Sign in to follow this  
SouthAfricanPicker

I want to make Bid or Buy my fulltime

Eccentric Beads

If I may add, I am now broken lol (back injury), so the choice has kinda been made for me - I have bent over backwards to try and get business to a sustainable level, and yet sit again in a slump with light's bill of R9000 to pay By month end (Tshwane municipality on a buzz..and you cannot tell them they are wrong, you must pay or be cut off!!) So after how long? (+/- 2 years), of tryin to get things right I still feel as if I am hitting my head against a brick wall! - I have just started up a website (for info and ad purposes only), have my facebook oage, and have started a blog (not that I have a clue as to what to write on it!)

Is anyone willing to give any advice as to how I can get this sustainable?

Cali Craft and Gems

When I tell others how our "little" business started, people stare in disbelief!

I was bored during lunch time at work so I started beading - making odds and ends, and ended up with several suncatchers that included beads and feathers. The only way I could think of getting rid of all these things and getting some money in to get more beads was to sell it at a market - I chose PE's Art-in-the-Park. After much organising and excitement, our first day of trading dawned on us and we loved it.

Over a period of several months, people were starting to ask if I could sell the beads, etc so that they could make their own items to which I obliged thus us introducing the "loose" beads. A short while later hubby's sister gave me a crystal and let's just say the rest is history!

I've expanded our product range through trial and error, and have found that what I currently have available "works" for me. We opened our online shop after 4 years of trading at markets, and have now opened our first walk-in store after another 5 years of being online. Our "little" business has now been going for almost 10 years - and I still can't believe it - but it is worth all the blood, sweat and tears!

My recommendations - think outside of the box, and have your fingers in several different pies (ie. variety of items)! If one area / product range is weak this month, the other or others will carry you through, and vice versa. Think of it this way - a clothing store changes it's range according to season - obviously in the height of summer a jersey will most likely not sell (as a bikini in mid-winter) so adapt your range or items according to trends and seasons. With time and practice you will find the happy medium that will work for you.

A good example is that once schools reopen, it is heading straight into the Matric Farewell "season" so offer kits or finished jewellery pieces that may appeal to the individuals who are looking for that special piece to finish an outfit. Heading towards summer you will be getting more weddings scheduled, etc. With Christmas people are looking for kits to keep the kids busy, and obviously gifts.

Edited by Cali Craft and Gems

svw
)

Is anyone willing to give any advice as to how I can get this sustainable?

Must admit it is the first time I have looked at your products - what a range - right down to the final packaging products - very impressed!

I think CCG has hit the nail on the head there are a lot of things you could make and sell - from pendants to bracelets etc...you already have everything you need to start production!

Eccentric Beads

Thank you guys! Greatly appreciated! I will try listing some of my "creations" as well -

And thank you for the compliment SVW!