Sign in to follow this  
SouthAfricanPicker

I want to make Bid or Buy my fulltime

SouthAfricanPicker    10
SouthAfricanPicker

After a string of really crappy days at work, I find myself day dreaming about quitting my useless; monotonous, mind numbing job as an administrator and concentrating on selling on BOB full time. I wont have to wake up early, deal with annoying, power hungry A@# creepers (that I would like nothing more than high 5ing in the face) and be my own boss.

One day!

Very random thought, just wanted to share:sad2:

gypseygirl    10
gypseygirl

When you really really feel the need to slap someone, go ahead, then just say "mosquito" - will make you feel a whole lot better.

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels
After a string of really crappy days at work, I find myself day dreaming about quitting my useless; monotonous, mind numbing job as an administrator and concentrating on selling on BOB full time. I wont have to wake up early, deal with annoying, power hungry A@# creepers (that I would like nothing more than high 5ing in the face) and be my own boss.

One day!

1. Please rethink!

2. Not getting up early? Think again! Is 5 ' O Clock in the morning too early?

3. Dealing with.............whatevers? Think again. They are all here....LOL

4. Making a full time living out of BOB is possible yes, but not easier!

dstorm    10
dstorm
I find myself day dreaming

Hello S.A.P.

Just do it!

I have done it in 1997 and never looked back. I drive a 15 year old Honda Ballade, stay in a very modest house in a very modest suburb and I live a very modest lifestyle.

EVERY morning when I wake up, be it Monday or Saturday, I actually look forward to the day’s work (or sometimes no work – I decide on that).

Keep well and regards

Jacques

mellowred    10
mellowred

While I agree with Jacques, the upside to being employed by someone else is that your pay-cheque is their problem.

LuckySilver    10
LuckySilver
1. Please rethink!

I fully agree with Miems! Not only do customers expect you to reply to questions and emails all times of day and night but there are also too many buyers who think that the person on the other side of a BOB store is a robot without the need to communicate in a reasonable or polite manner. For example, you may get rated neutral or negative without ever even knowing there was a problem beforehand and trying to please a customer after they have already jeapordised your reputation without any consideration to your efforts is really a tricky situation which demands as much humility and patience as dealing with any rude collegue at work.

Yes! BidorBuy is a wonderful opportunity to make a living from home, but is also hugely HUGELY demanding! I truly dont mean at all to discourage you but only to inform you of some of the challenges and necessary requirements but if you decide to go ahead - I wish you all the best of luck!!! :cool:

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello all

I must make it clear / admit that not all my income comes from BoB and maybe I am lucky because most stamp buyers and sellers are polite ant tolerant.

Nevertheless, I see every problem encountered as a challenge and I always remind myself that I alone am in control of the situation.

I agree with Luckysilver, selling on BoB is “hugely, HUGELY demanding”. But that is the fun part! Leave alone the hard work!

And when you take an evening off, there is always the Forum.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels
Hello S.A.P.

Just do it!

I have done it in 1997 and never looked back. I drive a 15 year old Honda Ballade, stay in a very modest house in a very modest suburb and I live a very modest lifestyle.

EVERY morning when I wake up, be it Monday or Saturday, I actually look forward to the day’s work (or sometimes no work – I decide on that).

Keep well and regards

Jacques

It all depends what you are selling Jacques. Coin dealers stampdealers etc. trade in high priced items! Well usually!

Ons ander moet maar hard werk!

It all depends on how much money you need to take you through the month, with all expences! House rent, water & electricity, internet food, etc.

You also need money to fill up your stock again.

Kyk maar eers goed na die voordele en nadele.:blink:

Regards

Miems

dstorm    10
dstorm
Ons ander moet maar hard werk!

Dankie Miems

Nou het jy my laat lag.

Groete

Jacques

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

From the mouth of a "top seller" - it takes a lot of guts, hard work, sacrifices, sleepless nights, etc but it IS worth it in the end.

But what ever you do, do NOT quit your day job until you are making equivalent (or more) per month online than what the company is paying you every month. If you quit whilst you are a small fish in the sea, you are going to sink before you start to swim (if you don't drown first).

Ultimately it is your decision, but don't make the right move at the wrong time - you will be very sorry.

Some words of advice: "Work for a company and let them think that you need them, then when you have a sure thing going and know for a fact that they need you, then drop the bombshell and resign - it leaves them spinning and you soaring to new heights!"

(if you know what I mean...)

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels
Dankie Miems

Nou het jy my laat lag.

Groete

Jacques

So bly om te hoor Jacques LOL.

Laat ek beter verduidelik.....Goed,....

Sou 'n persoon 'n goeie werk he, met 'n goeie inkomste, sal ek nie daardie persoon aanraai om sy werk te bedank om 'n lewe uit Bidorbuy te maak nie.

Sou jy NIE 'n werk he nie, go for it, Bidorbuy is dan jou antwoord. Risikos ingesluit!

Dan natuuuuuurlik baie dae se lang ure werk ens. dan ja, BOB'S your uncle!

Groete

Miems

Edited by MiemsJewels

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels
From the mouth of a "top seller" - it takes a lot of guts, hard work, sacrifices, sleepless nights, etc but it IS worth it in the end.

But what ever you do, do NOT quit your day job until you are making equivalent (or more) per month online than what the company is paying you every month. If you quit whilst you are a small fish in the sea, you are going to sink before you start to swim (if you don't drown first).

Ultimately it is your decision, but don't make the right move at the wrong time - you will be very sorry.

Some words of advice: "Work for a company and let them think that you need them, then when you have a sure thing going and know for a fact that they need you, then drop the bombshell and resign - it leaves them spinning and you soaring to new heights!"

(if you know what I mean...)

High 5 calli! Exactly what I mean!!

alloway65    10
alloway65

To achieve your financial Goals in life whatever you do it takes very very hard work and dedication....you should never look at the clock.

Set yourself Goals every day and do your utmost to achieve the Goals you have set.

I have been an employee, an employer and self employed....each one has its challenges and rewards.

To me BoB is a hobby....I could not do what the top BoB sellers do....list and sell many thousands of low and medium priced items....this would be hard work to me!

Numismatic and Philatelic BoB buyers & sellers are the greatest.....hardly ever a problem.

Good luck with whatever career path you finally decide on.

Edited by alloway65
& sellers added....sorry!!!!

qball    11
qball
1. Please rethink!

Aaaah, but the reward is your own! :cool:

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE
To achieve your financial Goals in life whatever you do it takes very very hard work and dedication....you should never look at the clock.

Set yourself Goals every day and do your utmost to achieve the Goals you have set.

I have been an employee, an employer and self employed....each one has its challenges and rewards.

To me BoB is a hobby....I could not do what the top BoB sellers do....list and sell many thousands of low and medium priced items....this would be hard work to me!

Numismatic and Philatelic BoB buyers are the greatest.....hardly ever a problem.

Good luck with whatever career path you finally decide on.

This is perfectly said-Exactly as written above and true in every sense-i have experienced all of the above and can only vouch for what is written here.Nicely done

Thank you.NEIL

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
This is perfectly said-Exactly as written above and true in every sense-i have experienced all of the above and can only vouch for what is written here.Nicely done

Thank you.NEIL

Ditto.

I always remember this wise counsel:

" Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time."

SouthAfricanPicker    10
SouthAfricanPicker

Thank you for all of the fantastic comments. For now, I shall remain an administrator by day(YAWN) and a Bobber by night until I am ready to take the plunge!

svw    10
svw

One day!

If you are thinking of giving up your job to sell full time on bob I think that the advise given by the other forum members is totally correct.

I have also been in the situation of being an employee and employer with our own businesses. One thing about being your own boss and owning your own business is that you don't have to answer to anyone BUT it can also be a jail sentence without the bars. I have been selling on bidorbuy fulltime for a little over a year now and thoroughly enjoy it. Fortunately I don't have to rely on my earnings for me this is still a hobby as I still have a small business manufacturing pet beds and accessories. Although I work from home and my biggest problem has always been either separating myself from work or forcing myself to work - it certainly requires a lot of self discipline!

oaks and acorns    10
oaks and acorns
CHECK MY LOGO!

Like like like !

Edited by oaks and acorns

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels
Thank you for all of the fantastic comments. For now, I shall remain an administrator by day(YAWN) and a Bobber by night until I am ready to take the plunge!

You can still sell on BOB in your part time. Make it your hobby, then....:biggrin:

dstorm    10
dstorm
BUT it can also be a jail sentence without the bars.

Yes, the freedom of my chains.....

mellowred    10
mellowred
....... Although I work from home and my biggest problem has always been either separating myself from work or forcing myself to work - it certainly requires a lot of self discipline!

That is the problem. It can be ongoing 18hr days or you can get that little thought that you have no-one to answer to so "it can be done tomorrow" And we all know that little ditty about tomorrow.:cry:

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Monday to Friday - three alarms go off between 7am and 7:45am. I eventually crawl out of bed at 8am. Gulp down a cup of coffee whilst checking emails. Leave for the post office by 8:15am then to the shop which opens at 9am. At the shop until closing time (5pm to 5:30pm), then home. Hubby prepares supper whilst I head off to the office. Take a 30 to 45 minute "break" for supper, then back to the office until around midnight. Crawl into bed, then a few hours later it starts all over again.

Saturdays are basically the same, except that the shop closes at 2pm. Sundays are a 'blessing' as only the 7:45am alarm is set. This is the only day I can have "off" - if I choose to! Last weekend we had business to do in George so we hit the road early, but most Sundays' I am in the office for about 90% of the day / evening. Once in a while I just get "gatvol" and want a change of scenery so we go for a drive on a Sunday, but only if everything (including housework) is up to date...

Tough? Yes

Long hours? Most definitely

Rewarding? Oh yeah - what you put in is what you get out!

But as someone has said before - the hours you dedicate to your business is your decision - you can give it one hour a day, or fifteen - it is up to you - you are not bound by extremely long hours! The amount of time I put in on CCG is my choice - but mainly because I do everything - except for the updates which I have finally trained hubby to do - now if only he would learn how to do listings or to operate the till and credit card machine...

alloway65    10
alloway65
Monday to Friday - three alarms go off between 7am and 7:45am. I eventually crawl out of bed at 8am. Gulp down a cup of coffee whilst checking emails. Leave for the post office by 8:15am then to the shop which opens at 9am. At the shop until closing time (5pm to 5:30pm), then home. Hubby prepares supper whilst I head off to the office. Take a 30 to 45 minute "break" for supper, then back to the office until around midnight. Crawl into bed, then a few hours later it starts all over again.

Saturdays are basically the same, except that the shop closes at 2pm. Sundays are a 'blessing' as only the 7:45am alarm is set. This is the only day I can have "off" - if I choose to! Last weekend we had business to do in George so we hit the road early, but most Sundays' I am in the office for about 90% of the day / evening. Once in a while I just get "gatvol" and want a change of scenery so we go for a drive on a Sunday, but only if everything (including housework) is up to date...

Tough? Yes

Long hours? Most definitely

Rewarding? Oh yeah - what you put in is what you get out!

But as someone has said before - the hours you dedicate to your business is your decision - you can give it one hour a day, or fifteen - it is up to you - you are not bound by extremely long hours! The amount of time I put in on CCG is my choice - but mainly because I do everything - except for the updates which I have finally trained hubby to do - now if only he would learn how to do listings or to operate the till and credit card machine...

You deserve a Medal......you remind me of my Corporate days....seven days a week and twelve hours a day. Semi retirement is great.