Sign in to follow this  
Timeandtide

Hi can anyone help me to identify this 3c shrike stamp.

Timeandtide

Hello every one out there...

I have been banging my head against the computer screen on this one,i have just aquired a 3 cent shrike stamp in a pale yellow / green,i can`t find any reference to this stamp, every site i have tried just throws up the crimson 3 cent shrike.

Is it an error/flaw or a different variety..?

I will post an image if i can work out how to do it.

I would be most most appreciative if anyone can help.

Regards

Glyn (timeandtide)

JohnBenn

How does it look at the back?

There seems to be colour bleeding at the perfs.Could it have gotten wet? Or bleached in the sun?

Timeandtide

Hi John...

It seems fine regarding any sort of bleaching to my eye,it appears to be mounted but i`am no expert,i will include an image of the back of the stamp for you to look at .

Regards

Glyn...58f5a732e9de7_backof3cshrike.jpg.5bb6327f0c668bac69074f40570bca88.jpg

voldermort

This stamp was left out in the sun, thus the colour has faded completely - alternatively it was washed with chemicals but I am more inclined to believe sun damage.

Timeandtide

Thanks for the reply,it seems very dramatic for sun bleaching,i would have expected it to go a lighter shade of red if that was the case.

confused

Glyn...

oaks and acorns

Hi timeandtide and welcome to the forum,

Four inks are used in printing - cyan (blue), magenta (pink), yellow and key (black) CMYK. When printing, the red is made up primarily of magenta and yellow (and perhaps a touch of cyan, depending on the hue required) so it's possible that sun exposure could have faded the magenta pigment totally resulting in what you have now.

SubtractiveColor_svg.png.4d49afb771af6d3011493fe4575c47d6.png

CMYK_color_swatches_svg.png.ba0f291be77f6be77ea1e55638d2e9c2.png

Edited by oaks and acorns
to add pics and stuff

Timeandtide

Hello and thank you for your reply.

I have just got off the phone from the guy who gave me the stamp and he said it had been in his grandfathers collection for a lot of years,and as far as he can remember the stamp has always been in this condition,unfortunatly the gentleman has passed away now so it will remain a mystery.

Kind Regards

Glyn...