Sign in to follow this  
kassem_ezz

Register with SARS As Importer

Miss Jewels

The info is correct, except they are not telling you what the "percentage" is.

Normally it's calculated as follows: 10% on the value, plus 20% import tax, plus 14% vat on the final total. You can also phone Deon Muller at Cape Mail Post Office as customs share offices with them, and get the exact costs involved. He assists me with all my parcels.

Another thing....do not wake sleeping dogs! :notrust:

I phone SARS just now. The guy told me that customs will charge a percentage of the value of the goods on the invoice, regardless of what the shipping costs are. I told him that Im expecting an overseas parcel and it is a free shipping, so would that cause any problems or would I need to do anything to clarify this in order not get charged more? He told me that no matter what my shipping costs are, I would only be charged for the value of the goods as provided by the invoice.

Should I phone SARS again and try to talk to another person just to make sure?

kassem_ezz
The info is correct, except they are not telling you what the "percentage" is.

Normally it's calculated as follows: 10% on the value, plus 20% import tax, plus 14% vat on the final total. You can also phone Deon Muller at Cape Mail Post Office as customs share offices with them, and get the exact costs involved. He assists me with all my parcels.

Another thing...

Thx Miss Jewels... U r right about the duty taxes (import duty and excise duty) and the vat... I actually spoke to a woman earlier from SARS

and she helped me calculate the taxes which are to be imposed on my coming parcel.

do not wake sleeping dogs! :notrust:

:awesome::awesome: Nobody wants that.

I have been reading, phoning, asking everywhere from this forum to the Post Office next to me to the SARS website for few days now so I will be taking a rest now :awesome:. I won't try to awaken any sleepng dogs unless they mess up with my parcel, then I'm unleashing my dogs:biggrin:.. just kidding

kassem_ezz

So.... I finally got it.... Here is the whole story:

the parcel arrived at the customs on 20th of april, stayed there for 8 days, kept moving between WITSPOS (HUB) and JHB INT MAIL CENTRE (HUB) back and forth for few days, it finally got to the post office on saturday evening, I fetched it on monday 30th of April. I fetched the parcel from the post office as soon as I saw that they have the parcel (from online tracking) and before sending me the picking slip.

From what I understood from the invoice from SAPO and from the amount I paid, these will be the fees I need to pay every time I import:

VAT (14%) on (the value of the goods + 10%) +

Custom duties (if applicable) +

Excise duties (if applicable) +

Clearance Fees(R30)

So for this shipment, I didn't need an importers code. SAPO took care of handling the import process and I paid them the Clearance fee.

I don't know if this will be the case for any future shipments.

mrmouse

customs also have a idea of what the product is worth so dont bull them , also if you bring in more than a certain amount of items in a shipment they classify that as to be resold there they can clear it under a 4.... code or you can get a import permit for around R950.

its also not necassary to get a permit to import and export if you only import .my Sars permit cost R4000. because the items I import didnt have a customs code and one had to be dug up for me .