Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kassem_ezz

Register with SARS As Importer

28 posts in this topic

Hi...

I ordered some stuff online from overseas. It's my first time ever that I order from overseas.

I phoned SARS to know what will the duties be on the import. I got what I needed but then the lady from SARS told

me that I need to register as an importer with SARS to be able to import. I told her that its not a big parcel and it's a small value. She said its all the same, you need to register.

I thought that the courier company will take care of everything??

I just wanted to know if any sellers here (who are individuals like me and not a company) have regsitered before

they could start importing and selling on bidorbuy.

Any help and suggestions are most appreciated.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable regarding imports will reply Kassem, but I beleive your SARS lady got the wrong end of the stick. So long as SARS receive their income from someone, they are not in favour of creating unneccesary clients.

She may have assumed that you will be importing on a regular basis. From what I understand, you have simply "bought" something from an overseas seller.

You do need an importers code if you import more than 3 items a year i think.:ninja:

You can receive one gift per year duty free...if the supplier marks it as a gift.:cool:

However your parcel does get processed a lot faster if you have a importers code on the parcel. I think importers codes are mainly for business purposes though. Tax returns, book keeping etc.

I have a importers code.:bigsmile:

SARS wants to keep track of you my boy....

Edited by ATOMICSQUIRREL

I bring in coins from the US Mint and from other Coin Dealers in the USA and in most cases they are just delivered to my door by the designated Courier.

When I bring in Medical Goods for my medical supply business I use my Import permit.

Speak to a Supervisor at the SARS Customs...you should really not have a problem without a permit....you will be charged VAT and maybe 20% Duty+++!!!!

You do need an importers code if you import on a regular basis (3 parcels or more from the same supplier in any given year)

Item value under R500.00 does not currently have the import tax, only VAT

Jewlery is currently calculated as follows: 10% on the value of the ring (exhange rate calculated on date of arrival of item in SA), 20% import tax, 14% VAT, plus PO handling charges.

Worst case is R2000 penalty on any parcel (they randomly select) until you can supply importers code. I escaped this for more than a year but then they started holding my parcels. I've paid out R4000 in penalties to date. I now have an importers code which I took over from a lady who sold her business.

Registering as an importer/exporter can be done via the internet. You do not have to do this if you're a private person earning a "side income". Once turnover exceeds R450 000 per year, you will have to register, because they can pick up your total imports via the customs log book.

You do not need an importers code if you import more than 3 items a year i think.:ninja:

You can receive one gift per year duty free...if the supplier marks it as a gift.:cool:

However your parcel does get processed a lot faster if you have a importers code on the parcel. I think importers codes are mainly for business purposes though. Tax returns, book keeping etc.

I have a importers code.:bigsmile:

SARS wants to keep track of you my boy....

so up to R450000 per year you do not need an importers code...?

Miems you must be loaded hey?:biggrin:

Um....In general..over R450 000 anyone has to register. So whether it's just a small business:, importing, selling, etc, you will need to register at SARS. Sorry, maybe I was not clear enough:biggrin:

Thx all for the replies and for the really valuable and helpfull information.

@Miss Jewels: Thx for clearing out so much issues for me. UR a jewel.

I think I will pass on applying for importers Code at the moment.

I have already made the order and the shipment is on its way.

I will wait and see. I will keep you informed.

Thx again

Edited by kassem_ezz

Tell them to mark as a gift!!!!!!???:biggrin:

Overseas suppliers hate it when you ask that.

Actually, they've now got clever.:bigsmile: If you ask them to declare a lower value and include a lower value invoice in the parcel, they charge you a minimal amount. So now they're actually very happy to oblige. I have 2 of these suppliers so don't know how long it's going to take before they all follow suit.

Thx all for the replies and for the really valuable and helpfull information.

@Miss Jewels: Thx for clearing out so much issues for me. UR a jewel.

I think I will pass on applying for importers Code at the moment.

I have already made the order and the shipment is on its way.

I will wait and see. I will keep you informed.

Thx again

The MOST important thing is: Ask the sellers NOT to miss-declare the items. They must attach an invoice with the CORRECT amount!

Tell them to mark as a gift!!!!!!???:biggrin:

Overseas suppliers hate it when you ask that.

NEVER do that! Customs will rip you to pieces!

When customs needs a declaration, they ask for the invoice, description as well as the prove of payment.

The MOST important thing is: Ask the sellers NOT to miss-declare the items. They must attach an invoice with the CORRECT amount!

This happened to me last year with a new Chinese supplier, the import paperwork only reflected 50% of the actual US$ amount remitted overseas...they thought they were doing me a favor! In advance of the new stock/paperwork arriving I gave a full explanation to my Bank and all was OK!:noworry:

I experienced the following:

Client sent a value with the package for a lesser value than I paid. I submitted the explination from the seller to FedEx & customs. According to their terms, you are charged import tax on the value of the item/s. Needless to say, I paid import tax for the lower value. And this is not illegal! This is according to the terms of the SA customs. The seller stated that x is his value. It was my choice to pay a higher amount. This is not a one-off, but purely because I did my homework on import taxes. Customs were happy with the explination and also that everything was above board.

I experienced the following:

Client sent a value with the package for a lesser value than I paid. I submitted the explination from the seller to FedEx & customs. According to their terms, you are charged import tax on the value of the item/s. Needless to say, I paid import tax for the lower value. And this is not illegal! This is according to the terms of the SA customs. The seller stated that x is his value. It was my choice to pay a higher amount. This is not a one-off, but purely because I did my homework on import taxes. Customs were happy with the explination and also that everything was above board.

Can we really do this???

So homework pays off Miss Jewels.

I have the email from FedEx confirming this. Whether they now put their foot in it, I don't know, but when certain of my parcels come in and the value is stated lower than my invoice, I remind them of their policy. Normally, from my larger suppliers, this is not the case. As the saying goes...you win some, you lose some.

Can we really do this???

Are the shipping costs included in the declared value, or the declared value is just the price of the goods?

Import tax is paid on the value of the item only, excluding shipping. Also be careful of overseas seller advertising free shipping. In this case, customs will decide what a "realistic" shipping charge is and add this to the price. They do not take too lightly to "free shipping".

Are the shipping costs included in the declared value, or the declared value is just the price of the goods?

I've figured out that it depends on who the customs official is who handles your parcel as to whether you are charged extra duty or not. It's a crazy, mixed-up set-up that needs serious attention!

I've figured out that it depends on who the customs official is who handles your parcel as to whether you are charged extra duty or not. It's a crazy, mixed-up set-up that needs serious attention!

I couldnt agree more strongly!!!

Import tax is paid on the value of the item only, excluding shipping. Also be careful of overseas seller advertising free shipping. In this case, customs will decide what a "realistic" shipping charge is and add this to the price. They do not take too lightly to "free shipping".

So is there something we need to do when we get a free-shipped parcel to avoid having the customs add to the value of parcel?

Or we just have to live with it?

I phone SARS just now. The guy told me that customs will charge a percentage of the value of the goods on the invoice, regardless of what the shipping costs are. I told him that Im expecting an overseas parcel and it is a free shipping, so would that cause any problems or would I need to do anything to clarify this in order not get charged more? He told me that no matter what my shipping costs are, I would only be charged for the value of the goods as provided by the invoice.

Should I phone SARS again and try to talk to another person just to make sure?

Unfortunately another person...another (different) answer......the decision is with the person at Customs who handles your package.:unsure: