Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mellowred

Winter has arrived

78 posts in this topic

Two little angels wrapped up for winter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3148[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]3149[/ATTACH]

cute!

The storm over our house on thursday was hectic.

Adorable... our bunch don't sleep wrapped up but have taken over some of the best spots in the house! Soot has found a cozy spot in our cupboard which she alternates with the soft blanket on the bed when she gets too hot, Rust just lurves my soft blanket in the lounge, KitKat has taken a shine to the continental pillow I've set up in the office for her, and Phoebe starts off on hubby's keyboard, then moves to in the bed with me, then when she get's too hot, snuggles against me near my pillow.

Roxy (the dog) on the other hand sleeps where ever she passes out... but also starts "dropping hints" for bedtime as soon as she's had enough for the day - she has a bed on the stoep, a blanket in the lounge, and one in the bedroom. And boy does she know how to complain when it gets "too late" and we haven't gone to bed yet!

We also had the tail end of the storm on Thursday, even had a lot of lightning.

Yep these two mobsters also just take over the house. I just leave the vacuum on pipe mode now - constantly having to vacuum up fur and fluff off the furniture and tables. Darn cats - they should learn to sleep outdoors. :sneaky:

We also had quite a spate of thunderstorms on Thursday evening - rained for five hours straight! As our animals are used to the milder PE weather, we have noticed a change in their behaviour - especially when the temps drop to the low single figures. "You want us to go outside? You're nuts!"... and they promptly slink back to the bed.

Our kitties hide under the blankets and are difficult to capture on camera. Bed-making has to be delayed until they have all decided it would be a good idea to go and lie in the sunshine. It's jolly cold here at night these days but the days are pleasant.

Bliss - I wish my two would cuddle like that... They have lived together for nearly 12 years and still hiss and spit if they get too close!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3148[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]3149[/ATTACH]

Too cute!!!!!!

I didn't consider our one cat so cute last night earlier in the evening she let a rat loose inside .... I insisted that the kids catch it before anyone could go to bed - end result very tired today we only got to bed at about 2am.

That is just so precious Mellowred! Have been away for a few days and my kitty was so thrilled to have me back. It is really cold here today - rain just started so you should be getting some again tomorrow or thereabouts.

We saw some pretty hectic weather while away - flooding included. Wonder what this winter has in store for the south western Cape?

Yip - that weather in CT on Monday was hectic! So much rain!

When we got home this evening the dog was overjoyed to see us, but not one of our cats has allowed either of us to love them! They're all still outside and are not talking to us! LOL

Yip - that weather in CT on Monday was hectic! So much rain!

When we got home this evening the dog was overjoyed to see us, but not one of our cats has allowed either of us to love them! They're all still outside and are not talking to us! LOL

And they say that cats don't sulk.............you hurt their feelings - nobody to cuddle up to and keep them warm!!!!!!

That is just so precious Mellowred! Have been away for a few days and my kitty was so thrilled to have me back. It is really cold here today - rain just started so you should be getting some again tomorrow or thereabouts.

We saw some pretty hectic weather while away - flooding included. Wonder what this winter has in store for the south western Cape?

That storm hit late afternoon. Spent the day working in Hermanus and only left at 6pm. Was a wreck navigating that narrow Hermanus - Stanford road, in the dark, window wipers full blast, glaring oncoming lights, and winds that even The Tank could feel. Not nice at all.

Think we are in for an interesting winter. Terrible for the homeless.

27 degrees Celsius in Jhb today and for the rest of the week we are told...clear blue skies...think I must now turn off the underfloor heating for a while. :blink1:

We still have remnants of autumn here, yay! 'cos hate it when the seasons miss a beat.

That storm hit late afternoon. Spent the day working in Hermanus and only left at 6pm. Was a wreck navigating that narrow Hermanus - Stanford road, in the dark, window wipers full blast, glaring oncoming lights, and winds that even The Tank could feel. Not nice at all.

Think we are in for an interesting winter. Terrible for the homeless.

Glad you made it safely Mellowred. Horrid driving under those conditions. We saw some awful accidents this past weekend - some fatalities linked to those too.

Also always think of the folks living in substandard housing and the homeless during these times. Man alive are we lucky to have a warm dry roof over our heads!

We still have remnants of autumn here, yay! 'cos hate it when the seasons miss a beat.

One does feel a bit cheated when autumn and spring sprint through - we had a very short autumn here.

We heard on the radio that ODN was supposed to reach 27 deg today but I seriously doubt it - was freezing cold this morning and it is still dull and overcast.

I didn't consider our one cat so cute last night earlier in the evening she let a rat loose inside .... I insisted that the kids catch it before anyone could go to bed - end result very tired today we only got to bed at about 2am.

OML - we had a mouse here a few months ago, Jade initially spotted it while watching TV in the middle of the night & came flying to wake me whereby I too saw it, proceeded to die & then woke Dimitri who was disgusted with both of us who were standing screaming on the table in the passage - and there we stood for 3 hours until he found & barricaded it :toung:

A few weeks ago we had a huge (and I mean HUGE) spider in the bathroom. There were 3 guys in the house and not one of them volunteered to catch the spider to release it down the road. We have high ceilings and they were trying to get it to run downwards to an accessible level by tossing a rolled up piece of paper at it. They would take turns standing in the doorway tossing up the paper and running away. I took aim, and the paper landed close enough for the spider to 'dash' across the ceiling to the other side, where he / she promptly dropped sending me running out of the bathroom!

Now the spider decided it was best to 'hide' between the basin and the wall which is a small gap - and do you think any of the "men" would go in to get it into the jar? Oh no! They were cowering in the passage and it took me (who is petrified of spiders by the way) to get this chap into a jar (carefully pushing / pulling it along with paper) and seal it.

Gives me the heeby-jeebies just thinking about it, but if I don't do it, no-one will!

But growing up we had our fair share of field mice in the house - gifts from our darling kitties of course. And as a teenager I had a pet mouse (Nibbles) who I thought was absolutely adorable... but the other people in the commune didn't think he was so cute when he escaped from his cage one night never to be seen again...

Rain Spiders I think they are called...they come in out of the cold....we get about two a year in our bedroom....they come through the dog hatch. They are scarey but harmless I am told....give me a rat to handle any day!!!

Rain spiders (flat brown "friendly" ones) are tolerable - but anything bigger has to leave! Had two "viool" / violin spiders in the ODN house (plenty in PE) now which are highly poisonous - won't kill you but leave one hell of a nasty bite. A friend of mine in PE was bitten by one and ended up in hospital for surgery to remove the dead tissue - he now has awful scarring thanks to what he thought was a harmless spider bite.

Rain Spiders I think they are called...they come in out of the cold....we get about two a year in our bedroom....they come through the dog hatch. They are scarey but harmless I am told....give me a rat to handle any day!!!

Noooooo.....give me a spider any day - I have a thing about rats !!!!!!! Our one little cat is an excellent ratter and lately they have been clearing the empty plot next to us end result she has been catching about one a day - good but not good! Fortunately our other cat does not hunt he's only managed to catch grasshoppers - still very proud of himself though.

I'm fine with rats, spiders and even snakes. Just don't ask me to handle a worm or a moth! Butterflies are beautiful so long as they don't land on me.

Anything that can be scooped up into a pot, box or bucket and covered with a lid or any other makeshift covering is fine by me.

My son caught a large Rain Spider the size of his hand in our Grandson's bedroom last week.

My son caught a large Rain Spider the size of his hand in our Grandson's bedroom last week.

I like the rain spiders - together with lizards and geckos, they are pretty good at killing all the other bugs inside the house.