Sign in to follow this  
MagicMan0027

Seller wants to change product

MagicMan0027

I bought a certain product on a BUY NOW, I even asked the seller questions on the product to which he replied.

I completed the purchase and made the payment. After I submitted proof to the seller of the payment he now emails me telling me that the wants to give me a similar product than the actual one I purchased or he will refund me. His argument is that he cannot sell the original product for the price I paid. He said that he made a mistake with the item description.

But that is NOT my problem, if you put something up for sale for a certain price and somebody buys it you cannot now after payment was made decide to replace it with a similar product of lesser quality. As mentioned before I asked questions about the item.

The seller does have the original product in stock but doesnt want to sell it at the advertised price anymore.

I'm definately not giving this seller a good rating and he will them most probably not give me a rating.

I just think this is just unfair.

Edited by MagicMan0027

Little Miss Muffet

Sellers can make genuine mistakes. Even if you asked questions he could still not have realized his mistake.

He is obliged to let you have the product but if it was me and I knew it would put him out of pocket, I would give him the benefit of the doubt and let it go.

Seeds for Africa
I bought a certain product on a BUY NOW, I even asked the seller questions on the product to which he replied.

I completed the purchase and made the payment. After I submitted proof to the seller of the payment he now emails me telling me that the wants to give me a similar product than the actual one I purchased or he will refund me. His argument is that he cannot sell the original product for the price I paid. He said that he made a mistake with the item description.

But that is NOT my problem, if you put something up for sale for a certain price and somebody buys it you cannot now after payment was made decide to replace it with a similar product of lesser quality. As mentioned before I asked questions about the item.

The seller does have the original product in stock but doesnt want to sell it at the advertised price anymore.

I'm definately not giving this seller a good rating and he will them most probably not give me a rating.

I just think this is just unfair.

I totally agree with you. The seller should provide what was described and what you bought. The fact that he is going to make a loss on it isnt any of your business. As a seller I have had the odd mistake in a listing and have ended up selling at below cost. I dont expect my buyers to pay for my mistakes!

kyle2

What you won, you should get, not your fault the seller made a loss! Please contact BidorBuy and let them know what this seller is doing, they should sort it out.

Little Miss Muffet

If I was the seller I would let the buyer have the product but if I was the buyer I would give him the benefit of the doubt

This,ofcourse, is just old softy talking.

We dont know who the seller is and his/her history.

If this is something done regularly and the rating history.

Edited by geewhizz

MsPlod
If I was the seller I would let the buyer have the product but if I was the buyer I would give him the benefit of the doubt

This,ofcourse, is just old softy talking.

We dont know who the seller is and his/her history.

If this is something done regularly and the rating history.

Geewhizz hits the nail on the head several times with this post!

Suggest that you first check the trader's ratings to see whether this is a standard approach - and if it is then get hold of hello@bidorbuy.co.za to assist you with the matter. If you asked questions about the item prior to buying then surely the trader should have noticed issues with the advert/listing then? Sounds a little fishy - although we all do make mistakes.

Good luck - not nice. One of the ways in which buying online is so different from walking into a shop. Once you leave the shop - with the item tucked under your arm, the seller/trader cannot change their mind. It's a risk we take - because there are some sterling traders on BoB.

mrmouse

He is obliged to supply the product you purchased , otherwise its really not in the spirit of good trading practises , offer to pay in a part of the difference on the correct product , meet common ground and negotiate if you really really need the item , or get your money back and buy again later .

MagicMan0027
He is obliged to supply the product you purchased , otherwise its really not in the spirit of good trading practises , offer to pay in a part of the difference on the correct product , meet common ground and negotiate if you really really need the item , or get your money back and buy again later .

It is not a big item - seller offered a Adata C905 Red 32Gb flash memory drive for R200. I asked questions about the size 32Gb and seller replied. I completed the purchase and paid. (I usually pay all the auctions I win immediately by EFT or the next morning if they close late at night.) I emailed the seller the proof of purchase. I then receive an email from the seller stating that he cannot give me the item at that price and that he has made a mistake with his listing. He offered me another 32Gb flashdrive (of lesser quality) for the same price which I refused. He has now changed his listing to a 16Gb drive for R200.

For me it is about the principle of the matter, why should a seller offer a product of lesser quality if he has made a mistake.

One thing is certain and that is that the seller will definately not get a positive rating from me !