Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cassiedup

Extended Bidding ??

18 posts in this topic

Exactly how does extended bidding work, happened to me twice now that I was bidding on an item, had the winning bid and the screen shows "Auction Closed" , I leave my computer only to find out later on that I was outbid ?

Exactly how does extended bidding work, happened to me twice now that I was bidding on an item, had the winning bid and the screen shows "Auction Closed" , I leave my computer only to find out later on that I was outbid ?

You would need to click the F5 "refresh" button to see further/new bids. BOB doesn't automatically update the page everytime there is a new bid should you have left your internet browser open on an item's page. Strange things can happen - I have often placed bids from my laptop (a few minutes before the item closes) and have left the page open and have placed the laptop into standby. A few hours later upon restarting the laptop it still shows that there is some time left although, in fact the item has closed.

I hear what you are saying, but this was not really applicable as I refreshed the screen 1-minute before closing time, surely "Auction Closed" should mean just that ???.

Also I received no e-mail notification of being outbid as per usual.

Something is wrong !

Last night I lost an auction which really hacked me off. I was watching very closely because

I remember reading the above posts. I refreshed constantly and finally with 10 seconds to go I watched

the auction count down until it read "auction closed". Refreshing again to clear the page I found out I had lost.

It was a small amount but I really wanted the item. I would have bid much, much higher. The only consolation was winning another

auction later on which I am almost certain only happened because the other bidder had the same problem as I had earlier on.

Now then sellers ; what is going on ? Why are you closing auctions without following fair procedure ?

You need to refresh the page constantly even during the last few remaining seconds and not watch the clock count down as someone else may outbid and you won't know it, until the auction is closed or you refresh the page.

I don't think the seller is to blame for this... you were outbid fair and square as you did not refresh the page in the last 10 seconds.

You need to refresh the page constantly even during the last few remaining seconds and not watch the clock count down as someone else may outbid and you won't know it, until the auction is closed or you refresh the page.

I don't think the seller is to blame for this... you were outbid fair and square as you did not refresh the page in the last 10 seconds.

Thanks for your reply and the attached info.

If someone puts in a higher bid the clock should reset for another 2 minutes. That is what usually happens.

Please give me the trade ID so I can check the auction set up...

Thanks

Please give me the trade ID so I can check the auction set up...

Thanks

Hi QBall

ID : 64597342

I have just checked my email times.

The email sent to me at 9.59 says I have been outbid. That means the page was not responding

to the higher bid even though the page views next to the refresh button was logging the number of

views - ie 79, 80, 81 etc. I was checking as the time counted down.

I keep more than one tab of the same item open when watching an auction through. This means I can refresh "more often". Just a thought...

Why on earth am I making this strategy public! darned silly old fool~!!!

This auction did not have extended bidding selected. It closed on time (you would not have been able to bid at 22h00). The winning bidder entered his bid just before it closed and had an auto bid as well. This could have all happened within seconds and several factors can influence this as discussed here - Why Was My Bid Not Accepted? - Powered by Kayako Fusion Help Desk Software

Please do not go according to the time counting down - you must refresh the page... :smile1:

I keep more than one tab of the same item open when watching an auction through. This means I can refresh "more often". Just a thought...

Ha Ha

With my luck I will find myself bidding against myself. Great idea though.

I was so riled that the next item I bid on could have sold for 10 times its value

and I would still have bought it.

Good to see you back. The thread on the BMW has had me laughing and

thinking what the honcho`s at BMW are saying.

This auction did not have extended bidding selected. It closed on time (you would not have been able to bid at 22h00). The winning bidder entered his bid just before it closed and had an auto bid as well. This could have all happened within seconds and several factors can influence this as discussed here - Why Was My Bid Not Accepted? - Powered by Kayako Fusion Help Desk Software

Please do not go according to the time counting down - you must refresh the page... :smile1:

Rats ! Lost again. At 10 seconds to go I was still typing in my bid when the auction closed.

Why cant all bids have extended bidding.

Waxed the first one tonight. Works but you have to be sharp with all the open windows.

Last night I nearly destroyed my computer before I worked out what was happening.

My next victim is lined up.

Waxed the first one tonight. Works but you have to be sharp with all the open windows.

Last night I nearly destroyed my computer before I worked out what was happening.

My next victim is lined up.

Kewl!!!

So what's the moral of this story. Always make sure you have your highest auto-bid in place?

So what's the moral of this story. Always make sure you have your highest auto-bid in place?

Most of the time - I bid what I would be prepared to pay from the outset. If there is something I REALLY want and the bid increments are "small" enough, then I chase the auction/s home.

It is a lot of fun competing at the end of a bid, but you have to really know your prices, otherwise in the heat of the moment - you pay loads more than a "buy now" from the same trader - LOL!

Most of the time - I bid what I would be prepared to pay from the outset. If there is something I REALLY want and the bid increments are "small" enough, then I chase the auction/s home.

It is a lot of fun competing at the end of a bid, but you have to really know your prices, otherwise in the heat of the moment - you pay loads more than a "buy now" from the same trader - LOL!

I've come close :toung:

You either win the auction by the end of it's closing time, or you don't. End of.

I'm a long time eBayer and the strategy has always been to bid once and bid late. This way you you'd have the great option to snipe the auction and catch out all the nibblers with their myriad of nonsensical bids.

Just my couple cents on this issue. :smile:

Edited by qball
comments not permitted