Sign in to follow this  
kassem_ezz

How To Pack And Ship A Parcel

kassem_ezz

Hi BoB Forum...

I want to start selling on BoB. I finally got my items.

Assuming I will be selling earphones which come in a box Less than 1KG.

I have lots of begginer questions so please bear with me:

1-What would be the best method to ship using SAPO?

Is it econoparcel or ordinary? Do they both offer tracking?

2- Is Registered mail a facility on its own? Or is it to be added on econo and orindary? (too confusing for me :sowsuser:)

3- What is the best way to pack a parcel for shipping? Do I just put the parcel in a bubble wrap envelope? Or must I use additional protection of some sort?

Sorry if my questions seem too silly and I'm total lost:cheesy:

Thx for any help and suggestions

MiemsJewels
Hi BoB Forum...

I want to start selling on BoB. I finally got my items.

Assuming I will be selling earphones which come in a box Less than 1KG.

I have lots of begginer questions so please bear with me:

1-What would be the best method to ship using SAPO?

Is it econoparcel or ordinary? Do they both offer tracking?

2- Is Registered mail a facility on its own? Or is it to be added on econo and orindary? (too confusing for me :sowsuser:)

3- What is the best way to pack a parcel for shipping? Do I just put the parcel in a bubble wrap envelope? Or must I use additional protection of some sort?

Sorry if my questions seem too silly and I'm total lost:cheesy:

Thx for any help and suggestions

1. Econoparcel is ordinary parcel

2. Registered mail is almost the same as ordinary parcel, but with an insured (pink) sticker tracking PA = insured mail PE = ordinary mail

3. For something breakable I suggest you wrap it in bubble wrap and put it in a small box

EXAMPLE:

SHIPPING: * Ordinary Parcel R35-00 INCLUDING TRACK & TRACE NUMBER R3-00 for each additional item. Add 2% for insured mail. SPEEDSERVICES R75-00 + 3% for insured parcels if weight is up to 1Kg. Insured Speedservices for weight up tot 3- 4kg R250 (contact me first for the weight.) *Counter to Door R140-00 up to 1kg.overnight counter to door. R250 fot weight up to 3 - 4kg.SHIPPING TO NAMIBIA R150.00 *(IF ITEMS IS RETURNED FOR ANY REASON, SHIPPING WILL BE CARRIED BY BUYER) *RETURNED UNCLAIMED PARCELS WILL BE SHIPPED OUT AGAIN AS SOON AS I RECEIVE SHIPPING FEES FOR RE-POST. *Please allow 1 week for national delivery.

brands online

Hi kassem_ezz

SAPO offers 2 forms of shipment/postage for parcels as pointed out above ie. Ordinary Mail/Parcel and Insured Mail/Parcel. Both however are registered somewhat as ALL parcels receive a Tracking number and can thus be tracked.

Parcels upto 1kg and dimensions UPTO 458 X 324 X 100 mm are classified as Econoparcels. If you can manage to package your items keeping the weight and dimensions below this, I'd advise it as postage on an Econoparcel is R20.40 as opposed to an Ordinary Parcel at R33.35 upto 1kg. Anything over 1kg and/or the dimensions listed is charged at R33.35 plus R4.50 per kg or part thereof.

Insuring the parcels wheteher Econo or Ordinary parcel is charged at 2% of the declared value upto R5000. Do however note that insurance only covers loss or theft and not breakages incurred in transit.

These are the latest SAPO charges as of 1 April 2012. It might also be a good idea to pick up a "POSTAL RATES" booklet from your post office.

A few other things we've learnt over time.

1). Most of the smaller post offices accept parcels only upto 20kg's. (cos their scales don't go higher)

2). Most post office staff are unfortunately incompetent so best if you're upto speed on how much you're actually supposed to be paying.

3). Both Econo and Ordinary parcels "can" be insured. ( Some post office staff will give you the runaround when trying to insure an Econoparcel).

If you plan on selling alot of items, I would suggest buying a roll of bubble wrap as it will work out much cheaper long term than bubble wrap envelopes even if you "double bubble". For earphones you might just use it forever though :cheesy:

Hope this helps too, no stress it's only daunting in the beginning. Good luck on your BOB endeavours!

P.S: Rates quoted above are domestic postal rates. International, including neighbouring countries is somewhat more and available in the postal rates booklet.

Edited by brands online
P.S.

MiemsJewels

Brands you are correct that is the new shipping. Remember to add the cost of the jiffy bags, as well as the bubble wrap. We don't get that for free.:smile:

kassem_ezz

"MiemsJewels" as with my all other posts you are always there to help in all ways.

"brands online" thx so much for the amazing clarification, it really made it much easier for me..

Both of you guys are just fantastic....:blink1:

kassem_ezz

MiemsJewels: what are the jiffy bags? Where can I get them from?

Ah never mind.. I just googled it :-)... its the buble envelope :-)

Edited by kassem_ezz