Sign in to follow this  
svw

This is why firearms should be banned.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

As a gun owner, I cannot but disagree. As horrific as this is, it is not the 'fault' of the gun. A gun, 'long arm' or 'short arm' is an inanimate object. It, by itself, does not hurt, maim or kill anyone or anything.

It is not the 'fault' of the firearm or the manufacturer. I do not feel guns should be banned nor should the manufacturer / licensed dealer be fined / penalized for manufacturing / selling them. Irresponsible people should be banned from owning / having access to firearms.

Ban firearms and all one does is take guns away from honest, law-abiding, responsible folk. Criminals and misfits will still find a way to get their fingers on guns and use them in a way for which they were not intended.

Ban guns and pretty soon it will be knives and forks, dinner plates, pots and pans and gravel in the driveway. All, in the wrong hands, if used in ways for which they were not intended, can become 'lethal' weapons.

Ruthie

Edited by Not1CentMore

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

This is why anyone wishing to own (or even handle) a weapon should be made to go through a truly rigorous licensing process before a licence is granted. Also why ALL ballistic weapons should be microchipped (or something similar) to allow ID.

Man oh man - did that eedjit soldier ask for that or WHAT?? Darwin Award special mention.

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Ruthie has some very valid points! It is what MAN does with an item that makes it dangerous or not! (Same applies to a motor vehicle - can be a useful mode of transport, or a lethal "weapon"!)

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
As a gun owner, I cannot but disagree. As horrific as this is, it is not the 'fault' of the gun. A gun, 'long arm' or 'short arm' is an inanimate object. It, by itself, does not hurt, maim or kill anyone or anything.

It is not the 'fault' of the firearm or the manufacturer. I do not feel guns should be banned nor should the manufacturer / licensed dealer be fined / penalized for manufacturing / selling them. Irresponsible people should be banned from owning / having access to firearms.

Ban firearms and all one does is take guns away from honest, law-abiding, responsible folk. Criminals and misfits will still find a way to get their fingers on guns and use them in a way for which they were not intended.

Ban guns and pretty soon it will be knives and forks, dinner plates, pots and pans and gravel in the driveway. All, in the wrong hands, if used in ways for which they were not intended, can become 'lethal' weapons.

Ruthie

In principle I do agree with you too Ruthie (used to own guns for target shooting, etc.) - however my children handle knives, forks, plates, and gravel daily - sometimes with violent intent, and the worst injuries to date have required a dab of antiseptic and a band-aid. A loaded AK-47 (or even simply a .22 target pistol) in those same hands can inflict far greater damage in real terms.

For me the issue here is less about adults being lawfully qualified to own/use a weapon, it is about a child/chimpanzee getting hold of one, with diminished understanding of the consequences.

Edited by MsPlod
Posted before finishing...

Jongleur    10
Jongleur

It has been said, rather cynically, that man was created and then the

gun made them equal.

Perhaps certain warlords would like to see primates step up a gear.

svw    10
svw

Admittedly this is a very debatable subject.

My opinion changed after having lived in Botswana for more than a decade. Not just anyone is allowed to own a firearm like we have been allowed to do in South Africa. Many people own hunting rifles including foreign hunters that come into the country but the relevant paperwork etc, etc, etc, has to be in order. Although there are house breakins mainly by foreigners of neighbouring countries hardly ever is a firearm involved - here in South Africa it is the other way around usually resulting in serious injury or worse of the victims. Unfortunately in the past most people here owned firearms but they were usually stored under the bed, in a draw etc making it very easy for burglars to gain access to these end result being that there are more illegal firearms in the hands of the "wrong people".

zerohour    10
zerohour

Just to set the record straight, the chimp with ak47 video is a hoax ; it’s viral marketing for “Rise of the Planet of the Apes.” movie

svw    10
svw
Just to set the record straight, the chimp with ak47 video is a hoax ; it’s viral marketing for “Rise of the Planet of the Apes.” movie

LOL - Wondered how long it would take for someone to click!!!!!!

But many a true word or should I say video in this instance said in jest.

By the way loved the movie - certainly makes one think.

Edited by svw
Great movie.

mellowred    10
mellowred

The problem with outlawing guns is that they will still be in the hands of criminals. IMO the only way to solve that is for the police to be armed, and if you are seen with a gun in your hand the police have the right to shoot you - dead :surprised: - on the spot. No questions asked.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

I live in South Africa--I want a monkey and a gun.

I found this hilarious.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I hate guns with a passion!

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
I hate guns with a passion!

I hate what guns can do to lives, people and animals with a passion

But shooting at inanimate targets is just crazy fun!!

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

:shock:Was JM there?? Pity he got away.

svw    10
svw
:shock:Was JM there?? Pity he got away.

Nah - He was visiting Uncle Bob

Pathway    10
Pathway

Has anyone tried to get a gun licence lately? It's easier to get a university degree(a real one, not a bought one), and quicker too. Criminals are fully armed, people who want to protect themselves are penalised to the nth degree. And if you dare shoot at someone who is tresapassing on your property, or in your house, you are the criminal and he is the victim! Aikona.

TS Ron    10
TS Ron

You can not use one person the punish the world for acting in a inhumane way. I agree with you Ruthie I also was totally anti weapons but some one once said are we going to ban tooth brushes as well..Anybody can make a dangerous weapon from the any item in the home you shall be surprised? People should be taught to act in a responsible manner.

svw    10
svw

Cute litte poem in support of the SPCA - " Dogs are better than guns "

* A dog is cuddly

* A dog remains loyal to its owner

* Kids can play with a dog and remain protected at the same time

* A dog can scare away an intruder before he breaks in

* A dog can tell the difference between an intruder and a family member in the dark

* If an intruder attacks, you don't have to waste precious seconds to unlock the cabinet to get out the dog

* You can take a dog to the beach and other public places

* You don't have to carry a concealed dog, it can walk by itself and is a visible deterrant to attackers

* If your dog is stolen it can't be used against you

* A dog works when you are asleep or away

* A dog will love you

oaks and acorns    10
oaks and acorns
I hate what guns can do to lives, people and animals with a passion

But shooting at inanimate targets is just crazy fun!!

Archery appeals to me, a lot. Never tried it but reckon it would be mega kewl, perhaps some day.