Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
svw

Help - bit of advice needed !

20 posts in this topic

I was busy wrapping parcels and my one dog has just consumed one and a half packets of siclica "keep moisture out of handbags etc." - how harmfull is it?

Hi svw

Generally these slilica gel sachets aren't poisonous, there are some with poisonous substances in though.

My advice would be to take the dog and one of the sachets to the vet, or call your vet for advice.

Edited by Virgotec

I would contact a vet as soon as you can and seek advice. I don't think its poisonous, but the silica absorbs moisture and may cause adverse side effects to your dog.

Thanks all!

Got some advice from vet - he should be fine. The silica is non-toxic only real problem could be a blockage or upset stomach if enough is consumed, fortunately he is a large dog "weighs in at 61kg" and he would have to eat alot to have an effect.

Hallo Sue,

Just saw the post now, you are always welcome to contact me personally for advice on your dogs, i am a Ethologist in Dog Behaviour and Grooming and are busy with my Pet Medic's Certificate - you can also find me on Facebook, i will PM the link to you!

Kind Regards,

Mari'

Hallo Sue,

Just saw the post now, you are always welcome to contact me personally for advice on your dogs, i am a Ethologist in Dog Behaviour and Grooming and are busy with my Pet Medic's Certificate - you can also find me on Facebook, i will PM the link to you!

Kind Regards,

Mari'

Thanks Mari'

Much appreciated! Our lot are always getting into something from drinking biodiesel, chewing batteries and the one has a fetish for socks!!! The saying a Rhodesian Ridgeback eats anything definiately rings true - certainly teaches one to "tidy up".

Regards

Sue

22.jpg.1dc10d7f8310325c930bef64ca96fba9.jpgDried out constipated dog! Shame................

Thanks all!

he is a large dog "weighs in at 61kg" .

Is that the weight of your ridgeback?

Imagine a dehydrated, constipated dog for the entire long week-end! Too awful to contemplate so hope he wakes up fit as a fiddle tomorrow morning!

Is that the weight of your ridgeback?

Yep - he is a large very muscular stocky ridgeback - maybe a little overweight my vet seems to think so ?

Juba.jpg.c769d9c4a6dedc42471b09b6811bdf1d.jpg

@svw - he looks tough enough to withstand a little silica gel! Hope he's okay today! And he's a magnificent creature!

Wow! Magnificent fellow!

@svw - he looks tough enough to withstand a little silica gel! Hope he's okay today! And he's a magnificent creature!

Thanks lily - he is fine absolutely no side effects !

Well perhaps someone has an idea as to why half a pot of barley soup should give our labrador (Ruby) such smelly farts today? Perhaps she is the one who should have eaten the silica gel? And my problem is she will persist in lying right at my feet, no matter where I am.

"Speak oh toothless one" is her motto for the day.

Yep - he is a large very muscular stocky ridgeback - maybe a little overweight my vet seems to think so ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2999[/ATTACH]

Pay no attention to what YOUR vet tells you. Rather be concerned about what your ridgeback's vet tells you.

Just my opinion.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

Well perhaps someone has an idea as to why half a pot of barley soup should give our labrador (Ruby) such smelly farts today? Perhaps she is the one who should have eaten the silica gel? And my problem is she will persist in lying right at my feet, no matter where I am.

Perhaps you should ask "dstorm" his beast Donderstorm is apparently an expert in that department

How is the Cockatoo doing?

The Beak has recovered extremely well from his operation, thanks for asking, bon len! He's back to ruling the roost and taking his tempers out on poor ol' MrA!

The Beak has recovered extremely well from his operation, thanks for asking, bon len! He's back to ruling the roost and taking his tempers out on poor ol' MrA!

I had a Bare-Eyed Cockatoo that was a temperamental little bugger. Eventually we sorted out a hen

for him and he is now breeding in Gauteng. He bit the living daylights out of everyone except me.

His favourite treat was half a cooked gem squash or sweet potato.

The Beak's main diet is imported fruit & veg pellets (truly expensive at R170 for 1 kg) from Belgium, supported by a variety of fresh fruit and veges daily. Our local vet has run out of the expensive pellets (please pray they'll be in next week!) so The Beak is extremely put-out by having to eat similar " fruit noodles" which Checkers sell but cost less than a third of the price. He just "beaks" them out of the bowl, spreading them all around his large aviary and is now only eating them when we aren't looking. And, of course, he's barking his head off because he's not happy (he mimics our little maltese's barking - which is DREADFUL!) I'm thinking of leaving home ...!