Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seeds for Africa

Cash deposit confusing to buyers

11 posts in this topic

I am not sure if this has been bought up before but I have had this issue a number of times. A buyer buys, makes a cash deposit and adds the R16.50. They then get an email from bob stating "Please note that the amount paid differs from the expected amount for the order of RXYZ." They then believe that they have overpaid (because bidorbuy have told them that the amount differs from what was expected) irrespective of the fact that the R16.50 cash depsoit fee is very clearly highlighted.

My question is can bidorbuy change the system that when buyers actually pay R16.50 in cash deposit fees that it doesnt tell them in the bobpay confirmation that the amount differs to what was expected?

I am sure I am not the only one who has had this issue with buyers.

On the same token, I had this email from a buyer today

"I won’t be able to get to a bank anytime soon to deposit R16.50 you see previously I have bought stuff from bid or buy and when I deposited the extra R16.50 with the payment I got a message from bid or buy stating I have payed extra so from then I have stopped paying the extra R16.50 and the transaction went as normal and got whatever I bought/won"

My answer to that is 1) Bidorbuys email is incorrect - please call them to clarify. 2) I cant comment on what other sellers do, however our policy is that orders are not shipped until orders (including bank charges and shipping) is paid in full.

I would appreciate bidorbuys comments as this creates confusion with buyers and sellers!

Yes, that R16.50 is very confusing to some Buyers and no matter how clearly you word it, they still make mistakes.

I am not sure if this has been bought up before but I have had this issue a number of times. A buyer buys, makes a cash deposit and adds the R16.50. They then get an email from bob stating "Please note that the amount paid differs from the expected amount for the order of RXYZ." They then believe that they have overpaid (because bidorbuy have told them that the amount differs from what was expected) irrespective of the fact that the R16.50 cash depsoit fee is very clearly highlighted.

My question is can bidorbuy change the system that when buyers actually pay R16.50 in cash deposit fees that it doesnt tell them in the bobpay confirmation that the amount differs to what was expected?

I am sure I am not the only one who has had this issue with buyers.

On the same token, I had this email from a buyer today

"I won’t be able to get to a bank anytime soon to deposit R16.50 you see previously I have bought stuff from bid or buy and when I deposited the extra R16.50 with the payment I got a message from bid or buy stating I have payed extra so from then I have stopped paying the extra R16.50 and the transaction went as normal and got whatever I bought/won"

My answer to that is 1) Bidorbuys email is incorrect - please call them to clarify. 2) I cant comment on what other sellers do, however our policy is that orders are not shipped until orders (including bank charges and shipping) is paid in full.

I would appreciate bidorbuys comments as this creates confusion with buyers and sellers!

And the details are highlighted in red. At first I thought BoB had given me a negative rating

or some such like admonishment. I was petrified of Magistraat Cuan or Andries coming to attach

my newly acquired goods. That is how unnerving it can be to a new buyer. But the lady I spoke

to at BoB explained everything very nicely to me which made me feel a lot better. All those ladies

are a pleasure to deal with. Efficiency personified!

The system sees the purchase amount including shipping if applicable, and must show that amount, it won't know if the buyer makes a cash payment until they actually make the payment and we manually confirm it, as this cannot be automated (we manually check cash deposits daily). The notification is there to notify sellers that a cash payment has been made and that the buyer's payment amount is over the "expected" amount. We will look at other options to alleviate the problem, but changing the wording might not solve it, as many users simply do not read... :awesome:

One should just apply common sense... :wacko:

But until commonsense prevails, surely there must be another way of doing things, Cuan? It is confusing - especially for newcomers to BoB.

Unfortunately there is not, not without major development and an overhaul of the checkout process. Most people were born with common sense, it's up to them to use it! We have tried to make it as clear as possible... some people simply don't read. It's not confusing if you apply common sense to it. As I said, we will look at it from other angles but it won't be an immediate fix.

Thanks for your replies Cuan. Hopefully something can be done (especially as cash deposits are manually posted). It is very definitely common sense however some people try to avoid whats common sense or as you say just simply dont read!

Thanks

Grant

I hear you Grant, you'll be amazed at how many people don't read...

I hear you Grant, you'll be amazed at how many people don't read...

Too true! - This is a problem that occurs mainly with new buyers once they have made a few purchases on bob they get the hang of things. The most common thing I find is when they do an EFT they include the R16.50 cash deposit fee - all I do to refund it is to pop the R16.50 into their parcel with a little note.

I have had two buyers recently who made BoB EFTs who also added the R16.50. Obviously the message shows that the amount paid is different from the expected amount. Even if it states clearly that EFTs require no extra charges, it's still confusing for new buyers. Shame! It is difficult to refund all those extras, as you have to load them all as beneficiaries on your bank account?

It is difficult to refund all those extras, as you have to load them all as beneficiaries on your bank account?

If buyers overpay we let them know and pop cash into an envelope in their parcel. A lot easier and cheaper.

This is the exact response I got from a buyer after he thought he overpaid R16, 50 after completion of the order.

I think the red message and the wording is confusing to buyers.

My e-mail was in response to a message in red on BOB indicating you got R72.50 when you were expecting R56 !