Sign in to follow this  
MacMuffin

Outage on 13th April

MacMuffin    0
MacMuffin

Hi there,

as you will have noticed, we started suffering from an outage yesterday from around 18:20 onwards. We verified within minutes, that all our servers were working as excepted (i.e. no issue with load or excessive requests), but did notice that some servers were unable to respond to requests. Although all our servers accepted requests and returned data, it felt like it was "swallowed" on the edge of our network. We then contacted Internet Solutions at 18:30 and had their networking engineers looking at the situation. It took until 6am this morning for the problem to be resolved and we are still unsure about the cause and resolution.

While for some people the forum and blog and main-website was accessible (albeit slow or requiring reloads), the user experience was not consistent and as we expected. Our page load times (we are used to 5-10 seconds) degraded to 50-60 seconds which was due to outbound traffic dropping on the network edge. Across our two racks this outage did not only affect forum, blog, main website, but did also affect our other companies (i.e. FindPrice and Classifieds). What made it more frustrating is that our Kenya website (which is hosted in the same rack as bidorbuy.co.za) did not show the same symptoms.

Since about 7am everything is back to normal and we are still awaiting a detailed report from Internet Solutions about the root cause - last feedback was that nothing had changed on their side which puzzles us as problems just don't magically appear/disappear. We are aware that Internet Solutions also received a high number of tickets for the Bryanston campus from other clients and we are still monitoring the situation.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and will provide more detailed feedback over the weekend. If you still experience issues, please post your connectivity problems here.

voldermort    10
voldermort

I am still experiencing the same problems - I have been unable to list anything now for days due to this and even when just looking at items, (mine or other sellers) the images either refuse to load or load only halfway.

brands online    10
brands online

Hi, I am also still experiencing slow load times and pages hanging ie. they begin to open and then just freeze. Forum works fine though.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Browsing seems to be normal again.

But all the images are not loading....for example where I have five images in a listing only three appear.And half the "Buy now's" below the listing are without images.

Oh yes....THANKS!!!

Lukeness    10
Lukeness

The BoB homepage doesn't open at all for me now.

catzcan    10
catzcan

Same problems here as well. Have to refresh 3-4 times befor a page loads

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

There are definitely still problems, I've been trying for an hour to get into the site, now I'm in but its terribly slow.

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

I've been having problems since Friday afternoon. Since early this morning, I've only been able to access 3 times, and only for a few minutes each. My question is now : what about paid auctions and also banners that have been paid for for exposure. We are not getting much, or any exposure. Will we be compensated or how will this problem be addressed?

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

Something is still amiss here...something big. Just after posting (above) the system bombed out again and I've only just been able to gain access. Time frame....that's for the IT dept. Our clocks don't seem to be the same. I will not even attempt to edit listings as last night's listings were a disaster! I think this weekend is going to be a total blow-out where auctions are concerned. Sorry to all those with paid listings and banners (me included):notrust::cry:

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

Cant get into anything on bidorbuy other than the forum.

amcintyre    10
amcintyre

Only the forum seems to be working :cry:

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
Cant get into anything on bidorbuy other than the forum.

Any update on what is happenning / being done about it - bidorbuy?

voldermort    10
voldermort

Must agree with Miss Jewels - I haven't put any ads up for a few days because of this & I shan't be attempting to do so this weekend either, editing as well will have to go on the back burner for now - not only due to the impossibility of doing so but because it seems too risky to do anything for the few random moments here & there when BoB seems to be working correctly. I really hope this is sorted by Monday.

Gem Shop    10
Gem Shop

We are still experiencing extremely slow response times from BOB

We are still experiencing extremely slow response times from BOB

I can log in...go to one sale (whilst processing payments) send one email to buyer and then nothing..

I have to close my browser...open it again go to BOB and restart the process

wayjen    10
wayjen

Losing money are we????

BoB is down once again.

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE

Seems to be a battle to login.but once logged in then everything seems to work ok ,but still a little slower than it should.

neil

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

Slower than snot this side. Getting into the forum is 'spinning wheels' on black ice....not going anywhere except maybe in the ditch.

While waiting for the Forum to load, I was able to brew / make / drink a double espresso, double mocha on the rocks (with a splash of milk) in a tall glass; load the dishwasher, start a load of laundry, touch up and fold a buncha-buncha towels / washclothes, clean out the litter pan and go grocery shopping (in town - 15 miles one way). :bigsmile:

Well...maybe not THAT long, but close.

Perhaps it was / still is April Fool meeting Friday the 13th 'head-on'.

Ruthie

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Toooooooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!!

This must be HELL for traders!

brands online    10
brands online
I've been having problems since Friday afternoon. Since early this morning, I've only been able to access 3 times, and only for a few minutes each. My question is now : what about paid auctions and also banners that have been paid for for exposure. We are not getting much, or any exposure. Will we be compensated or how will this problem be addressed?

I had quite a few auctions close last night as well, sad to say no last few minute bids...:cry:

MacMuffin    0
MacMuffin

Hi there - Internet Solutions isolated a problem on one of their core switches and have restored service. The site behaves now more fluid and the way we are used to it. How does everyone else find it?

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

I could not get into BOB last night but everything from my side has run smoothly all day

I have been able to access everything including loading with ease.

wayjen    10
wayjen

Running like magic.

admin    0
admin
Running like magic.

Ditto, running like MACgic :biggrin:

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

It does seem to be working as normal again and have had a few orders so thats testimony that all must be in order.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Thank you Mac and Admin.