months and a number of emails from my side giving him my banking details (on a number of occasions). Yup, wonder whether he thought I might have bought them to check whether they were authentic or not - LOL!

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
Then you get those who know DARN WELL that the items they are selling are knock offs.

I bought (and paid for) a pair of Levis from Skeletonkey... Mysteriously they were "lost in the mail" - he was remarkably willing to refund me and eventually did - after a few months and a number of emails from my side giving him my banking details (on a number of occasions). Yup, wonder whether he thought I might have bought them to check whether they were authentic or not - LOL!

You need only read the Art Forum threads which deal with forgeries to see how big a problem

fakes can be.

In the end we have to become our own experts. People selling fakes will continue to sell them

from any platform they can. Bob is just one of them. But Bob will and have taken action and I

am sure will continue to do so.

Edited by Jongleur

RISadler    10
RISadler
Thanks for your suggestion RISadler - Technology can only do so much - it cannot identify an item unless the correct words and text is used. Not only that, we will still have to manually go through these listings and intervene - we do not have enough staff to do this and to employ staff to do this is costly and financially not viable. We also don't want to create barriers to entry for legitimate users/sellers. Can you imagine if eBay implemented this, or Gumtree or any newspaper classified? It is impossible to police for any site, as it will always involve manual intervention. That is why buyers should do their research and home work on products before buying - as we always say "Buyer Beware".

I disagree with you completely, 100%, fully, and in total. But as I've said in previous altercations ... it's your site, your business, and your name ... so what do I really care? :nuts:

"... as we always say 'Buyer Beware' [of bidorbuy sellers]." :disgusted:

Say, while you're handing me my "infraction," who else has some (for similar reasons)? :confused:

alloway65    10
alloway65
100% agree, but neither will we, unless we investigate it. But we cannot do that for the 100 000's of products listed - it is the Seller's responsibility to ensure what they sell is 100% legitimate and authentic.

You will have the wallet and a copy of my communications with RC re the fake silver Kruger Rand tomorrow before Noon.