Sign in to follow this  
Annie737

Excessive shipping charged by sellers adi1 and christinas

mrmouse

my opinion is still make it standard for 2 kg at R45. irrespective of quantity , unless glass over 500 by 500 in size then basic plus additional whatever , in future I feel like a basic charge plus R10. for yellow sticky tape ,, R10. for a smelly lavender thingy in box ,, R10. for wear and tear on shoes to walk the 3 shops to Post Office , I work at R286. per hour so atleast R 150. for standing in P.O .now non of that is illegal its additional costs involved ,, OH and 0.36 cents for the plastic bag to carry it in to the P.O , NOW who agrees with me .Ive given up its a lost case , it will never be sorted and people will allways make money out of mail it seems .its not controllable and buyers will continue to suffer , now if buying two items I will buy one and my wife will buy one and seller must post two items , unless second item is included free .

wayjen

Shipping will never ever be sorted unless a professional does it for us as we all have different ways of selling our items. Packaging is the difference between something arriving broken and something not arriving broken. Packaging is the difference between what can fit in a PO employee's pocket and a parcel that cannot.

Some of us scrounge packaging from all over to keep postage at its bare minimum whilst others go to CNA to buy theirs, we are all different.

Jongleur

Perhaps some sellers don`t know how to calculate cost, mark-up, gross profit etc.

I do these calculations all the time for contracts over 2 and 3 year periods. Getting

it right every time is imperative. Pedantic, hard work. And then you can compete

against anyone knowing that you have got it right. Get it wrong and you will forever

wonder how you lost out.

mrmouse

Now that I dont agree with , these sellers KNOW exactly what costs are involved .

Jongleur
Now that I dont agree with , these sellers KNOW exactly what costs are involved .

Then they are the sellers who will be able to afford to stay in business.

mrmouse

I agree , do your homework but dont pull the piggy through the fence .you will lose out eventually , people get greedy .

Jongleur
I agree , do your homework but dont pull the piggy through the fence .you will lose out eventually , people get greedy .

If such a seller is greedy and in this situation now for the short term I can almost guarantee that his/her next

opportunity is already lined up or in action.

A question I ask myself:

What stops a seller and a post office official from being involved in a scam. Manipulate the system

and R500.00 postal charges magically become R50.00. Other government departments have managed

to excel in these scams without recourse. Private business as well.

wayjen

But that happens already Jongleur, on occasion the post office employee will send a parcel through for R20 but according to your calculations AND the price you sent to the buyer, the price was R40 so what now, the client gets the article and you asked for R40 yet the parcel is marked R20? If you pick that up you can refund if not you can get away with it OR the client will report you for excessive postage.

voldermort
@voldermort: I think we all get what you're saying. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. I stirred the pot over bob's charges before and will obviously not discuss that again as the issue is obviously untouchable. (closed threads, shutdown of conversation, etc.) :rolleyes: My opinion however won't change. Just as you claim people don't have a right to make profit out of "postage" charges so too doesn't bob have that right. By incorporating extra charges into the product price they are in fact doing exactly that. It's already enough that bob makes money on the total cost like an extra VAT so I won't relent that they shouldn't make even more money from our expenses on top of that. So who do you think I'll buy from? The guy who asks R51+R30p&p or the one who asks R40+R40p&p?

It seems most complaints are from people after they click buy. Again if people just READ the delivery charges the sellers who really overcharge won't be selling. Maybe bob should implement an extra measure where people actually have to answer the correct delivery charges and accept them before bidding. Clever buyers can of course opt-out but nobody would be able to complain any more.

What really baffles me is that a lot of BoB sellers do this as a living, the one's who are doing this a hobby I am not concerned with here, only the sellers who make a living from this. They all have their different reasons why they have eventually ended up here on BoB & I would imagine that mostly all of them would be overjoyed to have a platform such as BoB off which they can trade - hours that suit them - sell whatever they like - work whenever & wherever it suits them, so it really astonishes me that some would begrudge this trading platform which really is a lifeline for them, a few rand by not incorporating postage costs into the items they are selling & instead add this amount onto postage......for what, so they can score a few rand instead of giving it to BoB?? But if it were not for BoB they might very well be sitting on a street corner peddling their wares :evil: Maybe I don't have much of a business mind but to my way of thinking that is most definitely not how it should work.

