Sign in to follow this  
Little Miss Muffet

Hellcom does it again

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

Our phone was faulty,just scratchy so hubby goes to Telkom and spends a few hundred rand on another phone.

It was working then not working.

I got an email from my son in the UK to say my phone was constantly engaged.This is not possible as I can hear a second call coming through and it will ring for the second caller.

Then I had an email from my advertiser saying that someone could not get hold of me.

Back went the phone and because 7 days had expires Telkom would not give us another phone but would send it back for repair.

Ofcourse when it was tested at Telkom it worked so they saw no need to send it back.

So back to the old phone with scratchy calls.

Now apparently all we had to do was purchase a cord connection for the old phone.2 Old toppies would not think of that.We were told this after it took Telkom 3 weeks to come out and find the fault. They will charge for a call out if it is not their electronics at fault.

In the first place it is their phone at fault--They wont change it and wont fix it.

So I kicked up a terrible fuss of what I thought of Telkon to the repair guy this morning. Hubby kept saying it is not his fault.i made sure he knew that if he charged us for the call out I would go to the newspapers etc. etc.

Anyway so he did find the new phone faulty and said we must take it back and give them his name.

To cut this long story short I think I will put the faulty cord on the new phone and return it.Dare me.[ATTACH=CONFIG]3152[/ATTACH]

Edited by geewhizz

oaks and acorns    10
oaks and acorns

Consider yourself dared

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Go for it!

We're also having hell with Telkom... firstly they closed the branch in ODN due to lack of interest (!) so if you need anything, you have to go through to George or order online - handsets, account queries, etc. Eventually got the line installed in the shop only to be slapped with a double account - no real hassle as I understand that you're billed in advance for certain services. Then silence... only to finally discover that "someone" has inserted the wrong address in the actual account plus then stated that we do not want a paper copy of the account. Finally got the amount that was due and the account number after much running around, only to discover that I needed a nineteen digit reference code to pay via EFT.

At the end of the day, after holding on the phone for nearly an hour due to us not having a "tone" phone (going to buy a handset in CT as there are no shops in ODN that sell phones), I finally got through to a surprisingly friendly and helpful woman who sorted out all my queries, etc. As the account is now overdue (much to my disgust), I will seek out a Telkom branch on the road tomorrow to pay in cash as on this side, everything closes at 1pm (post office, etc).

I have learned though that sometimes it does pay to have friends in high places - our best friend is in Telkom in PE and I just let him know my issue and he gets people jumping through hoops... to have our landline installed at the house in January I was told I had to wait four to six weeks - this despite me doing all the paperwork, etc in PE a month before we left as per their instructions. Got hold of the friend and the line was installed the next day. Now if only we had friends nearly everywhere else... :)

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

You make me too scared to even contemplate moving!

Does anyone find Vodacom, MTN or any other SP cheaper than Hellkom AND provide better service?

mellowred    10
mellowred

Hi Lil,

I stopped with Helkom several years ago. I use an independent ISP. When we moved, I had to switch to a new one, but on the whole I find them much easier to deal with than any of the big companies.

Main benefit is that you have a cellphone number where you can contact a person any time there is a problem. In the 6 years or so that I have been using independants I have found that the down time is minimal and usually due to a Telkom problem further down the line which affects everyone.

I had to purchase a tower for R1,000 and pay R199 per month for 3G @ 384 connection speed - they have various contracts, but that is the one I can afford.

I used Vodacom and 8ta (MTN) for a while, and found it horrifically expensive. But again this could be due the fact that I was buying small - 1G at a time. From what I have heard, Cell C has the best internet connection speed but you need to check if have a tower in your area - if they sub off another provider you end up with that providers speed. The 8ta (MTN) signal here was virtually non-existent. I could shower, make coffee and still read the newspaper before the forum page would open :amazed:. But that is easy to check by chatting to the neighbours.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Thanks for the info, mellow. I shall "consult" with you when the time comes.

Meantime, selling a house in Grahamstown is a very s-l-o-w exercise - since January we've had 8 people view the house. (One is keen to come back to view again, but that doesn't mean a thing unless a Deed of Sale is signed! Oh Dear!) And then, as you know, we will have to decide where we want to settle - Betty's Bay will only be a temporary home.

svw    10
svw

I dare you! OR - you can sell it on bob - minus the cord.

I know the feeling about selling up - we have also had our house on the market since February, we really want to move onto a smallholding away from town - tired of fighting with all the developments going up around us. In the past year 10 units + 16 units + 64 units built right up against our boundary![that's right 64 its a three story block of flats - land was initially passed for 11 units - the municipality had it stopped as it was an illegal building BUT it was then passed by the high court - why because the chap involved in developing is one of Julius Malemas buddies!!!!!!]

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Does Julius still have buddies? :rolleyes:

svw    10
svw
Does Julius still have buddies? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately in this part of the world - yes.

But what goes around comes around - last June he bought a smallholding close to Polokwane game reserve - paid cash! Shortly after, it had four separate land claims filed against it ...... LOL..

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

If Pam Golding don't get us a sale by mid-July then we will have to think about putting the house on BoB! Good idea and it will cost a lot less than if an agent sells it, I guess.

Cali Craft and Gems

Re selling the house on BoB - most of the agents already list their items on Property24 which shows up on BoB - our PE house is on BoB / Property24. But selling a house in the Eastern Cape is like having your teeth pulled - a slow painful process! We're still battling to get rid of ours!

Re Telkom - we were at Canal Walk in CT last night and discovered that the shops only close at 9pm - including Telkom so we managed to pay our "overdue because of Telkom's mistake" account. Also confirmed that, despite me dealing with what I thought was a competent individual, the address had not been changed to show the correct info! But can't get used to the idea of being in a city after being in our little 'dorp' - could not wait to get back home! (remember that town "closes" at 1pm on a Saturday for the weekend!)

Re phones - in ODN the one thing that you cannot find to buy is a phone - be it corded or cordless! So off to the shops in CT we go and eventually find a entry level cordless phone that is fine for the shop... hang around looking for staff to help in this particular store and everyone is too busy ducking customers, or having their own little chat zone between each other. Eventually hubby storms off to the front of the store demanding to know where the manager is seeing that there is no staff bothered to assist. The manager "appears", follows hubby (should have taken the long tour past the R20k odd TV's to get the manager excited!) to ask about the cheapest phone in the store! Not surprisingly "out of stock" but due to the inconvenience, the manager offered us the newer model and discounted it to the price of the out of stock one! Needless to say, one happy hubby... and me of course!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

So you are also battling to sell your house, Cali?

Our viewers who have "declined" to purchase our home haven't complained about the price but have come up with some very, very strange reasons why they don't want to buy. I am expecting the next viewer to say that there are too many ants running down the street. (Fortunately there haven't been goats and cows around the veranda and garage area when people have come to view!)

Cali Craft and Gems

Our PE house does need some TLC - projects that we did not have the time to finish before we left PE. We have dropped our asking price by R70k to draw some interest and especially as the house would be "as is". The agent flatly refuses to put the wording in the listing that it needs some attention so it gets a lot of appointments (due to the price / size), but gets a lot of declines due to the work. Our instructions to the agent have been to let the people know beforehand that there is work / TLC required, but she'd rather waste everyone's time by not doing so, and when the people view the house they are very disappointed. We agreed to one offer (R35k less than the listed price), but it fell through because he could not get a bond.

The contract with this agent is ending this month and I'll be handing the house over to another more competent agent who is at least interested in being "honest" in the listings. I'd sell it myself if I had the time or if I was closer to PE. Sick and tired of incompetent people - house has been on the market for 8 months already and I need for it to go!

(and I see for some reason it is also off the BoB listings... darn agent!)