Jongleur
But that happens already Jongleur, on occasion the post office employee will send a parcel through for R20 but according to your calculations AND the price you sent to the buyer, the price was R40 so what now, the client gets the article and you asked for R40 yet the parcel is marked R20? If you pick that up you can refund if not you can get away with it OR the client will report you for excessive postage.

This is the thing you see. Good to know that systems and controls from Zim and other African

countries work so well in the RSA.

mrmouse
What really baffles me is that a lot of BoB sellers do this as a living, the one's who are doing this a hobby I am not concerned with here, only the sellers who make a living from this. They all have their different reasons why they have eventually ended up here on BoB & I would imagine that mostly all of them would be overjoyed to have a platform such as BoB off which they can trade - hours that suit them - sell whatever they like - work whenever & wherever it suits them, so it really astonishes me that some would begrudge this trading platform which really is a lifeline for them, a few rand by not incorporating postage costs into the items they are selling & instead add this amount onto postage......for what, so they can score a few rand instead of giving it to BoB?? But if it were not for BoB they might very well be sitting on a street corner peddling their wares :evil: Maybe I don't have much of a business mind but to my way of thinking that is most definitely not how it should work.

I sell to subsidise and try to make additional funds for Wildlife Rehab , BoB has been very good to me over the years and helped tremendously to keep the centre running , but if I lose money the centre loses money and puts us on a very very tight budget , we are an NPO so to get ripped off ,,to me is a major problem some say but its only R50 , I dont see it that way I see it as 2 packets of apples and a packet of pears , that can mean the difference between an animal that gets fed or goes without an important part of its diet , not one cent that I make on BoB goes into my pocket , this is why I dislike been overcharged .

oaks and acorns
I sell to subsidise and try to make additional funds for Wildlife Rehab , BoB has been very good to me over the years and helped tremendously to keep the centre running , but if I lose money the centre loses money and puts us on a very very tight budget , we are an NPO so to get ripped off ,,to me is a major problem some say but its only R50 , I dont see it that way I see it as 2 packets of apples and a packet of pears , that can mean the difference between an animal that gets fed or goes without an important part of its diet , not one cent that I make on BoB goes into my pocket , this is why I dislike been overcharged .

mr mouse, my old cellphone still works fine and I have little use for your other goodies. So could you please consider listing a photo of one/more of your wildlife babbas .. whatever you'd consider a fair exchange for the price of 2 packets of apples and a packet of pears, no shipping required since the item would be digital.

mrmouse
mr mouse, my old cellphone still works fine and I have little use for your other goodies. So could you please consider listing a photo of one/more of your wildlife babbas .. whatever you'd consider a fair exchange for the price of 2 packets of apples and a packet of pears, no shipping required since the item would be digital.

all goods that are for sale are donated by people trying to make a difference , for fund raising , I personally have nothing to sell , its all long gone .

oaks and acorns
all goods that are for sale are donated by people trying to make a difference , for fund raising , I personally have nothing to sell , its all long gone .

lol ain't that the truth! So. Please, take a photo of your wildlife prodigees and list the pic for me (quality doesn't matter, use your cellphone if you must)

~pops fifty bucks on the breadboard and waits~

oaks and acorns

... ...

Edited by oaks and acorns

mrmouse

I will do that as soon as I can ,I can see QBall deleting my post , I will let you know , its a strange little world I live in , I actually think QBall should delete the post , QBALL please delete my last rantings .B

mrmouse

ThankYou , how about locking this thread now , its gone sideways .

mrmouse
This one too, please qball.

can I charge you Postage with the picture ,Oaks

oaks and acorns
can I charge you Postage with the picture ,Oaks

Nope, 'cos then you'd have to actually post it and the postal services are on strike.

oaks and acorns
ThankYou , how about locking this thread now , its gone sideways .

Hope he doesn't, this thread still has plenty potential.

voldermort
Hope he doesn't, this thread still has plenty potential.

yes it does even though it is jumping from topic to topic.

re: mrmouse's now forever gone into cyberspace post, absolutely terrible what so called civilised beings can get up to.

oaks and acorns
yes it does even though it is jumping from topic to topic.

Not really, at least one shipping problem has been solved.

Prom

Hobby or not, this is not about begrudging the platform. You are now comparing apples with oranges. For some of us a few rand is the difference between selling or not selling at all. Nobody took up my challenge before. I see one is selling donated items. It's easy from that perspective to judge but as the saying goes once you walked a mile in somebody else's shoes you'll understand them.